Status: Start Date: July 1, 2010. Finish Date: N/A

Drop Dead Bitches

The Fire

Chapter 2: The Fire
They always sat in the center of the lunch room ever since their freshman year but at that time there were only five of them until Ryan Washington joined the bitch pack just this year.
Caitlyn sat next to Colin who sat next to his new best friend Ryan and across from Ryan sat Alexis and next to Alexis was Derek and next to Derek was Caitlyn’s best friend and Colin’s girl friend, Theresa.
“Is that all you’re going to eat?” Theresa asked Caitlyn.
“Yes. I don’t want to be a fat cheerleader,” she responded as she quickly glanced at Theresa’s tray which Theresa didn’t catch because she was to busy staring into her boyfriend, Colin’s eyes.
Caitlyn rolled her eyes.
“Hey, so I think we should host an end of the summer bonfire at Crystal Cove,” Alexis said then took a bite of her salad.
“Yeah, Theresa and I were just talking about doing something like that last week,” Caitlyn said.
Alexis smirked at Caitlyn then turned away from her. “It’ll be fun. Just invite a whole lot of people and celebrate the last day of warmth and full on sun until Autumn comes.”
“Yeah, that would be a great idea,” Derek said.
“I know,” Alexis said smugly. “Are you guys in?”
Everybody agreed on the plan except for Caitlyn who everyone turned to, waiting for her approval.
“No one said you had to come,” Alexis said.
“I’m in,” Caitlyn said, glaring at Alexis.
“When should we do it?” Colin asked.
Alexis took out her phone and looked at the weather. “This Saturday. It’s going to be the warmest day until the weather decides to get all Seattle on us.”
“So how’re people going to find out?” Ryan asked.
“He’s so clueless,” Alexis said. “I love it. Look around you, child.”
Ryan looked around the cafeteria and it was already swarming with whispers as people spread the word about the bonfire.
“But… how?” Ryan asked.
“You have a lot to learn,” Colin said.
When Saturday came, the weather was flawless. Not a cloud in sight but it wouldn’t be that way for long since Autumn was just around the corner.
The Bitches got ready for the beach, the girls putting on the bikini’s with daisy dukes on top, moisturizing their skin, and doing their hair. The guys slipped on their shorts, grabbed their surf board and they were set.
Alexis’s Jeep honked outside of the DuPaul home and Caitlyn looked out of the window.
“I really don’t want to get a ride with her,” Caitlyn sighed.
“Come on, she isn’t that bad,” Colin said.
“She broke up with you because you hung around me too much! Does she not realize that we’re related. Goodness, she’s so stupid.”
“And she’s also my best friend now. Please be nice to her. For me,” Colin pressed.
Caitlyn glared at him and folded her arms. “Fine. But only because I don’t want to give her the satisfaction that I’m not getting a ride with her because she gets to me.”
“But she does get to you….”
“Shut up.”
Colin jumped into the passenger seat and Caitlyn sat in the back with Ryan.

“Theresa, what’s taking you so long?” Derek called, on the other side of the bathroom door.
“Uhm… hold on. I’m having a minor difficulty with my top.” Theresa flipped the switch, the fan turning on so that Derek wouldn’t be able to hear what she was doing.
After a couple minutes, Theresa swung open the door. “Finished!”
“It’s about time. Everybody else already left! And why are you wearing a shirt over your bikini?”
“Then why didn’t you just hitch a ride with them? And because I want to.”
“Because I can’t stand being in the same place with Ryan, there was no more room, and you begged me to drive you because your license got suspended.”
“I’m sorry,” Theresa murmured, placing her hand on Derek’s chest, running her hand from his shoulder down his chest and back up.
“What’re you doing?” he asked.
“You just look so sexy,” she murmured, running her fingers over his body.
Derek stared at her hand as it moved down his chest, trying to gain control over his hormones. Suddenly his hand grabbed Theresa’s before it could get any lower. “Not right now,” he said firmly.
“Then when?” she cried. “Derek, now that we’re alone and together why can’t we? I’ve been waiting all summer for you to get back from England and waiting even longer for us to be alone together without Colin suspecting anything! Please, just this one time.”
“Theresa, I can’t. Colin is my friend,” Derek said.
“So! He doesn’t have to know. He didn’t find out all the other times we did it so what makes another time so different?”
“My morals are different. I’m different. We’re different. I can’t do this. I’m sorry. We better get going before we’re late to the bonfire.” Derek turned around and headed for the stairs.
“Derek!” Theresa called from behind.
Derek turned around and there stood Theresa, her entire bikini on the ground.
Derek cursed under his breath, quickly walking toward Theresa, pushing her into her bedroom and closing the door behind him.

“Well, it’s about time!” Caitlyn called, walking over to Theresa and Derek as they got out Derek’s car.
“Sorry, there was… traffic,” Theresa said and smiled.
“Hi, Derek,” Caitlyn said shyly. Derek was the only person in the world Caitlyn could ever be shy around. For the longest time she has had a crush on him. They barely ever talked even though they were in the same circle of friends. Yeah, they were pretty close but not as close as Caitlyn was to Theresa or Colin or Ryan. To be straightforward with you, Caitlyn had a big fat crush on Derek and Theresa knew about it.
“Hey,” Derek said. “Where’s your brother?”
“Oh… uhm, he’s playing volleyball with Ryan and a couple other guys.”
“Okay, see you later.” Derek ran past Caitlyn and called Colin’s name.
“Okay,” Caitlyn said awkwardly long after Derek was gone.
Theresa gave Caitlyn a look that said “just get over him”.
“Shut up,” Caitlyn said, turned around and walking toward the big crowd that was a large majority of the school.
“Do you want to talk about it?” Theresa asked, running up to Caitlyn.
“There’s nothing to talk about,” Caitlyn said. “Tonight we’re going to have fun!” Caitlyn took a red plastic cup from on top of the cooler and handed one to Theresa and took one for herself, chugging half it, squeezing her eyes shut at the large alcohol content.

“It sucks that summer is coming to an end,” Ryan said as the guys sat on their surfboards.
“Yeah, but there’s more to California than their summers,” Colin responded.
“Hey, Colin. So how’re you and Theresa?” Derek asked. “If you don’t mind me asking,” he added.
“Theresa and I are as great as ever. Two years and still going strong,” Colin laughed. “I think Caitlyn is finally accepting the fact that I’m dating her best friend.”
Derek nodded his head.
“Why do you ask?” Colin said.
Derek shrugged his shoulders. “Just curious.”
“So how far have you two gone?” Ryan asked.
“I don’t kiss and tell,” Colin said.
“So you two just kiss? Lame!” Ryan sang. “If I had a girlfriend like that-”
“Please stop,” Colin laughed. “Whatever Theresa and I do is just between her and I, okay?”

The girls sat around the bonfire with a lot of the other girls at school who tried to gain social status by talking to them.
“Okay, uhm. If another person comes near me one more time and breathes over my shoulder, I’m going to have to sue,” Alexis said, annoyed by the crowd.
“She is such a drama queen,” Caitlyn whispered to Theresa who sat between the rivals.
“Don’t think I can’t hear what you say,” Alexis said smugly.
“Ugh, I feel like I’m drinking as much as I inhale air. Want to come with me to the bathroom?” Theresa asked Alexis and Caitlyn.
“I’ll come!” they said simultaneously.
From where they sat, Caitlyn spotted Derek coming out of the water, the sun setting behind him made the water sparkle off of his gorgeous skin. “On second thought I’ll just stay here,” she said.
“Okay, come on, Alexis,” Theresa said, getting up.
When Alexis and Theresa was gone, Caitlyn jumped up from the log, grabbed a towel, and ran to Derek.
“Here you go,” she said, handing it to him.
“Oh! Thanks,” he said, drying his wet and wavy hair.
“No problem. Where’s my brother and Ryan?” she asked, walking down the beach as Derek followed her just like she wanted.
“Still out in the water. I couldn’t stand another second with Ryan. He’s just so annoying.”
“You didn’t think that when you were the first out of all of us to befriend him.”
“Yeah, because he was cool then.”
“So what happened?”
“I left for Hungary with my-”
“Hungary? I thought you went to England?” Caitlyn asked.
“Oh! I’m sorry,” Derek laughed nervously. “I said Hungary because…”
“You’re hungry?”
“Yeah,” Derek laughed.
“Do you want to go back and get something to eat?”
“No, it’s fine.”
“So anyways, you left for England?”
“Yeah, I left for England with my family and when I came back… well, Ryan adjusted too well to the California life,” Derek laughed.
“What do you mean by California life?”
“Well, let’s just say that there’s more to life than just money, sex, partying, and status.”
“Wow!” Caitlyn exclaimed. “England really changed you,” she laughed. “I remember when that’s what your life consisted of. Partying all night, drinking all day, sex when possible, gambling whenever-”
“Yeah,” he laughed, embarrassed. “But I’m not like that anymore. I want values, morals, I want success and along the way… maybe love.”
By now the two have stopped walking and were standing in front of each other.
Caitlyn smiled. “I like this new Derek… he’s sweet.”

“I hate public restrooms so I’ll just wait out here for you,” Alexis said.
“Then why’d you come?” Theresa asked.
“Caitlyn, duh.”
Theresa shook her head, walking into the bathroom.
As she walked toward the very far stall, she clicked on each of the hand dryers to create sound.
Theresa locked the stall and dug in her purse for her special toothbrush. Once she found it, she tied her hair up and as she did that, something caused her to drop the toothbrush she was holding between her teeth into the toilet as her jaw dropped.
There taped on the wall in front of her was a picture. A picture of Theresa and Derek in Derek’s room. The picture had been taken just that day but it wasn’t the fact that it was taken that day that scared her, it was the fact that it was a picture of what they were doing.
Theresa crumpled up the picture and shoved it into her back pocket, unlocking the stall door and walking quickly out of the bathroom.
“That was quick,” Alexis said.
“Yeah,” Theresa laughed nervously.
“What’s wrong?”
“Nothing. Uhm… let’s go back now.”
Theresa was back at the fire way before Alexis was who stared after Theresa, confused at why she was acting so erratic.
“Hey babe, do you know where Derek is?” Theresa asked Colin.
“Yeah, he’s walking down the beach with my sister.”
“Which way did they go?”
“They went that way,” he said, pointing to the right. “Why? Is something wrong?”
“No, no. Just something that I found and I think it’s his.”
“What is it? Do you want me to give it to him?”
“No, it’s fine. I’ll talk to you later.”
Theresa walked away from Colin toward Derek and Caitlyn, fighting back the overwhelming tears of frustration and anger.

“I’m glad we had this talk,” Derek said.
“Me too,” Caitlyn responded.
“It’s a beautiful night, isn’t it?” Derek said, looking up at the darkening sky.
“Yeah, not a cloud in sight.”
Then Derek saw Theresa, quickly walking toward them. The last thing he wanted was an awkward encounter when she came. “Hey, there’s Theresa. I think she’s coming to talk to you.”
Caitlyn turned around and waved Theresa to come over. “What’s wrong?” she called.
“I’ll leave you two alone,” Derek said, standing up.
“No, stay!” Caitlyn said, pulling him by his forearm. “It won’t take long.”
“No, I insist,” Derek said.
“It won’t be a problem. Whatever Theresa is going to tell me probably won’t even be that much of a big deal. And it’s not like we’re keeping secrets or anything. We’re all friends here.”
Caitlyn and Derek walked toward Theresa and met her halfway.
“Hey, what’s wrong?” Caitlyn asked her.
“I have to talk to you,” she responded but she wasn’t talking to Caitlyn. She was talking to Derek.
“Me?” Derek asked.
“Him?” Caitlyn said, surprised.
“Yeah, alone.” Theresa said, turning toward Caitlyn.
“I don’t think-”
“It’s fine,” Caitlyn said. “It really is. I’ll talk to you later,” she said, waving at him subtly and turning around and walking toward the fire with her arms folded close to her chest and her eyes on her feet as she kicked the sand.

“What was that about?” Derek asked.
“I need to show you something,” Theresa said, digging in her purse.
“What is it?”
Theresa pulled out a crumpled piece of picture paper, handing it to Derek.
“What is this?”
“Just look at it,” Theresa said, turning around rubbing her temples with her fingers.
Derek smoothed out the picture on his leg before examining it and once he realized what it was, his eyes widened. “What the hell is this?!” he hissed.
Theresa turned around. “I don’t know,” she said, frustrated. “I was going to the bathroom and in the stall I found this hanging on the wall. It was a good thing I was there to take it down or someone might have seen it.”
“What if someone did see it, Theresa? What were you thinking?! What did I ever do to you?”
Theresa laughed ludicrously. “You think I took this picture?”
“Well, maybe not you but-”
“I would never do this, Derek. Especially not to Colin.”
“Are you seriously going to say that? You knew the consequences of someone finding out yet you still decided to go on with this!”
“Don’t you put all the blame on me, Derek. You gave in. Whoever took this pictures knows about us and we don’t know if they’ll tell people or not.” Theresa groaned. “I really hope Caitlyn and Colin don’t find out.”
“Well, whoever is doing this has some pretty bad intentions for us, that’s for sure,” Derek said.
“You know what we have to do, right?” Theresa asked.
“No,” Derek said firmly.
“So what do you want to do? Let this person go around telling people? It would be best for Caitlyn and Colin to find out from us instead of this person!”
“Definitely not, Theresa. This year was supposed to be different. I’m supposed to be different. No one is going to find out.”

I stood at the top of the cliff, looking down at Theresa and Derek. I took a drink and smiled. For the past six years these bitches underestimated me. They looked down at me, thought of me as the weakest link. Little did they know, there was more to me than beats the eye. If they really think they can shake this one off, I’d absolutely love to see them try. I had more up my sleeve than they think and knew much more than they ever knew.
These bitches were about to drop dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Drop Dead Bitches: The Fire.