Untitled

Chapter four

The chamber was silent. The two Malfoys stood there, just staring at their professor and classmate in not only shock, but anger too.

“P...Professor Dumbledore?!” Jezzabella asked, unable to speak any other words.

“Don't look so surprised; Albus and I have been a part of the death eaters since I could talk.” Alexandria boasted.

“They... they trust you! HE trusts you!” Draco screamed out, pointing his wand at Dumbledore, tears streaming down his face.

“Harry Potter was always a naïve little boy, always thinking those he trusted would always help him. Even after what happened with Pettigrew, he still never once thought of his friends doing the same.” Dumbledore smirked, flicking Draco's wand out of his face.

The chamber was silent. For once Draco hadn’t the slightest clue how to respond. He knew that everything his headmaster had just said was true, but he couldn’t bring himself to believe it. Not only because Harry was one of the smartest people he knew, street wise that is, that Granger girl would always be the most academic person around, but because it meant what his father had said was true, he really couldn’t trust anyone. As his emotions overtook him, the young blonde just dropped his wand as he fell to the ground.

“Why? Why would you do this?” His voice strained.

“Isn’t it obvious,” Alexandria scoffed, “There’s no way a little boy could beat one of the strongest wizards of all time. Albus and I are just doing what we can to protect ourselves.”

Before Draco could respond, Grace started yawning and stretching. Alexandria stayed still, as if Grace wasn’t there. As Grace began to fully regain consciousness, Dumbledore’s hands started sliding down his robe, towards his pocket. After searching the pocket, Dumbledore’s face tensed up.

“You know, for someone who was in Gryffindor, you sure are a coward.” Draco snarled, Dumbledore’s wand planted in the grasp of his hand.

Upon hearing Draco’s voice, Alexandria’s rose with an uproar of laughter.

“Courage? What would you know about courage? You can’t even stand up to your father, even if it means saving your beloved Harry’s life.”

Another silence took over as Draco acknowledged what had just been said. He searched through his mind for a comeback, but nothing came to him. Nothing ever did when it came to hearing the truth.

“You are such a god damn hypocrite!” Grace’s voice came screaming from behind him.

“Excuse me?” Alexandria shot a glare at the Gryffindor.

“You run from everything good that comes your way. You ran from your parents, siblings and now you’re running from me and your school. Not to mention running from your uncle… Lexi.” Grace went from screaming to smirking.

Alexandria froze where she stood. It was as if someone had hit her with the stupefying charm.

Alexandria’s point of view.

“Do you think he would be proud of you Alex? Knowing that you’re just like him now? A traitor.” Grace sneered right at me.

How dare she?! She knows how much I hate that bastard! I am nothing like him, and never will be! Those damn Malfoy’s are though! I should just get it over with and kill them all! Them and all the people I call my co-workers. But I need Draco to bring me Potter for my plan to work. Damn it all! I really don’t want to do this… but I have to save myself.

“At least I’m supposed to be at this school you filthy little mudblood!” I tried to hiss.

I knew it wasn’t my best, nowhere near. After all, anything fake is never as good as the real thing. I just hoped she didn’t notice. The last thing I need is her undoing all my hard work. As I looked over at her, I saw the hurt cover her face. I wanted to say I was sorry, but I couldn’t, not yet anyway.

“Come on Albus, we’ve got to get out of here.” I commanded, trying to get away from the pain I had caused.

Albus nodded at me before turning towards the entry of the chamber and walking away. I began to follow him when that screeching female Malfoy’s mouth started making noise.

“You know Draco, it must be nice not having a soul. No guilt to eat you up inside. Not to mention the inability to feel pain, because let’s face it, neither of us would be able to sacrifice someone who cares about us like that like Alexandria just did.”

Who does that Malfoy think she is?! Talking about souls as if she has one. She would sacrifice this whole school if her judgmental family asked her to. I know she’s just trying to push my buttons, but no one talks to me like that. She’ll see that now. I’ll get her where it hurts most… Draco.

“Are you sure about that Malfoy? I mean as I said before, Draco can’t even pick which side he wants to be on. Who’s to say he won’t turn around and attack you first? Or better yet, his beloved ex-boyfriend Harry?”

I didn’t think my smirk could grow any bigger. That is until I saw both those disgusting Malfoy’s faces. The looks of shock and fear that absorbed their faces were priceless. Now that I knew that that Weasley had been honest with us, I decided to take it up a notch.

“Didn’t think anyone knew, did you Draco? Let me guess, he cared too much about you to put you in the crossfire, so he made the decision for you and let you come running to your true calling as a Death Eater?”

Honestly, I don’t know what brought me to say that, nor did I care what actually happened. I guess what I said just sounds like the most Harry Potter thing to do. I mean ever since that Diggory boy died, he has been doing all he can to keep everyone else out of his business. Either way, the look on Draco’s face confirmed everything I just said. But in true Malfoy style, Draco wasn’t ready to give up without a fight.

“That didn’t happen at all. And even if it did, I would never join you.” He softly hissed, almost as if trying to stay silent.

“Is that so?” I laughed, “You know, I think if given the right situation, you would become a Death Eater without a second thought.”

“Come on Jezz, let’s get out of here. It’s obvious these two are wasting our time trying to be telemarketers. We’re not interested.” He snorted.

“Not even if it was to save Harry’s life?” I bargained.

The next thing I knew, Draco had shoved me up against a wall.

“I swear to Merlin, if you cause him any harm, I will kill you!” He shouted.

“Oh you don’t have to worry, I won’t… I’m not too sure about your father though. I mean let’s face it, he wants to get Harry away from you and the dark lord back in power, so why not kill two birds with one stone and give Harry up?” I snickered.

“He’d never get Harry out of the castle. Not with McGonagall around.” Jezzabella’s voice boasted in the background.

“Oh damn, you’re right. And it’s not like there’s any excursions happening soon.” I remarked sarcastically.

Draco froze up for a moment, before realising what I was talking about.

“The trip to Hogmead village! You wouldn’t dare!” Draco growled.

“Well, I could give your father the wrong address. But I’d need something in return. Oh I’ve got it! You come and join us as Death Eaters, and your little Harry stays safe.” I smirked. I knew I had Draco right where I wanted.

As I looked over at him, I could see him hesitate. It was obvious that I was right about him. He couldn’t choose a side to save his own life, let alone someone else’s. I knew that I wasn’t going to get an answer from him any time soon, so I decided to wrap things up. I had already wasted enough time in this disgusting chamber.

“It looks like you don’t have an answer for me Draco. No threat. I’ll give you some time to think about it. You’ve got until dawn tomorrow.”

Upon trying to leave, I felt something rub against my arm. I was about to turn around when it hit me. I can’t believe that I had forgotten about the Basilisk. I grabbed a few rats from my school bag and threw them to the side for it to devour.

“Play nice.” I whispered in parseltongue.

“Aren’t you going to tell it to eat us? Or at least Grace and I seeing as we’re not part of Voldemort’s giant plan.” Jezzabella mocked.

I rolled my eyes. Out of all the people who can speak parseltongue in the wizard world, that damn Malfoy was definitely the cockiest.

“Obviously not. The dark lord does have plans for you… death.” I retorted as I walked away, Albus following me.

Draco’s point of view.

That damn Ravenclaw! She thinks she’s so smart, but she did have a point. Eventually I am going to have to choose between my father and Harry. But until then, I have a more important issue on my hands, Harry’s life. Upon witnessing Dumbledore, the man I once looked up to, and that traitor Wind walked out of the chamber, I gave a look over to Jezz before walking towards the exit. As I grabbed the pipe to leave the chamber, I heard a voice from behind me.

“Don’t do it Draco.”

At first, I thought it was my sister. She’s always been over protective of me and treating me like a child, you know how sisters are. But as I turned around, I realized that the voice had come from that Grace girl, not Jezz. I stood there shocked for a moment before retreating back to my cold front.

“Ha, with that attitude, you would make people think you’re a Hufflepuff.” I sneered.

“Is that really how you are going to be? Harry’s life is at risk here!”

Her tone was filled with disbelief. I just rolled my eyes. If this was one of the Gryffindor’s plans, she would be cheering them on, no questions asked. Bloody Gryffidors with their hypocrisy.

“Look, I get that you’re a Gryffindor and that means that you have to put on this nice guy front, but you can stop pretending that you give a damn. I’m going to keep your precious Harry Potter safe.” I snarled.

“Oh good, so you will stay then?” she snarled back, knowing the answer.

“I said I was going to save him. I can’t do that at the castle.” I growled. The amount of stupidity at this school was beginning to piss me off.

“Good luck believing that. You of all people should know what death eaters are like. Who’s to say that they won’t make you kill Harry?”

Her words hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew she was right, but there no other alternatives. I looked over at Jezz, only to see a solemn nod to imply that she agreed with the girl. I forced myself to roll my eyes to tell them that I wasn’t going to listen as I exited the chamber. Upon exiting, I practically ran to the grand staircase on my way to Dumbledore’s office to give my final verdict, but was stopped by a hand grabbing my arm. I didn’t have to think twice of who it may be, I already knew. Harry. All I could bring myself to do was gulp. Why did this have to happen now? Given five minutes, he would be out of the castle for good, but of course life can’t be that easy.

“Is there something you require Potter?” The irritation from my previous conversation taking over my voice.

“Ron told me about your little argument. What’s going on?” he asked bluntly, loud enough for those around to hear.

“Would you keep your voice down? You’re making a fool out of yourself. Then again, that’s what Gryffindors are famous for, isn’t it?” I sneered, attempting to keep up our enemy façade.

“There’s no point Draco, everyone knows about us.” Harry snapped.

I bit my lip. Had anyone else told me that our secret was out, I would think that they were over exaggerating, but deep down I knew that if anything, Harry would under exaggerate. I felt a gulp slide down my throat as I did all I could to keep myself together.

“Well it doesn’t matter anymore does it? Considering there is no longer an us to know about.” I unintentionally snarled. I knew Harry had the best intentions for what he did, but that didn’t make it hurt any less.

“You think I wanted it to end like that? You think that I don’t go around thinking about you and wanting to be with you? Why do you think I haven’t spoken to you since Draco? Because it hurts too fucking much! Seeing you hurts! So don’t think that you’re the only one feeling pain you git!” Harry’s voice exploded in my direction.

If there was someone in the castle who didn’t know yet, they did now. My mouth started making a growling noise. How dare Harry call me a git? He was the one making fools of us in the middle of the castle. I tried to hold in any insults or thoughts, but had no success. All at once, my mouth started running as if it had a mind of its own.

“Well you don’t have to worry about seeing me anymore because I’m not going to be going around! In fact, I’m on my way to see Dumbledore now!” I hissed right back at him.

Harry froze up, before glaring at me as if he didn’t care. Damn Gryffindor won’t even let his ego be crushed. I guess that’s something we had in common. Well I wasn’t about to back down now. I said I was going to protect him, so I’m going to do that in the only way I knew how. I turned myself back around and began to walk back towards the grand staircase, well at least I tried to. Before I could make it, Harry had dragged his invisibility cloak over my head and was attempting to drag me somewhere. I shot him a quick glare before forcefully moving his hand and walking away. As I turned my back, Harry muttered something. I tried to turn around to ask him what he said, but my body wouldn’t move. That’s when it hit me; he had used the body binding spell. I hoped that Harry wouldn’t be able to move fast enough to get me anywhere before the spell wore off, but as I previously stated, life isn’t that easy. Harry dashed to pick me up and get me anywhere else. As he took off the cloak, I realized where we were straight away. The room of requirement.

“I’m not changing my mind, so all you’re doing is holding off the inevitable.” I warned.

“Why? Why are you doing it Draco? This break up can’t be hurting you that much.” Harry enquired.

“Believe it or not, my withdrawal from Hogwarts has nothing to do with you.” I lied.

The look on Harry’s face was one of disbelief. He knew that there was no reason for me to leave Hogwarts.

“You’re a terrible liar Draco, now tell me what’s going on. Is it because your father knows?” he asked.

I just sighed. I knew the only way out of this was to tell him the truth. But how? How can I tell him that the man he has looked up to for the last five years is a death eater? Would he even believe me? I wouldn’t have if I hadn’t of seen it with my own eyes. I decided to try and tell him as little as possible. That way he gets what he wants and I don’t have to be the one to shatter his hope and trust.

“I’m being blackmailed.” I said simply.

Harry’s face went pale. He stood in front of me, unable to decide what to do. One minute he was starting to put out his arm for some sort of condolence, the next he was jerking it back and trying to form a sentence. Eventually, the information sunk in and his mouth started moving.

“Is this about us?” he questioned.

“Kind of.” I responded using as little emotion as possible.

“Kind of? Don’t fuck around Draco! Does this involve me or not?” he yelled.

“Yes. Are you happy now knowing that I’m doing something to protect you?” I growled before realizing that I had said too much.

“Protecting me? Draco who is it that’s blackmailing you?” Harry’s voice was unable to achieve more sound than a whisper.

I shook my head. There was no way that I was going to tell him.

“People. Look, I have to leave. Just watch your back Harry.” I warned, turning my back and beginning to walk away.

“Draco Malfoy, you get back here and tell me what’s going on right now!” Harry shouted.

It was obvious that he was trying to be angry, but his concern wouldn’t let him. I hated when he was like this. Not only was he upset, but he sounded just like my mother. A level of disgust and guilt overtook me as I saw him in emotional pain. I couldn’t help but stop and sigh.

“Harry, I can’t tell you who is doing this. All I can tell you is that there’s something I need to do in order to keep you safe.”

“Become a death eater?” Harry’s voice croaked.

My heart sunk as I nodded my head. From day one, I had promised Harry that I wasn’t going to go down this path, that I was going to stick by his side until the end. A promise that I was about to break.

“No. You’re not going.” Harry demanded.

“Harry I don’t have a choice. They will kill you if I don’t.” I reminded him.

“You do have a choice Draco. You can stay here and protect me or you can leave and be a death eater. But if you walk out those castle doors, don’t expect me to wait around until you come back.” His emotion took over as he threatened me.

My throat clenched as I heard his words. I knew that Harry Potter did not bluff, but what other choice did I have?

“Harry, don’t do this. You know that this is the only way to keep you safe.” I practically begged.

Harry stood silently. His face covered with regret and guilt. I knew he felt like this whole ordeal was his fault. After what seemed like hours, Harry walked over to me and planted his lips onto mine, his hand cupping my face.

“This is what we’re going to do. You’re going to go tell whoever the hell is blackmailing you that it’s not going to work and you and I are going to stay here and protect each other together.” He smiled convincingly at me.

I gave him a fake smile and nodded.

“Chin up Draco, things will work out, just give it time. So, I’ll see you around?” He asked, trying to reassure me.

“Yeah of course.” I said, walking away.

As I exited the room of requirement, I drifted through the halls before eventually hitting the grand staircase. My conversation with Harry had made me see that I had my answer for Dumbledore, and I wasn’t going to waste another second telling him. Upon entering his office, Dumbledore looked down from his desk.

“I’m assuming you have your answer.” His deceitful voice echoed through the room.

I could only bring myself to sigh. Sixteen years of my father’s disappointment was nothing compared to what I felt for myself right now.

“I do, but there’s only one way this is going to work. You have to expel me. Harry won’t believe it either other way.” I replied.

“So let it be.” Dumbledore nodded, a smirk covering his face.

I gave a nod of acknowledgment before beginning to walk away. Before exiting the office, I took one final look back and opened my mouth for once last time.

“Oh and Dumbledore, don’t let this little conversation boost your ego. The only reason I’m helping you is to keep those I care about safe, nothing more.”

And with that, I walked out of the building, leaving my past and Harry behind, never to return again.