Untitled

Chapter 4

Kyle’s POV

I freeze. What am I doing? I have Stan right where I want him and yet I’m kissing Cartman of all people. He’s even kissing back. Scratch that, he has just pushed away. I look up at him, noticing that he looks just as confused as I do. I look over to Wendy and Stan. Wendy looks as if her eyes are going to pop out of her head. Stan just looks hurt. I go to talk, but nothing comes out, so I do what I do best, run. I can hear all three voices calling out from behind me, but I can’t bring myself to go back. I just keep running.

Stan’s POV

“What the actual fuck just happened?“ Cartman questions.

Wendy and I stay silent. We all know the answer, but no one can really believe it. I send him a glare before softening up. Deep down I know that it meant nothing, but I can’t help but be upset. In the last week, not only has fatass stolen my best friend, he’s also stolen the kiss I have always wanted.

“He’s just confused, he’ll calm down.“ I answer, starting to walk away.

“More like he’s done with your shit.“ Wendy mumbles back.

I hear a small chuckle come out of Cartman’s mouth before I turn around, making him fall silent. I look over at Wendy who’s celebrating her “sucessful“ insult with a smirk.

“Excuse me?”

“Look at all the shit you’ve caused Stan. You’ve threatened people and deliberately dated someone to flash in front of him. And that’s before you even look at what you did to Wendy, you know, the girl you were supposedly in love with. What the hell did you expect to happen when this all went down?” Cartman answers.

I grit my teeth. How dare he? He is the one who caused this, not me. He told Kyle about everything. He somehow tricked Kyle to turn against me. And yet all he can talk about is Wendy. As the fuck if he cares about her. I turn to snap at him, but all that comes out of my mouth is incoherent mumbling, so I just roll my eyes and growl before walking away.

“Whatever, I’m going to find Kyle.”

Wendy’s POV

God how did I ever date him? That controlling asshole causes all of these issues between not only him and Kyle, but him and everyone else and yet he still thinks that it’s our fault for letting Kyle find out. Fuck him. I look over to Eric. He still seems confused, but not in a negative way. I start worrying. This can’t be happening again can it?

“Eric,” I say slowly, “What are you thinking?”

He turns to me. His face seems so conflicted. My stomach begins to turn. This is exactly what happened the first time around. Except he’s not Stan. He’s strong enough to deal with what happens next. He’s strong enough to leave me. His lip curls up as a guilty look consumes his face.

“Maybe setting up Stan and Kyle wasn’t such a good idea.”

I bit my lip, trying to hold in tears, but with no success. I quickly turn away and start walking, hoping Eric wouldn’t notice the tears, but instead he grabbed my arm.

“Wendy? What’s wrong?”

I face him, tears streaming down my face, forcing my makeup to run. I try to talk, but my throat just croaks.

“Isn’t it obvious? You’re going to leave me like Stan did.”

“What? Wendy what are you, wait you think, god Wendy no,” He starts before laughing, “Look tonight wasn’t planned, but it doesn’t change anything. I just think that maybe Kyle deserves better.”

I know he’s being honest, but I can’t help but scorn. Jealousy has never been something I dealt with well, and this was no different.

“Since when do you care what Kyle deserves?”

Eric doesn’t answer. Instead he just chuckles and pulls me into a hug.

“God you’re funny when you’re jealous. Look Wendy, if I wanted to be with Kyle, I wouldn’t have let him run off and I sure as hell wouldn’t have let Stan run after him first.”

I calm myself down and nod. Deep down I know I’m being stupid. I mean of all people Eric could run off with, why would it be the guy he has made fun of for years? I laugh softly to myself before facing him again.

“I know. I’m sorry, I’m just clingy and after everything with Stan, I just, I don’t want it to happen again.” I say quietly.

“It won’t. But you and I both know that this isn’t right. Stan isn’t mature enough for any relationship and Kyle deserves better.”

I laugh to myself before smiling. It’s strange to think that that little chubby kid who went around swearing and only thinking of himself is standing in front of me as someone who encompasses everything I’ve ever wanted.

“I remember a time when you would run around calling Kyle a filthy jew and wishing every bad thing possible to happen to him.”

“We’re not in fourth grade anymore Wen. I’ve spent some time with him and he’s actually pretty cool.”

He gives me one last nod before turning and walking away, causing my smile turns into a smirk as I call out.

“Watch out Eric, your gay is showing.”

He doesn’t stop. Instead I just hear a faint laugh before hearing his joking tone.

“Fuck off.”

I laugh to myself again before turning around and heading home. For the first time in a long time, everything looks like it’s going to be okay.

Kyle’s POV

Trees pass by me. It’s lucky I know exactly where I’m heading or I’d sure to get lost. As I approach my destination, I plop myself down next to the closest tree. I look up to see the town synagogue and a sigh leaves my mouth. How did things get so messed up? It was just a few months ago that we were all running around, Stan being my best friend, Wendy being out of the picture and Eric being an abusive asshole, now look at it. My thoughts continue to linger until I hear a rustling come from behind me. I quickly grab the closest branch only to hear a familiar voice.

“Woah Kyle, hold up. It’s me, Stan.”

I roll my eyes as I put the branch down. I turn away and start walking before Stan grabs my arm.

“Come on Kyle, don’t let one mistake ruin all those years worth of friendship.”

His tone sounds apologetic, desperate even, but I can’t bring myself to believe them. I snatch my hand away before facing him again, glaring.

“How did you even know where I was?”

“You told me you come to your church to pray or when you were confused.”

“It’s called a synagogue.”

“It’s the same thing isn’t it? Same god, both listen to the old testament.”

“Two things in common. Maybe I should call you and Eric the same person considering you’re both male and Christian.”

Stan falls silent as a glare overtakes his face. Envy was never a face he wore well. I guess that’s something we have in common. He goes to rebut my comment a few times, but only stutters come out. Finally he rolls his eyes and speaks.

“This isn’t even about the church or Eric or anything. It’s about you and me.”

“Stan, there’s nothing to talk about. You fucked up our friendship, end of story.”

“Don’t do this Kyle. We’ve been super best friends for over ten years.”

“Only because you wouldn’t let me have other friends.”

“I was worried you were going to leave me.”

“And you don’t think that I was? How do you think I felt every time I saw you talking to people you convinced me hated me? Or when you were dating every girl under the sun? I was counting my days Stan, counting how long until you realized what a loser I thought I was and bailed to hang with Wendy and her cronies of preps.”

Stan looks up suddenly, shooting me an offended glare before a hurt hiss leaves his mouth.

“That’s bullshit and you know it. You know that I would have chosen you over anything in this world. You’re my super best friend, remember?”

“Then why didn’t you trust me to do the same?”

A silence surrounds the area. Stan goes to talk, but just sighs quietly.

“Look Kyle, I know I fucked up. Just give me a chance to fix it. If I fuck up again, then you can leave, no questions asked.”

I want to scream. I want to say punch him in the face and say no. But that’s not who I am, so I settle for a glare.

“One chance Stan. That’s all I’m giving you.”

Stan wraps his arms around me and all sign of the glare vanishes. I hate him for that but I hate myself more. The idea that someone could make me forgive them after something like this is disgusting, but he’s my best friend.

“I love you.”

Despite everything, I smile as the words leave his mouth. The tone of his voice is calming, making me feel as if I could just melt into his arms, but as I look up, I see Ric walking over to us. I pull away from Stan, giving him a small smile before looking back at Ric.

“Hey Ky. Stan give us a moment will you?”

I can practically feel the glare coming onto Stan’s face as he looks up. I quickly put my hand on his shoulder, causing him to look towards me. I smile caringly before hearing him sigh and look back over to Ric.

“Sure. I’ll go fix that stuff up now.”

I give him a quick nod and he walks away solemnly. I bite my lip in worry and quickly call out.

“Hey Stan, I’ll cya tomorrow yeah?”

Stan smiles softly and nods.

“Yeah.”

Eric’s POV

As Stan walks away, I can basically feel the smile on Kyle’s face.

“You’re giving him a second chance?” I ask critically.

“You make it sound like it’s a bad thing.”

I can tell he’s faking the laugh and optimism. He’s not a complete dumbass. He knows Stan can’t be trusted, not yet anyway.

“Who says it’s not? He did fuck you over pretty bad Ky.” I remind him.

“Says the guy who was trying to leave me with him in KFC before.”

“I fucked up. I should have taken you to get the KFC with me.”

I look at Kyle to see him blink in confusion. It’s obvious he’s confused, can’t say I blame him. Everyone’s been giving the poor guy mixed messages all day and now he can’t even tell if I’m joking or not. After a few minutes, I see him bite his lip as I worried look comes over him.

“What’s going on Ric? One minute you’re telling me how abusive he is, the next you’re trying to hook us up and now you’re trying to keep us apart again. Is this because of what happened before?”

“Wha.. no! Why does everyone think I’ve turned gay now? I just think that Wendy and you both deserve better.”

“Wendy could leave if she wanted to. It’s not like she didn’t have any other friends.”

Guilt hits me as the bitterness of his voice comes through the words. Looking back, there was so much that I could have done to help Kyle, but honestly, I just didn’t care.

“She was too worried about her reputation. I mean who wants to be the girl who left Stan Marsh?” My tone comes off as humorous, but I can tell the jealousy is running through it.

“You act like she told you this herself.”

“Who said she didn’t?”

I bite my lip quickly, fearing that I’ve said too much, but instead I hear him laughing.

“Ric, just earlier today you were telling me what a pussy she turned Stan into. You can’t expect me to believe you’re best friends now.”

“Just because I called Stan a pussy, doesn’t mean she’s at fault.”

My tone sounds cool, but by the look he’s giving me, I can tell Kyle is less than convinced. Suddenly, a smirk covers his face.

“You like her.”

“She likes me too.”

I mentally slap myself in the face. Twice, he’s sure to catch me out this time.

“Ric, she just got dumped by Stan.”

“Only because she didn’t know how to dump him. But now it’s all worked out. I get Wendy and an unexpected friend and…”

Now I know I’ve said too much.

“An unexpected friend? Wait, you didn’t actually want to be friends with me?”

“I didn’t say that Ky.”

“That’s what you were doing before wasn’t it? You were laughing with her behind our backs about how you used us to get what you want without any consequences because you thought everyone would get what they want regardless of the fact you both think Stan is abusive as fuck.”

“Ky, that’s not what happened.” I sound insulted, but deep down I know he has every right to make these accusations.

“Really? Well tell me this, would you have even considered being my friend before you started liking her?”

I let a sigh out. He’s right. Hell, even a month ago I would have been laughing in his and Stan’s face if they came clean with their sexuality. Yet here I am trying to get save what little friendship I have left with him.

“I fucked up okay, but I’m here to fix it now. I’m telling you now, forgiving Stan is a mistake.”

“Are you serious? You do this shit to me and you have the audacity to tell me to forgive you but not Stan?”

He’s really lost it now. Honestly, minus that lover’s tiff he had with Stan just before, I’ve never seen Kyle this angry. I search my brain for an excuse, anything for me to sound justified, but all I can think of is clichéd bullshit. I sigh quietly, giving out the only answer I have.

“It’s not the same Ky.”

“Not the same? It sounds the same to me Cartman.”

I stand silently. I can’t even bring myself to deny it anymore because he’s right. It is the same. I used Kyle and Stan to get what I want and Stan used people to get what he wanted. I can feel desperation leaving my throat as I whisper.

“Ky, don’t be like that.”

“Go to hell.”

And with that, I watch him walk away. Ironic isn’t it? Kyle has used that line a million times on me and yet the one time it affects me is when I wasn’t even trying to stir him. I look up at him still walking and consider running after him, but you know, he’s probably too pissed off to listen to me. That and it would probably look incredibly fucking gay and I’ve already had enough people question my sexuality tonight. Instead, I start walking home as I grab my phone out and start texting the one person I know never goes two minutes without her phone.

‘Hey Wen, Kyle figured out our original plan. He’s kinda really fucking pissed’

‘He’s not going to tell anyone, is he?’

‘Idk, but it doesn’t matter, does it? I mean you and Stan are done. I mean mission accomplished right? We can be together now.’

‘Listen Eric. I don’t think it’s a good idea that we announce our relationship yet. I don’t want to be that girl who’s seen to jump from guy to guy and I don’t want you to be seen as someone who steals your friend’s girlfriend’

I stop and glare angrily at the phone.

‘What was the point of today then? Why not just wait until he just dumped you?’

‘I know it’s frustrating Eric, but trust me, it’ll all be for the best in the end. After high school, no one will care about popularity and we’ll all be free to be who we want. Anyway I g2g, come sit with Bebe, Stan and I for the debate tomorrow yeah?’

I start gritting my teeth before clenching my hand and hitting the closest wall. I should have known she was going to do this. She never wanted to let go of Stan, not fully anyway. Fuck her. If she wants to act like this, who am I to stop her? I just hope she knows that two can play at that game.