Two Roads at Wits End

At Peace for Now

Finally a new day came and it's a Monday. The weather isn't as bad as it was yesterday and even few streaks of gold could be seen through the dark gray clouds. Anya rose up and got ready for another day of training. As she opened the door, a package has arrived for her. It seems to be from Mikel.
"Must be the coat he offered to wash..." she muttered to herself as she opened the package. The package was finally opened and to her horror, her crisp white coat has been shrunk and wrinkled. Her face turned bright red as she was fuming. Her hands were shaking to think how messed up she was in letting Mikel the jerk wash her coat. To think he even knows how to was his own clothes! Anya pushed the door open as she stormed out her room and into the dining hall where everyone was. Finally in the distant corner of the room she spotted Mikel.
"YOU!!!" she shouted at him as she drew nearer.
"What the heck did you do to my coat?!" she said with obvious anger. Then she looked at Mikel and noticed his expression seemed to be confused.
"Excuse me? I did not know what happened to your coat..." he said then a sly smile appeared on his face.

Anya just stared at him angrily. Just as she was about to yell at him some more, Madame, a tall and graceful yet old woman came walking towards them. Immediately, Anya's anger subsided as she turned to face Madame.
"Good day, to the both of you. How good it is that I found you both at the same place and time." she said with a rather odd accent.
Mikel was puzzled and so he asked. "What do you mean Madame?"
"What I mean is that you two were chosen to do a pas de deux from the ballet, Romeo and Juliet for the special performance in La Scala this season. The pas de deux I was referring to is of course from the balcony scene where the lovers meet despite their family's feud.

Anya just couldn't help but laugh. "You're joking right? I mean...we're only students and you want us to perform already.......with...with him?!" she said with her voice getting weaker by the end of the sentence.
"Yes, Ms. Heny...Now, I want you two to learn the role and start training tomorrow." she said then turned her back on them. With a few steps she turned back and gave them a stern look. "Is that clear?"
"Yes Madame!" the both of them answered in unison.

As Madame left, Anya turned to face Mikel.
"I can't believe that I have to dance such a beautiful role with an insensitive jerk like you especially in La Scala......of all things!" she hastily said.
"Well...I can't help myself for being such a great dancer!" Mikel said in a rather haughty voice.
"Why you............you're conceited too! Well...I'm off to the basement to practice while you twitter your time admiring yourself in front of a gigantic mirror!" she said very angrily then stormed off.

Anya arrived in the basement with a towel and a pair of pointes in her arms. She was dressed in the standard tights and leotards the school required. Walking over to the stereo, she got the CD for the music of the pas de deux and placed it inside to play. While the music was playing, she tied on her shoes as she was imagining herself dancing to this piece. Suddenly the door erupted open as a tall figure came in. It was Mikel and it seemed like he was dressed to practice. Anya just ignored him but Mikel came forward and turned off the stereo.

"Hey, I know that we never really got along but this performance is really important and this could even make or break our careers. In fact....I really am not comfortable doing this dance with someone mad at me especially when this pas de deux ends with..." Mikel said but trailed off at the last part of the sentence.
"........ugh...Dare I say it.....it ends with a kiss." Anya said with also a not so pleasing expression on her face.
"What I'm really trying to say is that we should at least try to get along starting with this practice and just forget the conflict between us." he said with the utmost sincerity.
Anya was silent for a while almost believing Mikel's suddenly being sincere. It ended when a huge smirk was etched on his face.
"...by the way, I kinda sent that shrunken, damaged coat as a joke but don't worry...the one that's yours and of course is in perfect condition is here." he said with a rather goofy smile as he handed Anya her crisp white coat.
"Gee...I don't know what to say." she said sarcastically. "That was a totally stupid joke!" she said as she playfully punched Mikel in the shoulders.
"Seriously, I really do want us to get along so do you want to get started?" he asked as he walked over to the stereo to turn on the music.
"Sure." Anya said with a smile while heading off in a préparation position.