Untitled

Chapter six

Riku’s POV

Everything is perfect... well at least it should have been. The sun is shinning, the wind is breezing through my hair and I’m starting over again in a new town. No one knows who I am, what I did or any of that and everyone who did thinks I’m off in the realm of darkness with Ansem. Sounds like paradise right? I thought it would be too, but something was missing. My friends. Kairi, Namine and even Roxas and Sora. I really shouldn’t miss Sora after that fight, but it just didn’t feel right without him around. I thought about calling him, but he made it pretty clear that he never wanted to see me again, so it’s better for the both of us if I give him what he wants. Plus, being away from Twilight town and Destiny Islands means I can work on my keyblade skills without any distractions.

“Hey I just met you, and this is crazy. But here’s my number, so call me maybe.“

Correction. I could work on my keyblade skills with little distractions as long as Kairi doesn’t call or text me. I knew I should have left my phone back on Destiny Islands. As the ringtone ended, Kairi’s voicemail started playing, or should I say bellowing.

“RIKU ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? YOU HAVE ONE FIGHT WITH SORA AND THEN NOT ONLY DOYOU LEAVE WHEN HE NEEDS YOU MOST, YOU LIE ABOUT WHERE YOU’RE GOING! SERIOUSLY YOU COULD BE DEAD FOR ALL WE KNOW!“

The phone went quiet for a moment before Kairi continued.

“Please be okay... I just... just call and tell us you’re okay, even if you don’t want to come home.“ Her voice was mixed with hurt, fear and pain.

If there was anyone who could give an unintentional guilt trip, it was Kairi. This was one of her worse ones, because I knew she was trying to be strong and angry, but really she was concerned and that killed me. I picked up the phone and dialled her number. It didn’t even ring once before she picked up... well at least I thought it was her.

“RIKU! Where are you? I’m so sorry! I just didn’t think Axel would do that! Please come home!“ Sora’s voice rushed through the phone.

I should have known Kairi would get Sora to pick up. I considered hanging up, but something kept me hanging on.

“It doesn’t matter where I am Sora. I’m just calling to say that I’m okay and ask for you and Kairi not to call anymore.“ I said as emotionless as I could.

“No, please don’t! I’m sorry! Please come home!“ I could tell Sora had tears streaming down his face, but I wasn’t going to give in.

“I already told you Sora, I’m not coming back just because you say you’re sorry. You said you never wanted to see me again, and now you get to have your wish come true.“

I could feel tears prickling down my face, so I hung up. I looked over to my keyblade and started shaking, barely able to pick it up. As I felt it in my hands, I realised that it meant absolutely nothing to me now. All it did was bring back memories. Anger and hurt started to consume me as I threw the keyblade towards a lake and walked away. I made my way to a wall before falling apart. I fell to ground as tears ran down my face. Next thing I know, I heard a familiar voice as the keyblade I had just disposed of was thrown at my feet.

“Rough day huh Riku?“

Kairi’s POV

After a few hours, Sora had finally calmed down. We packed our stuff and headed off for the Realm of darkness. Throughout the trip, all I could do was thank Riku for giving me a keyblade, because heaven knows Sora wasn’t at the top of his game. It was like everything he had worked for and everything good he had in his life was taken away from him, and it killed me. As we were about to enter Ansem’s lair, I stopped Sora.

“Is everything okay Kairi?“ he asked.

“Sora... I don’t know how to say this, but you need to be prepared for the chance that Riku may not want to come home.“ I sighed.

Sora just shook his head.

“Riku‘s just hurt. He’ll come back when I say I’m sorry. He always does.“ Sora said, trying to convince himself as well as me.

I nodded half heartedly. Part of me knew Riku wasn’t coming back. Not yet anyway. I walked up to the door and banged on it. A few seconds later, it opened and Ansem was standing in front of us.

“Kairi, Sora, what are you two doing here?“ he asked, seeming genuly confused.

“We know Riku is here. He left us a note.“ I answered.

Ansem’s face became even more confused.

“Well if he is staying here, he hasn’t arrived or even told me about it yet.“ Ansem replied.

Sora’s face just dropped. He was crushed. It was like someone had just kicked a dog.

“You mean he lied to us?“ Sora’s emotions took over.

“I’m sorry.“ Ansem sighed, “If I hear from him, I’ll be sure to tell you.“

Sora and I nodded before leaving. When we returned back to Destiny Islands, Sora went straight to his bedroom and locked the door. I couldn’t take it anymore. I was pissed. Riku had hurt us, and now he was going to cop it. I picked up my phone and violently dialled his number. As it rung through, I rolled my eyes. Of course he wasn’t going to pick up, just like Riku. But I knew he was going to listen to the message I left, he always did.

“Hey, this is Riku. Leave a message after the tone. BEEP.“

“RIKU ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? YOU HAVE ONE FIGHT WITH SORA AND THEN NOT ONLY DOYOU LEAVE WHEN HE NEEDS YOU MOST, YOU LIE ABOUT WHERE YOU’RE GOING! SERIOUSLY YOU COULD BE DEAD FOR ALL WE KNOW!“ I bellowed, about to continue before I realised something. He could actually be dead or dying and we would never know. Tears started to fill my eyes as I continued.

“Please be okay... I just... just call and tell us you’re okay, even if you don’t want to come home.“ I hung up the phone.

“He really isn’t coming back, is he?“ I heard Sora’s voice ask.

I looked up and was about to answer when my phone went off.

“It’s Riku.“ I whispered, “maybe you should answer it.“

I passed the phone to Sora. He hesitated for a moment, then answered.

“RIKU! Where are you? I’m so sorry! I just didn’t think Axel would do that! Please come home!“ Sora’s voice rushed through the phone.

I don’t know what Riku said next, but whatever it was, it had an impact on Sora. His eyes began to water and he started to beg.

“No, please don’t! I’m sorry! Please come home!“

Seeing Sora suffer made me suffer. I considered leaving, but then I remembered that that would make me just as bad as Riku. Next thing I knew, I could hear screaming.

“NO! I DIDN’T MEAN IT! PLEASE DON’T HANG UP!... Riku...“ agony took Sora’s voice as he dropped the phone and began to cry.

Before I could comfort him, there was a knock at the door. I walked over and answered it, only to see Axel and Roxas standing in front of me. I knew they were here to try convince Sora that they were innocent.

“No! Not a chance! Sora knows everything and he wants nothing to do with either of you!“

Sora’s POV

Why? Why was I so stupid to not believe Riku? Why would I believe he would lie to me? I guess it doesn’t matter anymore, I told him to leave and he did. None of us were ever going to see him again and it was all my fault. Tears were running down my face as Riku hung up and I knew Kairi was going to do all she could to make me feel better, but all that would do is add to the guilt I was feeling. Before I knew it, there was a knock at the door. Kairi went to answer it. I was about to ask who it was before hearing her screech.

“No! Not a chance! Sora knows everything and he wants nothing to do with either of you!“

I realised it was Axel and Roxas and sighed. Regardless of how much hatred I felt, I was going to have to take the high road. I mean even after everything, Roxas was still my brother, and I couldn’t let one in without the other.

“It’s my house Kairi! You can’t keep me out of it!“ Roxas argued back before I could voice my opinion.

“Let them in Kairi.“ I called out.

Kairi just grunted and rolled her eyes as she let them in. Both Axel and Roxas rushed over to me and started spurting apologies and concerns about me. I just rolled my eyes and glared at them.

“I didn’t let you in to listen to your crap. I don’t have time for it, nor do I care. The only reason you are here is because Roxas is my brother, and as such, I’m giving you both one chance to explain yourselves. Then Axel, you can get the hell out of here and Roxas, you can either go with him or I can leave, your choice.“

Axel went to argue, but Roxas silenced him. After a few minutes, Axel started explaining.

“You and I were together... technically we still are. Things were good, then I fell in love with Roxas. I couldn’t stand not having him, and as a result, started having bad days and getting jealous of how close you were with Riku and Kairi, knowing that I didn’t have that. I came home angry one day and you being the way you are, wouldn’t leave me alone. I reacted and burned you. Eventually, it became normal, and you threatened to leave, so I threatened to go after Roxas and do the same to him.“

“Wait, what?!“ Roxas started fuming.

“I wouldn’t of actually done it Roxy.“ Axel said.

“Don’t call me Roxy! And just remember, I have defeated you twice, I can do it again.“ Roxas hissed.

“Shut up! I don’t care about your relationshit! Talk about that in your own time!“ Sora interuppted.

Axel sighed and continued.

“The day of the festival came and I wanted to fix things up between us. I picked you up from school and drove us there. When we arrived, Roxas and Namine were there. Namine pulled you aside to get some art out of her car and I just couldn’t myself and we kissed. You saw us, freaked out and ran off. We caught up to you, but you ran again and ended up in a car crash. Riku saved you and that’s when we all saw you in the hospital. I’m so sorry.“ Axel apologised.

I just nodded as I took it all in. It was so stupid. The only thing that was worse was that he honestly expected me to believe his shit and forgive him. I looked over at Roxas and indicated at him to start.

“There’s really no excuse or explanation for what I did Sora. You’re my brother and I hurt you, and that’s not right. I just hope you can bring yourself to forgive me one day.“ His voice sounded apologitic and sincere.

“You didn’t know, did you?“ I sighed.

Roxas shook his head, keeping it down. I could tell he felt like a fool for everything that had happened. He was in love and acted on it and now it had backfired on him. I walked over and hugged him before glaring at Axel.

“You better look after him Axel. And I mean really look after him, not like me.“ I growled.

I really didn’t want to let him have Roxas, but what else could I do? If I fought them, they would just go behind everyone’s back. Plus, Roxas was strong and smart enough to get away now that he knows what Axel is really like.

“W..what? Sora are you sure?“ Roxas looked at me, shock covering his face.

“You love him Roxas, and he loves you. Fighting about it isn’t going to help anyone. It’s like you said, you’re my brother and I want you to be happy. That’s all I’ve ever wanted.“ I nodded, secretly feeling dirty about what I had just said.

Roxas came over and hugged me. During the hug, I looked up and saw Axel nod as if to say he would look after him. Kairi just smiled and mouthed that I was crazy before softly laughing. As Roxas moved away, Axel started talking.

“So how about we go pick up Riku and Namine and go for dinner.“ He sugestted.

Kairi and I froze. It was obvious neither of us knew what to say. Roxas didn’t seem to notice and answered.

“Namine is out of town with Olette and her family.“

“So just Riku then?“ Axel asked.

“Riku can’t come. He’s gone.“ I sighed.

“What? Where is he? When is he coming back?“ Roxas and Axel asked in unison.

Tears started streaming down my face again. Roxas put all the pieces together and sighed before coming over to hold me.

“It’s okay Sora, we’ll get him back.“ Roxas whispered.

As I looked up, I saw Axel glaring. I wanted to think it was over Riku leaving, but I knew that he wouldn’t get angry over that. He was jealous. I knew I had to get Roxas away from him.

“Lets go now!“ I exclaimed.

Roxas just looked up shocked before smiling.

“Sure, lets go.“ He laughed.

Just as we were going to get ready, Axel stopped us.

“Sora, we don’t really have time. There’s a celebration for your recovery happening in the morning and you need to be the top of your game for it.“

“I’m sure I’ll be fine Axel. Plus, I wouldn’t want to go to a celebration without Riku.“ I responded, grabbing Kairi’s and Roxas’s hands and heading for the door.

As we all left the house, I could feel Axel glaring into my back. I knew he was planning something bad, but it didn’t matter. All that mattered was getting Riku back and keeping Roxas away from Axel.

Riku’s POV

I looked up, only to see Mickey. I rolled my eyes.

“I thought you would be too busy to deal with small fry like me.“ I grunted.

“There’s always time for friends, no matter what happens Riku. I know that, Sora knows that and deep down I think you do too.“ He smiled.

Hearing Sora’s name killed me. What was he doing now? Was he still crying? Was he alone? My thoughts consumed me.

“You could always go back.“ Mickey sugested.

“No I can’t. Sora already made it clear he wanted me gone.“ My eyes began to sting trying to keep in the tears.

“Funny, I could of sworn I heard him begging you to go back over the phone.“

“Why are you even here Mickey?“ I asked, trying to avoid the topic.

“A storm is brewing. The heartless and nobodies are getting restless. They need a sacrifice for Kingdom Hearts to keep them contempt.“ Mickey explained.

I rolled my eyes. I know I came here to practice my keyblade skills, but to be honest, I was done. I was sick of fighting and being on the move all the time. The one good thing about being back on Destiny Islands recently was that I could be around friends and family and just be normal. Sure, it was boring at times, but I’d rather that than being worried that someone I cared about was going to die or turn into a heartless every second of the day.

“How does this even involve me anymore?“ I asked.

“Riku, think for a moment. The heartless and nobodies always go for the most pure at heart, and will do anything to get at least one of them... including using a spy.“

“What are you on abo...“ I started, before putting two and two together, “Wait! You mean the nobodies are using Axel as a spy to get Kairi? I mean she is a princess of heart right?“ Rage took over me.

Mickey was silent for a moment, before answering.

“Kairi isn’t the target.“ He whispered.

I stood there confused for a moment, before I realised what he really meant.

“Sora! That asshole wants Sora as a sacrifice! That’s why he’s been sticking around and stayed with him right? And that’s why he tried to break him?“ the rage increased with each word I said.

“Calm down Riku. Anger isn’t going to help anything. We have to act quickly. The nobodies plan to act tomorrow at Sora’s recovery celebration.“

“Tomorrow?! We’ll never get there in time!“ Fear replaced the anger in my voice.

Mickey just laughed.
“Do you really think I wouldn’t think of that Riku?“ he asked.

Before I could answer, my eardrums were nearly burst at the sound of something large landing close by. As I turned around, I saw what it was. The gummy ship. And infront of it, Donald and Goofy. Once again, I stood there confused.

“What are you guys doing here? Shouldn’t you be fighting to heartless?“ I asked.

“One for all and all for one, right Riku?“ Goofy smiled.

“Yeah, plus Sora’s our friend too.“ Donald added.

My mouth slowly twitched into a smile as I walked over and hugged Donald and Goofy. As the four of us were about to board the ship, I heard a voice yell out from behind me.

“You had better not leave without me Riku! I had to lie to the others and drive for hours trying to find you!“

“Namine?!“ I exclaimed, “How did you find me?“

“Isn’t it obvious? You use to take Kairi here all the time when you were dating because it’s your favourite place. She would always talk about how happy it made you, yet she never thought you would go somewhere so obvious to get away.“ Namine laughed.

I just rolled my eyes and laughed along. Of course Namine would notice something like that. She always noticed every little thing Kairi said or did. I guess love does that to you though. Namine ran and hopped onto the gummy ship with us and sat down. As we were flying through the air, I couldn’t stop pacing and worrying. Namine stood up and put her hand on my shoulder.

“What’s wrong Riku? You haven’t stopped pacing since we boarded the ship.“ Namine pointed out.

I went to yell at her and enquire why she wasn’t worried, then I remember, we haven’t told her what’s going on yet. I explained about the heartless and nobody‘s plan as calmly as a could. I could tell from her facial expressions that she was worried, but she held herself together. After a while of silence, Namine finally thought of something to say.

“We’re going to save him Riku. They won’t win.“

I wasn’t sure if she was trying to convince me or herself, but either way, it seemed to be failing. I put on my best fake smile and answered back.

“I hope so Namine, I really do.“

Namine seemed to realise that the answer was there as a optimistic answer, but one that wasn’t delusional. The truth of the matter was we didn’t even know exactly when or how the heartless and nobodies were going to attack, just that it will be at the celebration and that Sora was the target. For the rest of the trip, I managed to sit down, but my fear was slowly taking over and there was only one thought repeating itself in my head:

“Just hold on Sora, we’re coming.“
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took like 2 years, but it's here now and the second last chapter :)