Haircuts and Watermelon Seeds

Haircuts and Watermelon Seeds

Watermelon seeds. Something so completely useless to everyone in the world, and something no one would think of at any time. Completely worthless to the eye of the beholder, with its slippery black surface and almost bitter taste when one bites into it. Used for nothing except growing more watermelons.

But to me, it brings back countless memories with my best friend from summers from our past. Memories of eating slices and slices of the juicy red fruit on hot summer days at the curb of the road in front of our houses. Endless memories of Klein-Jonas barbeques every Friday since I can remember, each having a bowl of freshly cut watermelon set perfectly in the middle of the "Kid's Table" as the adults called it, where they shoved each of us kids over for dinner so they could talk about 'Adult things.' And I don't even know how many pounds of watermelon we've eaten, but I know it's tons. And hundreds of watermelon seeds have been spit out of our mouths.

But whatever, we kids could care less because we were having fun on our own. From getting soaked from water gun fights or being thrown in the pool to late night talks with each other when we slept outside to watch the stars.

Each and every night was special to me, even if those three boys didn't know it. One in particular, of course. How each night when we stayed up a little later than his brothers talking about the most random things were the memories I kept closest to me.

He's my best friend, not saying that his brothers aren't my best friends either. But he's the closest to me. His hair, the hair that I absolutely adore, is so brown and curly, bouncing every which way when he turns his head. The way his smile is crooked, his left going up just up a little farther than the right, makes me go weak at the knees in a second. His eyes.... His eyes are so gorgeous. The way they sparkle even with just the dimmest light, and how have a smile dancing in them, make me melt and get lost in them each time I look in them. And don't even get me started on his addicting laugh.

His voice, his absolutely amazing, soothing, insanely hott voice is to die for, making my stomach getbutterflies bats. Especially when he sings. When he sings, well, I don't even have words to describe his singing. It's so...beautiful. The way he's so passionate about music is just amazing. I don't think anyone could be so passionate about a certain thing, especially music.

He's just an all-around beautiful person, inside and out. As cliché as that sounds, it's one hundred percent true. He's beautiful.

Okay, so maybe I'm a little in love with him.... I mean, who wouldn't be? He's just...the perfect guy. The way he smiles at the smallest things, and the way his eyes sparkle in every light, and the way he laughs at the silliest stuff. Okay, so maybe I was a lot in love with him.... But, he's my best friend and I don't want to ruin such an amazing relationship.

A knocking on the door caught my attention from my computer, even though I already knew who it was. A smile formed on my face as I stood up, seeing my best friend walking towards me, a smile playing on his lips as well. He opened his strong arms, welcoming me for a big hug like he does every time he sees me. I gladly wrapped my scrawny arms around his torso, feeling his arms wrap tightly around me in a second. I inhaled deeply like I do always, taking in his intoxicating scent of his Polo Black cologne. His hot body was making me warm, so I pulled back, giving him a small smile when I saw his confused look.

"You're body is really hot right now, which is making me hot." I explained, pulling my ridiculously long black hair up into a messy bun. He gave me a nod, sitting down on my bed. "Ugh, I can't wait to cut this all off." I sighed, sitting back down on my bed.

He let out a laugh, shaking his head at me. "You're crazy. I keep telling you to keep all of your hair. I like it this long." He grabbed my rubber band and pulled my hair loose, letting it fall down to my waist. He ran his fingers through it, laughing when he saw me leaning into his hand. "It's gorgeous this long."

I groaned, falling back on my pillow. "It's such a hassle though! It's takes so long to get it straight! And don't even get me started on how long it takes to dry it!"

He laughed, falling next to me, giving me a little nudge in the ribs with his elbow. "So what? If it makes you this pretty, you should keep it. All of it."

I smiled, turning my head to look at him, noticing he was staring at the ceiling. "You're supposed to say that. You're my best friend." I said as I looked up at the ceiling myself. "It's your job."

He sighed, putting an arm around my shoulders so he could run his fingers through my hair. "No, my job as your best friend is to tell you how good you look, and how to look better, and how to go out in public."

I smiled, leaning into his body as I draped an arm over his stomach, feeling it go up and down as he breathed. "True. Which is why you're perfect for it."

"You better not let Kevin or Joe hear you say that. They'll die when they hear you say I'm your best friend." He chuckled, his stomach going up and down quickly.

I laughed along. "Joe and Kevin are just going to have to deal with it, I guess."

A sudden slamming of my door filled the air, causing Nick and I to jump a little, startling us.

"Speak of the devil, and the devil shall appear." I smiled, sitting up with Nick, causing him to laugh.

"Whatcha guys up to?" Joe asked, sitting on my desk chair, a poptart in his hand.

"Nothing." Nick and I said, causing us to laugh a little at our simultaneous talking.

"Exciting." Kevin joked, rolling his eyes.

I shrugged. "Nick was just telling me I shouldn't cut my hair off tomorrow."

"No way!" Kevin said, shaking his head. "Don't do it, Autumn! Don't cut your hair off! It's so pretty!"

"No way! Cut it off! It's way too long now!" Joe replied, shaking his head, his mouth half full with poptart.

I grinned, giving Joe a high-five. "See! He agrees!"

"You should get a fohawk! Then we can be twins!"

"Yeah, cause that's what I want." I smiled, rolling my eyes at his scowling face. "I was thinking shoulder length or something." I shrugged, playing with my hair. "Or I might just shave it all off and donate it to charity. That'd be pretty cool."

"No!" Both Kevin and Nick yelled, making me flinch. "Don't shave it off!"

"Why not? I think that'd be pretty cool. I'd be bald, though. But then again, I wouldn't have to wash my hair for a while." I said, lifting my hair to make it look really short. "That's a big possibility."

"Don't you dare." Nick glared, giving me a 'You better not' look, which I easily ignored, giving him a shrug.

"I'll probably shave it all off. Go bald for a while." I shrugged, looking at myself with my phone. "Anyways, enough talking about my hair, I'm hungry, and I think the barbeque is almost ready.

[&&HWS]

"Kids! Food's ready!"

The boys and I practically bolted down the stairs to get to my dad's and Mr. Jonas's grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. My mom's potato salad was on the table like always, waiting for all of us to devour it in seconds, and Mrs. Jonas's Caesar's sale was right next to it, sitting perfectly in view for our mouths to water. And, of course, in dead center of the "Kid's Table," as the adults still call it even though the youngest of us is sixteen, was freshly cut seeded watermelon.

I grabbed a hot dog, putting it in a poppy seed bun, and made it Chicago style, like I do always, putting all the fixings-celery salt, a slice of cucumber, onions, tomato, and mustard-neatly on top of it, making my plate as heavy as can be. I scooped a mountain high of potato salad on next, quickly putting a ton of Caesar's salad right next to it. I smiled, making my way over to the table, sitting down in my regular seat next to Nick on his left side so we wouldn't bump arms, who was already stuffing his face with potato salad.

I laughed lightly, shaking my head at him and I took a bit of my hot dog. "You're such a guy."

He shrugged, giving me a wink, which my my stomach flip. "What else would you want me to be? A girl?"

I giggled, nodding my head quickly. "Only at the dinner table."

Joe sat down then, a large pile of my mother's potato salad covering plate, his mouth already full of it. "I don't get it. Your mom's potato salad gets better and better every week. It's amazing."

Kevin sat next to him a minute later, his plate having as much food as mine did, making a face at my Chicago dog. "Yuck, I don't see how you eat that. It's so, ick!" He shuddered, putting a spoonful of salad in his mouth.

"It's delicious!" I smiled, taking another bite. "You're just crazy."

"No, you're just weird." He stuck his tongue out at me, so I stuck mine back at him, causing my best friend and his brother to laugh at us.

[&&HWS]

"Oh, my gosh. That was insanely good tonight. I don't think I've ever eaten so much." I said, holding my stomach with the hand that wasn't holding a slice of watermelon.

"I don't think I've ever eaten so much potato salad in my life." Joe said, spitting out a watermelon seed.

"I know! And Mom's Caesar's salad was AMAZING today!" Kevin agreed, taking a bite of watermelon himself. "I think this is the last piece I'll eat, then I'm off to bed."

"Yeah, me too." Joe agreed, his slice almost down to nothing.

"We'll see you tomorrow, Autumn, kay?" Kevin said, him and Joe standing up. I gave them each a hug before watching them walk back inside their house.

I sighed, setting my green rind down next to me, spitting out a few seeds before lying down next to Nick as we looked up at the sky.

It was currently one in the morning, when the stars are the brightest, and we all had just finished the last few slices of the watermelon.

Nick was falling asleep, I could tell, so I told he could go home and sleep, but he simply refused. "No, I want to stay up and talk to you. Like always." He said quietly, his fingers brushing through my hair like had done earlier.

My stomach got butterflies, and my mind was going a little fuzzy from just his twelve words. I knew I was blushing as red as a tomato. Thankfully he couldn't see. "You don't have to if you're tired. One night won't change."

"Yes, it will. Why ? Don't you want to talk to me?"

"Of course I want to talk to you! I just thought that if you were tired, you'd want to sleep."

He sighed deeply, his stomach falling quickly. "So many nights out here...."

I smiled slightly, giving a few nods. "I know, it's crazy. Doing the exact same thing." I sat up, putting my hair up in a messy bun as Nick sat up also. "Don't you ever get tired of doing the same thing?" I stood up, skipping out to the street and standing in the middle of it.

Nick shook his head, bringing his knees up a little so he could rest his arms on them. "No. I like doing this. Don't you?"

"I love doing this. It's just...I don't know. We've been best friends since I can remember. Doing the exact same thing every single Friday since we would practically walk."

He stood up, brushing himself off a little before slowly walking over to me. He stared down at me, practically towering over me with the eight inches he has on me, and took my face in his hands. My breath hitched in my throat, making it impossible for me to breathe, even though I felt like hyperventilating as he slowly leaned down. He stopped just an inch before his lips touched mine, and I could feel his cool breath. "Then let's make it a little different tonight." He whispered before crashing his lips on mine. My breathing stopped completely, but I didn't really care about that. I only cared about the way my best friend's lips moved slowly with mine. My knees were weak, and I could tell Nick noticed because he wrapped an arm around my waist to keep me from falling.

But I was falling. Falling hard for my best friend all over again.

He pulled back, and he was breathing just as hard as me, a smile dancing on his lips. "How's that for different?"

I swallowed hard, my lips tingling a little, and I looked up at him. His eyes had hope in them, anyone with eyes could see that. And love. Love especially. "That...that was different alright." I cleared my throat to break the awkward silence. "W-Well, I think it's my time to go to bed. I have to get up early. Night." I practically sprinted up to my room, my heart racing just as fast, and my lips tingled still from my best friend's kiss.

I plopped on my bed, staring up at my ceiling, wondering if my best friend, the boy I've been in love with for years, just kissed me, or if that was just a crazy dream I was having. I pinched myself, flinching from the pain. Okay, definitely not a dream. But was that really real? Was I just imagining that?

I turned over, looking out my window that was facing Nick's house. I could see him staring up at his ceiling, just like I was. I bit my lip, turning back over, my eyelids drooping from the sleepiness. Maybe I was imagining it.... But even if I was...that was an amazing kiss.

[&&HWS]

I took a deep breath, getting out of my car and walking into the beauty salon, my fingers playing with my hair a little. The door jingled as I opened the door, the bells clanging together as the door opened and closed.

Sandy-my hair stylist-looked over, and smiled. “Hey, Autumn! Give me just a second, I’m almost done with Angie.”

I nodded, smiling at her as I sat in one of the waiting chairs, picking up a ‘People’ magazine. I grinned once I saw Zac Efron of the front cover, shirtless. A few minutes passed, and the magazine was getting boring, so I set it down and looked at my hair in one of the nearby mirrors. I ran my fingers through it.

Do I want it all off? Do I want only a few inches off? Should I just walk away and keep it like this?

I groaned, sitting back down and picking up another magazine. This is impossible.

Just then, the door jingled again, catching my attention. A weird feeling washed through me, seeing a little girl walk in, holding her mom’s hand.

She looked so fragile. So sick. So…helpless.

But she had a large smile on her face. And a smile in her eyes. She looked as if she didn’t care if she could break by just a simple gust of the wind. She hopped over to Angie, and Angie took the girl in her arms, giving her a big hug.

“Skylar! How are you!”

The girl grinned. “Good! How are you, Angie?”

“I’m great! What can I do for you today?” Angie asked, setting the girl down.

“Is my wig ready yet?”

Angie sighed sadly, shaking her head. “No, I’m sorry, honey. No one is donating.”

The little girl sighed sadly, her head hanging.

I bit my lip, picking my hair up and looking at it. I have so much hair…. Ah, what the hell? Hair grows.

I stood up, slowly walking over to the little girl and Angie. “U-Uh, I couldn’t help but overhearing. But uhm, you know, since I have so much hair, and uh…you’re looking for a donator-“

“Oh, sweetie, you don’t have to do that.” The mom said, a look of hope in her eyes. Hope that I wouldn’t change my mind.

I shook my head. “I know, but I want to.” I bent down so I sat on my knees to get eye-level with the little girl. “Uh, do you like black hair?”

Her face formed a large grin, revealing that she had a few teeth missing, and her arms immediately wrapped around my neck. “Thank you!”

I smiled, wrapping my arms around her small body. “You’re welcome.”

[&&HWS]

I took a shaky breath, watching as Angie lifted the razor above my head. I was on the point of hyperventilating, thinking back to as long as I can remember. I’ve always had this long black hair. And now it’s about to be gone.

“You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to, Autumn.” Angie said, obviously seeing my scared look.

I shook my head quickly, my hand squeezing into tight fists. “No, I want to. I’m just a little scared.”

She smiled. “You’ll look amazing. Trust me.” She clicked the razor on, and my heart skipped a beat. “Here it goes.”

I squeezing my eyes shut, flinching a little when the cold razor hit the side of my head. It’s for a good cause….

[&&HWS]

I gasped, seeing myself in the mirror. My hand covered my mouth as I stared, seeing my black hair almost gone. “It’s…it’s all gone!” My head snapped to the floor, whimpering when I saw all my hair on the ground, getting swept up into a bag. It was short. Very short. But Angie didn’t cut it all off. It was half an inch long on the sides and back, but it was about an inch longer on the top, forming a fohawk. Just like Joe. “I look like Joe!”

Angie smiled, giving me a laugh. “You do!”

I grinned. “Thanks, Angie. It looks amazing.”

“You’re welcome. You don’t know how happy Skylar is for you doing this. I don’t think she’ll ever forget you.”

I smiled to myself, looking at my hands. “I’m glad I did it. It felt good.”

[&&HWS]

I bit my lip, slowly walking into my house. “Mom? Dad?”

Suddenly, numerous footsteps were running down the staircase, coming down full speed.

I took a deep breath, seeing practically the whole Jonas-Klein family run down the stairs, yelling out to see my new hair.

They all gasped, stopping in their tracks as their eyes landed on my hair.

I blushed, looking down at my hair. “I have a story on why it’s so short.”

[&&HWS]

“And that’s why it’s so short.” I finished, smiling as I saw everyone grinning at me.

“That’s so nice!” Mrs. Jonas smiled, and I quickly thanked her.

“I’m proud of you, honey.” My dad smiled, and I blushed.

“We look like twins! This is so cool!” Joe yelled, giving me a high-five, causing me to laugh.

I looked over at Nick, worrying once I saw that he was the only one who wasn’t smiling. He wasn’t even looking at me. I bit my lip. “Nick, what do you think?”

He sighed, his eyes flicking towards me. “Can we talk? Please?”

I nodded, excusing myself as I followed him outside to the backyard. My heart was thumping from being so nervous, and my knees were starting to get weak as my hands shook.

What this boy does to me….

“What’s up, Nick? Don’t you like it?” I asked, worried. His opinion mattered the most to me. Everyone else I could care less about.

He sighed, running his hand through his curly hair, making me melt just looking at that. “Autumn…I-I’m sorry about last night. Or...well, this morning, I guess. I didn’t mean to kiss you. I guess…I don’t know. I’m…I’m sorry.” He said quietly, his head hanging.

I inhaled sharply, my heart going even faster than I though possible. “That’s…you’re sorry?”

He only nodded.

“But…but I liked it.” I whispered, his head snapping up at my words.

“You did?”

I nodded, looking at my feet as I gave him a shrug. “Well…yeah. Of course I did.” His feet were in front of mine, his body just as close, causing me to look up. I flinched from him staring down at me, his eyes full of wonder.

He took a deep breath. “Autumn…ever since I can remember, ever since we’ve been best friends, I’ve always…liked you. Like, liked you liked you. A-And…then I started to…l-love you. And I thought it was so stupid to be in love with my best friend, cause I knew you never liked me that way, so I tried to stop, but I could. I just…couldn’t. It was too hard. All those past girlfriends I had? You wanna know the real reason they never worked out?” He took another deep breath, obviously nervous. Trust me, he wasn’t the only nervous one. “It was because I kept comparing them to you. I always wanted to have a girlfriend just like you. Incredibly sweet, beautiful, funny, and just someone I could be myself around. And…and they never were as amazing as you. W-What I’m trying to say is…Autumn Marie, I’m in love with you and I always have been, and I always will be.”

My eyes went wide, my whole mind going blank. My knees went weak, and Nick quickly caught me, but I didn’t notice because I had to keep my heavy breathing calm. My stomach had bats again. I looked up at Nick, smiling once I saw a worried and hopeful look on his face. “Are you done?”

He only nodded again.

“Do you know how long I’ve been waiting for you to say that?”

A smile was suddenly on his face as he brought my face into his hands, like he did the first time. And he crashed his lips against mine. And everything went fuzzy. I only cared about one thing-well two things: One: Not falling from my knees going weak, and two: my best friend, the boy I’ve been in love with since I can remember, telling me he loves me.

He pulled back suddenly, a smirk dancing on his lip. “You know, with this new haircut, which I love by the way, everyone is going to think I’m kissing a guy.”

I laughed, hitting him playfully on his chest. “Just shut up and kiss me.”

And he did. So amazingly.

But I pulled back again, confusing him. I blushed. “By the way…I love you too.”

“Just shut up and kiss me.” He joked, crashing his lips back onto me.

[&&HWS]

“Dinner is ready!”

Nick, Joe, Kevin, and I bolted down the stairs, rushing past our moms as we made our way to the backyard, the aroma of barbeque and watermelon enveloping us as we got closer and closer. I grabbed a hotdog, making it the way I always do, and grabbed some potato salad and Caesar’s salad before heading my way over to the “Kid’s Table” next to mybest friend boyfriend.

Everyone came to the table, Joe’s plate having more potato salad than last week, and Kevin’s having more Caesar’s salad. Nick grabbed my hand, causing us to both blush, but thankfully no one noticed because they were all too busy shoving food down their throats.

I smiled, seeing the bowl of seeded watermelon in the middle of the table, like always.

[&&HWS]

“Tonight was seriously the best night. The food was amazing.” Joe commented, spitting out a watermelon seed.

The rest of us nodded in agreement, spitting out our own seeds as well.

“Yeah, Mrs. Klein’s potato salad was to die for tonight.” Nick smiled, winking at me. I blushed.

I sighed, looking up at the black sky, the stars the brightest they could possibly be tonight. I leaned my head on Nick’s shoulder, closing my eyes a little. “It’s perfect tonight.”

Nick grabbed my hand, lacing our fingers slowly as he kissed me on the lips once.I blushed as red as a tomato.

No, scratch that.

I blushed as red as a seeded watermelon.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope you loooooved it! (: commennttt please.

Word count: 4156