Status: Being written.

Walls.

Four.

Brendon went to the kitchen after discovering the broken glass of the old photograph. He rummaged through the cabinets until he found the dustpan. Then he grabbed the broom and went back up to his room.

He was done with the tears, the guilt, and the over all pain. Gripping each of the items he had brought upstairs, he collected all the glass that had been left on the hard wood floor since that summer day. He pulled over the little garbage pail and let the glass slide into it, the little shards raining away, their use gone.

The picture was still on the floor, facedown this time. Brendon picked it up and looked again. Did he really miss this, after everything? He knew he did and that it was true. More than anything he wanted what they had before back… He brought the picture over the small trash bin and was about to drop it in when his hand locked in place.

He couldn’t… Not the picture that proved they had something real, something before that night, something that should have lasted. He couldn’t get rid of it, not yet. Brendon placed in in one of the drawers of his desk; Someplace he couldn’t see it, but he’d know it was there.

The day continued, almost too normal for him to handle. It was like he’d always been there and never left, like nothing ever happened…

Brendon’s mother busied herself with dinner while he sat with his father and watched baseball. The entire day felt like reliving a memory; Nostalgic.

“Oh, Brendon!” His mom called to him from the kitchen. “Dear, I forgot to buy your father his tea. You wouldn’t mind going to the store, would you?”

Brendon twisted himself on the couch to turn and look at her. There she stood, looking tired and worn. He couldn’t say no to her, not after just leaving her…

“Of course. Is there anything else you’d want?” He asked while grabbing his Chuck Taylors by their laces and shoving his feet into them. His keys were clipped to his jeans so when there was no response from anyone, he just walked out the door and left.

He was surprised how much he remembered about the layout of the town. Nothing had really changed, at all. He used to take this route to work at the super marker, it passed by his high school… Brendon’s eyes drifted from the road, locking on the slightly grimy sign. That was where he spent the best four years of his life, and it only fell apart after he’d left.

He spotted the tree that was special among those planted in front of the school. It was theirs, not only his and Ryan’s, but also their friends. None of whom he’d really seen since… But just passing by the school, the tree, brought back memories of past lunches. Teenagers filled the lawn like ghosts as he looked over his good days. The only good days.

Calling them ghosts caught itself as ironic in his head. If anything he’s the ghost. He couldn’t let the past die and clung to it, he couldn’t move on though he had faded away.

Turning the corner the school faded back and he drove a few blocks until he pulled into the store’s parking lot. He went inside, the lights were bright compared to the darkening sky. He search aisle after for the one damned product before he gave up and decided to ask.

It was late for the town, most people were home getting their own dinners ready like his family was, so the store didn’t have many people to ask. Brendon wandered, getting more and more anxious. Finally, he spotted someone. They were sort of familiar in this sort of itching way.

He watched the man who seemed to be about his age stock the cereal aisle, without even noticing Brendon’s existence. The man had brown shaggy hair to his shoulders… Hair that reminded him of- The itching turned to biting as his voice betrayed him with a quiet and scared ‘Excuse me’.

Brendon’s heart started racing. Two years. Two whole years flashing through his mind, like lightening bolts turning his everlasting mental night to day for a few seconds. Two years.
♠ ♠ ♠
:] Thoughts?