Two Roads at Wits End

Anya Ballerina

A frail-looking little girl of 9 is being held by her mother with her right hand. They were walking towards the Imperial Ballet School in Russia through the snow. This little girl was rather pale yet there seemed to be a radiant happiness in it. She was going to the ballet school to have an interview so she could be admitted in the school. The heavy wooden door was pushed open as they entered. They were directed to the headmistress's office for the interview. Once they were all settled, the headmistress started asking questions. It was all about the little girl, her health and even her eating habits! The headmistress made the little girl take off her coat so she could see whether her body was suitable for ballet. She examined the girl well and it seemed that this little girl was just too weak and frail. Still, there seemed to be something special in her. Of course this headmistress has seen so many girls walk in and out of this office yet she has never felt like this about any other girl before. She decided to give the girl a go and admitted her to the school.

So, that's how it all started for this little ballerina named Anastasia Heny or Anya for short.

******************************************************

Throughout the years, Anya lived faraway from her family. She was from Norway but made her parents let her study ballet in Russia for she believed that this was the only way she can achieve her dream. Only her mother lived with her though they would visit every Christmas or some other occasion. Her years at the Imperial Ballet School has always been busy though she was always at the top of her class. From Monday up to Saturday, they had classes. On Sundays they just rest. Her frail body soon gained strength with all the lessons she had. Anya was every bit the promising and talented student that she is. It was even shown at a very young age.

*******************************************************

The now sixteen year old Anya woke up from her bed as she stifled a yawn. Anya now doesn't live with her mother and she now stays in the ballet school's dorm. She heaved out a deep sigh as she looked out the window overlooking the snow covered ballet school near her dorm.

"Another day for some tough training!" she said with a smile as she stood up and brushed her hair. Anya fixed herself and soon went downstairs for breakfast with all the other students of the ballet school. Breakfast was soon over and they all headed down to their classes. Their classes lasted all day since they're now pre-professional. Their teachers are now tougher on them than they had ever been since these classes would help increase their chances in getting accepted into a company.

It was finally the end of the day and they were a all dismissed. They went back to the dining room and ate their dinner. When all that was done they soon retired to their dorms to prepare for another rigorous day of training. Meanwhile, Anya was finally in her dorm and she hung her toe shoes by her dresser and sat on her bed. She placed her hands in her face and couldn't help but think how empty she felt.

***************************
This was how a typical day of ballet was to Anya.