Status: rockin the key board!

Open Minds

Only in a forest

Shannon's POV

I headed to double chemistry using the long route to get there; I heard a rustle in the bushes close to the path. Me being a safety freak ran as fast as I possibly could (which isn’t saying much). I entered the science block on the other side of the building huffing and puffing. “Geez Shannon you’re worse than a smoker!” I heard a familiar voice say from a table close by, I glared at him. I sat at a table at the other side of the room, “You know Declan for that insult, which I assume was a very crappy insult, to work I actually have to care what you think. Which I don’t, so next time try insult someone who cares” I remarked while walking across the room to a table. I felt someone sit next to me, I turned to look at him or her and nearly fell off the table in shock. Luckily I didn’t, but I did sort of gasp at the new guys presence. Thank God Mr. Nelson walked into the room before he could speak to me, let alone look at me. “Alright, today class we’ll be doing something fun to sort of introduce you to chemistry this year. Keep in mind this will possibly be one of the hardest courses you’ll take this year, I know some of you are probably thinking how can mixing stuff together be hard. Well let me just tell you, mix the wrong ‘things’ together and you could leave class without a finger or two” some of the students laughed at his joke, Mr. Nelson is one of my favourite teachers. I kind of hated him for a while because he married my mum last year, but its fun because we do all these experiments at home. It was hard the first couple of months, but he made mum happy which in turn made me happy. I remember the first time I called him dad he smiled like he won the lottery, it makes me smile too just thinking about it. “So you’ll be mixing mentos and coke. Sounds easy right? We’ll then you’ll have to get the mentos to shoot up nearly to the roof. First person to succeed gets a prize. Get in pairs now!” dad loves to do practical work more than theory. I really wish Nirali or Taylah chose to do this course with me, so then I would at least know people won’t use me in this class because I’m the best at chemistry because my dad helps me at home. “Shannon wanna be partners” Declan called across the room while thrusting his hips in a dirty manner. I sighed in disgust and turned my head, I heard at least 3 more people ask me to be their partner but I ignored them all. I’d rather work on my own than be used. The guy sitting next to me, who I recognized as Dimitri, was back at our desk with the equipment, I had a confused expression on my face. I don’t remember being his partner; let alone hearing him move to get the equipment. He looked at me, “Oh I’m sorry I just assumed since you rejected all the others that we were partners. If I’m wrong I can go with someone else.” I looked at him blankly trying to register what he just said, he almost looks the same as Alexander, well I mean duh they are triplets! “No it’s okay I’ll go with you” I got up off the chair and grabbed the bottle and mentos.

Before I knew it I had done the experiment all by myself, I felt guilty I had taken control I was too busy talking to Dimitri I didn’t realize I did the whole thing, “I’m sor-” I was cut off by him, “No it’s okay I had fun talking and I didn’t object did I” I thought about it for a moment, he didn’t say anything while I was doing it. “But still I shouldn’t ha-” I was cut off again but this time by my dad, “WE HAVE A WINNER!” he took my hand an Dimitri’s and held them up for the others to see. Almost everybody groaned, dad looked at me, “I hope you let Dimitri have a turn too Shannon” I looked away from his eyes, I hate it when he’s mad at me, “No she did and explained it to me when I stuffed up” I vaguely heard Dimirti say, I gave dad a small smile. “You two can talk for the rest of the lesson” he seemed pleased with me and walked away.

I heard the bell ring signally the end of the day. I walked back with Dimirti to my locker, laughing the whole way. He is just so damn funny! When I saw Nirali and Taylah I ran up to them, Dimirti walking a little bit faster behind me. I don’t know what they talked about because I was too busy staring at Alex who was watching us on the other side of the room. Next thing I know Taylah is running away, wait I know that look. She uses it when she’s trying to be strong, mask her face but inside she’s crying. I started to run after her, but I felt someone tug on my arm. Okay tug is the wrong word, I felt someone pull my arm really hard which made me fall backwards and to smack my arse on the ground. “Ow!” I tried to stand back up and slapped away the arms that tried to help me. I “Look buddy you can’t just stop people in the hallway when one of their friend’s crying and they need to know what’s wrong.” I looked up angrily into the eyes of Alex, I was mad but that didn’t stop me from blushing. He looked like he wanted to smile, “that’s the second time you’ve called me your buddy” he leaned in closer and whispered in my ear, “Watch out I’m starting to think you like me” I was flustered, didn’t know what to say. I took in sharp breaths and tried to think of some comeback but it was nearly impossible with the way he was looking at me. He started to laugh when I couldn’t think of a comeback, “Keep dreaming” ahh finally one came, I know it was lame but it was all I could think of okay! I pulled my arm again, but I felt a shiver. This shiver normally comes when I’m, about to see something.

It was cold and dark; I was a girl in a white dress running for her life. It felt hard to breathe from running so much and so fast. I turned down a dark alley and hid behind a wall. I was trying to keep my breathing under control, but it was hard. I opened my eyes and looked up eyes that were back and looked like death. I screamed repeatedly, but it was no use. The monster bit into my neck and sucked savagely at my blood.

I opened my eyes and looked up at Alex; he looked just like the monster in my flash. I gasped and pulled my arm away from him and walked out the door, well ran out the door. Walking home I realized how stupid I was being. It’s probably from a horror movie or something, but it looked so much like Alex. I’m starting to lose faith in my abilities.

When I got home I went straight up to my room and laid on my bed and fell asleep. I was running barefooted through a forest always looking behind me to make sure nothing was following me. I didn’t know what I was running from; all I knew was that I had to run. I hid behind a tree, suddenly Alex appeared, “Alex? What are you doing here? RUN!” I wanted to protect him from what I was running from. He stepped closer to me, “Alex I said run” but he didn’t listen, instead he leaned forward and kissed me. I forgot about everything in that moment: what I was running from, why I feel afraid of him while trying to protect him at the same time. His lips moved down my neck and I felt a sharp pain. I lifted my finger to my neck and felt something wet, I lifted my hand and saw blood. I looked at Alex in horror and saw him smile. He walked away leaving me to die.

I screamed in terror while falling off my bed onto the ground. “OW!” I yelped in pain. “Shannon are you alright?” mum called from the kitchen downstairs. “Yeah I’m fine” I got up and walked to the mirror and lifted my hair out of the way, nothing. Good it was just a dream. I remembered the bite and started to cry. I ran to grab my phone and dialed a number. After ringing for what seemed like forever someone answered, "Taylah.." I started sobbing and scraming.