Sequel: Traveling Backwards
Status: Finished. You guys were awesome<3

You Just Broke Every Stereotype

Human

"...Dead? You mean like, he's a vampire right? So he's dead in that sense?" I stumbled on my words in desperation to get them out faster.
"I'm afraid he was dead before the transformation could be completed. He died as a human, Jaydee. I'm sorry for your loss." Dr. Reed bowed his head and turned to go.
The rage that had been building up inside me finally broke free. I grabbed Dr. Reed's filthy shirt collar, pulling him back and pinned him against the wall right inside the door. His 'guards' barely even moved. I didn't question. "This is your fault! You killed my uncle! Doctors aren't suppose to make mistakes like this!"
"We're only human, Jaydee," the doctor managed to croak out as I was slightly crushing his windpipe with my arm.
I loosed my force against him a little at the mention of the word "Human".
I had forgotten Dr. Reed was a human.
He was like me. He had a beating heart and regulated body temperature. I wasn't alone yet. Even with my uncle gone, I wasn't the only human left.
I breathed a huge sigh of relief and let Dr. Reed fall in a heap on the floor. I wasn't really angry at him for letting my uncle die. We weren't very close. I was angry at him, I thought, leaving me as the only human.
But he didn't.
I looked down at the pathetic-looking man piled at my feet and extended my hand to him.
"I'm sorry," I said as I helped to pull him up.
"You're forgiven," he answered, avoiding eye contact with me.
I don't think I was truly forgiven.
Dr. Reed caught something out of the corner of his eye. I saw him take a double take and his eyes widen. "What...what's that on your rug?" he asked.
I turned to look at the spot on the carpet where the black liquid had splattered.
I looked...different.
It looked...almost alive. Tentacle-like figures would grow out of it and shrink back down. The movements reminded me of a lava lamp.
"Could I...possibly...take a sample of that? I'd like to study it back at the lap," Rd. Reed was kneeling next to it, getting has close he could without touching it.
"Sure..." I was trying not to judge him. It was just chicken soup and blood. I didn't understand why he was so interested. Of course it was weird, but this was hell. Everything's kind of weird.
The doctor let one of the tentacles grow and he closed it inside the vile he had, careful not to touch it with his skin.
"I'll tell you what I find. IN the meantime, stay away from it. It could be dangerous." Dr. Reed explained as he stowed away the tube in his back pocket.
I just nodded and followed him back to the door. I closed it after he left and looked at it.
Wolf came out from his room and grabbed his shoes to leave.
He reached for the doorknob and tried to open it. "Who the fuck locked the door?" he complained, kicking it.
Startled by his tone, I backed up into Lurk. He put his hand on my should. Wolf fished keys from his pocket and unlocked the door.
"Where are you going?" Lurk asked Wolf.
"To return her fucking wedding ring." Wolf pointed at me accusingly, then stormed out the door.
"I thought he was okay with it...with waiting...why is he return it.."I buried my face in Lurk's chest.
"Wolf is basically like, Bi=polar. No one understands why he does what he does. Don't worry too much about it, Jaydee."
We stood there hugging for awhile. I didn't mind. At least instead of feeling numb, I could feel cold.
I thanked him and sulked over to the couch. I was trying to watch some news report about the human blood scandal. Apparently our school wasn't the only place where this was happening.
Wolf came home with the same angered expression he left with. I contemplated getting up and following after him so I could ask what was wrong, but thought better of it.
I spread out on the couch, turned so I faced the back and drifted off to sleep.
---XXX---
"Jaydee! We missed you. Where have you been the past two years?" My old friends. All just standing there, looking at me. They were calm about it. Someone goes missing two years and no even worried or searched for them?
Wait. But...
"I've been gone for TWO YEARS?!" I burst out, confused as anything.
"Hmm? Oh yeah. You're just in the for graduation though! How was the boarding school you went to?"
Who said that? Why can't I recognize their voice? I've known these guys since freshman year. But they seem like strangers. Doesn't help that I couldn't see their faces. It was just a blurry mess. I kept blinking, trying to focus my eyes. But they wouldn't.
Boarding school?
Right, right. The thought I went to my uncle's boarding school when my parents died.
They thought it was on Earth.
Ha.
"She worships the devil now, Jaydee." The girl they were pointing to nodded her head.
Hmmm.
That's weird.

---XXX----
I jerked awake at the knock at the front door.
Dr. Reed again. Who the fuck else.
"Jaydee. Jaydee...You have something very rare in there," he was out of breath, like he had ran here.
"What? Oh, the spill? Yeah, what is it?" I asked, yawning and cracking my knuckles.
"What you have here, Miss Alino...is a portal to Earth."
♠ ♠ ♠
last chapter, guys. </3
GO READ THE SEQUEL>>>>Traveling Backwards
i love all the fans of this book. you are always in my heart!
thank you for bearing with me as i lost my co-author. it was tough. but we made it<3