Theft.

1/1

“I don’t know if this is going to work, Finn. We’re both going far away, I’m going all the way to New York and you’re going all the way to Texas. I’ve never been one to support long-distance relationships because I feel it just puts a strain on them, and I don’t want our relationship to have a strain.”

“So you’re just ending it instead?”

“No. Well, yes. You deserve the opportunity to be able to see who you want without having to worry about me. I’m sorry, Finn, but this has to happen.”


Rachel hadn’t even given him a second glance when she walked away, walking out of the halls of McKinley and walking out of his life. Finn hadn’t been able to move out of the shock of the sudden breakup but now he wished he could have ran after her, said something, anything to make her stay, but before he could even regain the power to move to she was gone.

The first few weeks of summer were awful. Finn knew he should have been packing for the University of Texas, but he couldn’t bring himself to even think about college. College meant leaving Lima, leaving Rachel. He had managed to put together a full ride to UT thanks to scholarships from Glee and sports, and while that was a good thing, Rachel had landed a full ride to Julliard (of course) which meant she was going all the way to New York. That led to the breakup, which led to the first few weeks of summer being awful.

Finn had never been happier than when he was with Rachel, and he had never been more miserable when he wasn’t. It got to the point where he would just go to work, come home and sleep because there was nothing else to do. She had stopped answering his phone calls, stopped replying to his text messages, and stopped keeping any contact with him.

“Dude, you have to snap out of this. She broke up with you three weeks ago. Either do something to win her back or give up.” Puck said, hitting him on the back to snap him out of another one of his moping dazes. Finn shook his head, running his fingers through his hair.

“I don’t know what to do. You know Rachel; once she sets her mind to something she doesn’t like to change it.”

“Yeah, but I also know she’s a sucker for anything you say or do.” Puck said, raising his eyebrows to make his point. Finn shrugged.

“Apparently not.”

“Have you tried anything?”

“I’ve been calling her every day, Puck.”

“You know Rachel loves theatrics. Do something big. She’ll be back in your arms in no time.” Puck said, leaving Finn in his thoughts. It took him awhile, but finally Finn thought of something that would sweep Rachel off her feet.

“Puck! I’m gonna need your help.”

Three hours later when their shift was over, Puck had pulled Finn’s truck around the back.

“Normally I would never agree to steal something, so consider yourself lucky we’re best friends.” Puck said, jumping out of the truck and moving into the back of the Sheets ‘N Things. Finn just laughed, moving towards the stack of ladders. Puck rolled his eyes but helped Finn lift the ladder that was on top, carrying it quickly to the back of the truck.

“I owe you one, man.” Finn said, jumping into the driver’s seat of the truck. Puck waved his hand.

“Yeah, you owe me big time. Now go win back your crazy girlfriend.” Puck said, grinning before turning around and walking back into the store. Finn started up the truck and drove back to his house. He knew that Rachel left for college at the same time he did, so she was still in town. Most of the kids were just living at home with their parents, and Finn knew where Rachel’s house before and he knew exactly where her room was from that one time they went in there after nationals junior year. This was perfect. If this couldn’t help him win Rachel back, nothing could.

On his way home, he stopped by the florists shop and picked up a dozen red roses, tying them with a pink string. He planned his speech over and over again, trying to figure out just what would be right.

He waited until it was dark and he knew Rachel would be in her room. He took his truck with the ladder in the back to her house, parking a few houses away. He picked up the ladder, carrying it easily to the back of the Berry house. He leant it against the wall where Rachel’s room was, and grinned when he saw it reached up to right below her window. He started climbing and knocked on her window, holding onto the windowsill to keep his balance with one hand and holding the roses in the other. Through the curtains he could see someone moving around, walking towards the curtains. They flew open, revealing Rachel in her nightgown.

“Finn? What are you doing here?”

“Rachel, look, I don’t care that we’re going to be across the country from each other. I don’t care that I won’t be able to see you every day, we can figure something out. We can talk over the phone or Skype or something, but I don’t want to let you go. I don’t want to date anyone else but you. I love you, Rach, more than I’ll ever love anyone.” Finn spoke quickly, his carefully prepared words flying out of his mind as he looked at her. He was speaking from his heart now, trying to convey his feelings as much as possible. It was silent for a few minutes while Rachel thought, her eyes darting over his face and down to the ladder and then to the roses in his hand, her bottom lip firmly stuck between her teeth. Finn felt his heart sinking into his stomach, rejection hitting him like a slap to the face.

“Never mind, I guess, uh, these are yours, I’ll just-” He mumbled, putting the flowers on the windowsill, cut off by a gentle hand on his shoulder. He looked up, finding Rachel smiling shyly. She didn’t say anything, just leaned forward and kissed him softly, reminding them both of a moment they had sophomore year before Regionals. She pulled back, and he smiled, his smile turning into a grin and she laughed softly, stepping back from the window.

“You should come in before you fall, Finn.” He nodded, quickly scrambling through the window and into her room. He looked down at her, smiling sheepishly. She smiled again, wrapping her arms around his waist and pulling him close.

“I love you, Finn, and this just proves that not only am I dumb for ever thinking I could not only live without you but force that upon myself and you. I am so sorry.” She said, looking up at him. “I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.” Finn just grinned again, shaking his head.

“You’re silly, Rachel. Of course I forgive you.” He leaned down, kissing her forehead. She smiled brightly, hugging him tightly again. He smiled, wrapping his arms around her and holding her close. An amused smile played over his lips and he chuckled. She looked up.

“What’s so funny?”

“I stole a ladder to steal your heart back.” He said, a pleased grin replacing his amused smile. She laughed, hitting his chest playfully.

“You better return that thing. I will not be responsible for the cause of your going to jail.” She said, looking up at him with a mock scolding look. A grin slipped onto his face.

“Oh, I won’t get caught. It’ll be back tomorrow morning.” He promised and she smiled brightly.

“Good. I’ll sleep much better knowing that.” He chuckled, and she stood on her tiptoes, kissing him again. With a promise to call her as soon as the ladder had been returned, Finn left the roses in her room and climbed down the ladder, feeling much more content than he had been feeling in a long time.