Status: New! :)

Why I'm Home

9

Half way through dinner Sarah’s phone started ringing, she right away noticed it was Zack calling and answered it. “Hello?”

“I need help.”

“Help with what? Why is Kayden crying like that?”

“I don’t know! He won’t stop, I’ve changed him, fed him, rocked him. Nothing is working.

“I’ll be there in ten.” She told him as she hung up her phone and looked at the two men she was out to dinner with, both had a look on their faces that told that they were interested in why he had called and where she was going to be in ‘ten‘. “I need to go to Zack’s and I left my car at you house.” She told the two of them.

“Let me get the check and we’ll leave.”

The three of them waited patiently for the waitress to bring back the check and three to go boxes so they could take their dinners with them, since they hadn’t even began eating yet.

As soon as Sarah got to the front porch she could hear the cries of her baby, she didn’t even bother knocking. All three of them barged into the small apartment where Kaden was. Sarah headed right for the living room where you could tell his screams were coming from.

“What did you do to him?!” Rian asked from the doorway of the room while Sarah made her way over to her son and took him into his arm cooing and rocking him trying to calm him down some.

“ I didn’t do anything, he just won’t stop crying.”

Not even five minutes of Sarah holding him and she had him completely quiet and she was wiping the tears off of the red faced baby. She felt bad that he had gotten so worked up, and she felt bad that he spent so long crying.

“You have got to be kidding me.” Zack scoffed as he began to feel the worry go away and the anger take his place. This whole time he had thought something was really wrong with him, that he was hurt or sick, and all he wanted was to be with his mom. He couldn’t believe that even at this age he knew who his mom was.

“He just doesn’t know you yet.” She told him as she wrapped him in a blanket and kept rocking him in her arms.

“All that because you just missed mamma?” Rian cooed to the small baby from over her shoulder. “You sure have a good set of lungs there little guy.” Rian told him as Sarah handed him over to him and motioned for Zack to follow her into another room so they could talk, which she knew would most likely end up with Zack yelling like he always did when she tried to have a simple conversation with him. “So, do you still wanna keep him over night?” She asked him, she could already tell he was in a bad mood from the events that had just taken place.

“No.”

“It’s gonna be the same thing Zack. You can’t expect him to be okay with you when he doesn’t even know you. You don’t spend time with him. He isn’t gonna be comfortable with you until you’re a constant in his life. It’s not rocket science. Your own son is more comfortable with your band mates than he is with you and it’s because you don’t care.”

“Don’t tell me I don’t care. If I didn’t care you wouldn’t be here right now.”

“You didn’t care nine months ago and you sure as hell don’t care now. You didn’t want him! Or me. So why now?”

“Because.”

“That’s not a fucking answer! I am so tired of this. It is always going to be like this with you!”

“I fucked up! Alright? I know I was wrong! I was an idiot. I’m just trying to make up for it.”

“Well you have a lot to make up for.” She told him as she felt the tears threaten to start falling down her face.

“It’s not that fucking easy Sarah! You‘re being unfair!”

“I’m being unfair?! This whole situation is unfair, Zack! It never was then and it sure as hell isn’t now! You’re out with your friends living your life and seeing your dreams come true right before your eyes and I’m stuck here. I don’t have time for dreams anymore! I had to drop out of college, I work at a fucking shitty coffee house full time. Do you have any idea how unfair this is for me?! So don’t you dare try and use the line that this isn’t fair. ‘Cause you’re right, this isn’t fair, for me.

“Okay, lets turn this into a sob story. Let this all be about you.”

“You are such an ass hole!”

“And you’re a bitch!

She looked at him with tears in her eyes, she had to blink a couple times so you could see clearly. She had no idea what to say to him. “That’s enough. Zack get Kaden’s things together and Sarah load him in his seat.” Sarah walked away from Zack and took her son out of her cousin’s arms and headed to the other room to put him in his seat.