Lestat's Winter's Breath

Chapter 1

It was a bright, sunny day as you sat in your dory with your fishing pole, waiting for the cod fish to bite. The recreational fishery had opened a few days prior and you were hoping to catch some to take home to make for your supper. The only thing you dreaded was stepping into that house. Your father would surely beat the living daylights out of you for going off like you did and if he didn't beat the crap out of you, he would beat the crap out of your "crazy" mother. But maybe you wouldn't have to put up with her shit either today. She may be sweet and clingy on a good day, but she would stab you in the back on a bad day. You couldn't understand why she refused to take her medicine for her Bi-Polar Disorder but then again, maybe your father had gotten to her. Your pole jerked, snapping you out of your dark thoughts. You began to reel in the fish excited you had finally caught something. As you reeled in the large cod, you felt a pair of eyes on your back. You whipped around looking for whoever was staring at you, sending the fish flying about and nearly losing it in the process. At least you managed to get it in the boat. You couldn't see who was staring at you. There was no one in sight. You were far from any real land. Nothing but water and hills surrounded you for miles and miles. You sighed and went back to fishing wondering where that strange feeling came from. Many hours later, you went home with your catch, all the way, dreading entering that house. You were frightened that your father was drinking again and would go into one of his drunken rages. You opened the door quietly and went in, removing your shoes as you went. You quickly stuffed the fish in the freezer and snuck into the living room. You saw your parents, passed out, your father on the sofa, your mother in the love seat.

"Good, their asleep. Maybe I'll get some peace around here," you muttered to yourself.

You went upstairs to your room and fiddled around online before heading downstairs for some food. You looked in the living room and your parents were still completely unconscious in a drunken stupor. You grabbed several sodas and some food and quickly took it up to your room. You then went into the living room and scrounged around for your father's wallet and took some money from him. You pulled on your shoes and dashed out of the house to the shop and picked up some chips and other items. Half an hour later you were back online and surfing the web once more while chowing down on your stash. After about an hour and a half of doing this, you decided to take a walk. You opened your closet, hunting for your worn out jeans and baggy shirt. As you were looking, you felt a light breeze brush against you. You spun around but found nothing. Your window was not open and there was no fan in your room to make a breeze. Then you saw it. A large wild rose with a blue silk bow toed around the stem. You picked it up and smelled it. It was heavenly! You went and got some water for it and placed it next to your bed.

'I wonder where it came from?' you wondered. You heard the wall clock in your room chime the hour and you turned to look at it.

"No point in going for a hike now. It's too late! It'll be dark by the time I get there!" you cried, feeling disappointed that you had to endure the post hangover blues of both parents.

You hoped that they would just drink some more and head to bed for a little romp in the sack, something else you were forced to endure. You could only pray your mother didn't get pregnant and force another child to live through the hell you were living through. You hated them with a passion. You wished you could have been born to better parents, ones who would love you, not hurt you so terribly. You sighed and decided to get ready for the evening. Later, as you drifted of to sleep, you thought you heard a voice calling to you.