Status: Rewriting. New chapters will be added soon!

Shadows, Sails and Pirate Tales

Chapter Two

-8 years later -

Elizabeth fastened the medallion around her neck, carefully studying it in the mirror. 8 years and she was still fascinated by the medallion, intrigued by the story she was sure was behind it's existence. She jumped as she heard a knock on her bedroom door. Her hand flew to her chest in an almost cliché expression of surprise; the knock had surprised her to be sure, but the momentary fear of being caught wearing a pirates medallion had made her heart skip a beat.

"Elizabeth?" She heard her father call from the other side of the door, "Are you decent?"

Elizabeth quickly shoved the medallion beneath the folds of her under-gown, and pulled the garment tightly around her neck.

"She's probably still asleep," Dette muttered, smirking as she sauntered past her sister's door.

"Yes, Yes," Elizabeth answered, smoothing her skirts as her father opened the door.

"Still in bed at this hour?" cried her father, exasperated, "It's a beautiful day."

He glanced around the room – the bed dressing was all over the floor, three dresses laid out for Elizabeth to choose. The curtains were still drawn shut; no wonder she didn't know how lovely the day was. He'd hazard a guess Elizabeth hadn't even looked outside yet.

"I have a gift for you," The governor said, passing her a box, with a dress and corset in.

"It's beautiful!" Elizabeth cried, causing Bernadette to snort. It was a beautiful gown, with such delightful ornate patterning, by far the grandest dress she owned. Something wasn't right, why would her father give her such a nice dress for no reason?

"May I enquire as to the occasion?" Elizabeth asked, raising an eyebrow at her father, sure that there was an ulterior motive to such a gift.

"Does a father need an occasion to dote on his daughter?" Governor Swann smiled.

"You never dote on me," Dette mumbled grumpily under her breath. I bet there's no gift waiting for me in my chamber. she thought.

Ignoring Dette's comment, the Governor continued, "Actually, I had hoped you might wear it to the ceremony today."

"Ceremony?" Elizabeth enquired.

"Captain Norrington's promotion ceremony," Her father replied proudly, "Commodore Norrington as he's about to become."

"I knew it," Elizabeth scowled, as Bernadette attempted to withhold her laughter. It was always going to be for a reason, and Bernadette knew that her father was keen on the idea of a union between Norrington and Elizabeth. What better way to assure such an event than by making his daughter look so dazzling nobody could resist her?

"Fine gentleman, don't you think? He fancies you, you know," Her father said, smiling at the prospect of his pride and joy marrying such a gentleman. Who wouldn't be proud to call him their son?

"Oh yes, he really likes you!" Bernadette taunted. "Nice corset,"

"I'm told it's the latest fashion in London," The governor said, turning and reprimanding his younger daughter for her outburst.

"Well women in London must have learnt not to breathe." Elizabeth retorted. "Why isn't Bernadette wearing one?"

Bernadette burst out laughing and walked down the staircase. There was no way on God's earth they would get Bernadette into a corset. She heard the door hinge squeak, and glanced to see who was visiting. William Turner entered the house, and began talking to the footman. Dette could only assume he was here to see her father.

Will had changed greatly since the day they pulled him out of the water. He was now a tall, handsome young man, with broad shoulders and a fit physique. Now a blacksmith, Will made swords and other items for her father. It was something he excelled at, and he was considered as one of the best craftsmen in the town.

After standing still for a few moments, Will walked over to a lamp in the corner of the room. The lamp was wonky - Dette had accidentally broken one of the arms, and fearing the punishment she'd receive from her father, she simply pushed it back in and left it. Will touched the lamp to straighten it up and the faulty arm fell off. Will quickly hid the arm inside a umbrella holder, hoping nobody would notice it's disappearance. Dette smiled and walked down the stairs to greet him.

"Miss Swann," Will smiled, "You look lovely."

Bernadette looked down at her emerald green dress in distaste. For sure, it was a beautiful gown, but Dette had long held distain for having to wear such apparell. It was so heavy, and difficult to wear; men's clothing was much more practical.

"Just wait until you see Elizabeth," Dette grinned, already picturing the look of shock and amazement on Will's face at such a sight. Governor Swann walked briskly down the stairs towards the two of them.

"Good Day Sir," Will replied, greeting him with a box, "I have your order."

The governor opened the box to reveal a shiny, new sword. Bernadette's eyes lit up; how she loved swords. If only her father would have allowed her to learn to handle the weapon. Instead Dette had resorted to sneaking around to the smithy and teaching herself without her father's permission. She wondered how long it would take for him to realise Mrs Norris was not a real person and Dette was not visiting her every saturday.

"The blade is folded steel, that's gold filigree laid into the handle. If I may?" Will asked, taking the sword and showing it to the Governor, "Perfectly balanced. The tang is nearly the full width of the blade."

Throwing up in the air, Will caught it and passed it to the governor. Dette knew Will was good with swords, one who handles such an object on a daily basis knows how the sword is to be used and handled. His swordsmanship was one of the qualities which allowed him to make such impressive swords.

"Impressive, very impressive, Very nice, Commodore Norrington's going to be very pleased with this," the governor said, carefully placing the sword back in it's box.

The party turned as they heard footsteps upon the staurcase. They were greeted with the sight of Elizabeth descending the stairs in her new gown and corset. The light from the stained glass window behind her form gave her an angelic glow. Now all she needs are wings and a bloody halo. Dette muttered, feeling the familiar pang of jealousy bubbling up inside her.

"Elizabeth, you look absolutely stunning," Governor Swann complimented her.

Bernadette glanced at Will; his eyes were firmly glued to Elizabeth. Dette knew that his affection for Elizabeth was strong, and the expression on his face clearly expressed his feelings.

"Will! So good to see you," Elizabeth smiled, "I had a dream about you last night."

Bernadette raised an eyebrow at Elizabeth. And father calles me improper?

As if her father was reading her thoughts he said "Elizabeth, is that entirely proper?"

"About the day we met, do you remember?" Elizabeth continued, clearly ignoring her father's comment.

"How could I forget, Miss Swann?" Will smiled. How could Will forget the first time he laid eyes on the lovely Elizabeth Swann.? Dette thought. Or am I just a hopeless romantic. That appears to happen to young ladies when they turn 18.

"Will, how many times must I ask you to call me Elizabeth?" she asked him.

"At least once more, Miss Swann," Will replied, "As always."

Bernadette smiled, Will was always so polite, even though on many occasions her family did not deserve it. Dette scowled slightly at her father as he commented that Will had a sense of propriety. She hated the upper class view that they were more important than people poorer than them. Just because will was not a Lord or a Duke, was not to say he would be devoid of manners and propiety.

"We really must be going," Her father said, ushering Elizabeth out of the door. The ceremony was soon to begin, and the Governor hated to be late, especially not to an occasion which could secure the match he had been working for these past months,

"Good day, Mr Turner," Elizabeth said, coldly.

As the door shut behind them, Bernadette walked over to Will. She knew he was sure to be hurt by the way her father and sister viewed him and the way they treated him, Hopefully her kindness to him would be a welcome change.

"I'm sorry for the behaviour of both my father and sister, Will," she apologised, gently squeezing his hand.

"It does not matter," Will answered, quickly changing the subject, "Why are you not going to the ceremony?"

"I am," she sighed, "I have a separate carriage."

"Do tell me how it goes," Will replied, "And try and at least enjoy it."

They both laughed quietly. Will was the only one who knew her true feelings about such events as these. In the past few years, Will and Dette had built a bond similar to that of siblings – they cared for one another deeply, but not in the romantic way which would result in a union. Dette knew Elizabeth held Will's heart. She only wished that Elizabeth would cease crushing it on every occasion necessary.

"I must be going," Dette said, glancing at the clock, "Goodbye Will."

She kissed him on the cheek before walking out of the door to her carriage.

Will watched Dette get into her carriage and waved to her as her carriage drew away.

Bernadette looked out of her window as it rode along the paths toward the ceremony, wishing that she didn't have to go. She knew that she would find it boring and she wasn't looking forward to watch Norrington drooling all over Elizabeth. Not that Elizabeth wasn't beautiful, she was a hindsight more attractive than herself Dette was sure, but seeing men pine after her sister stung when none of them so much as batted an eyelash at her.

The ceremony was long and dull as she had predicted. Bernadette spent the majority of her time thinking about how ridiculous Norrington looked. He was wearing as much brocade as a Mardi Gras float! Yet she trued hard to give the appearance of interest and excitement - she was sure her father would have her guts for garters if her saw her any other way.

There was a social gathering after the ceremony. Having nobody to talk to, Dette searched for her sister. She glanced around the throng of people, but Elizabeth was nowhere to be found. After
walking toward the battlements of the Fort, Dette saw Elizabeth being led away by Norrington. She sneakily followed them and standing within hearing distance, overheard their conversation as the pair stepped onto the platform.

"Uh, you look lovely, Elizabeth." Norrington said, studying his company. Elizabeth fanning herself, chuckled softly but unenthusiastically.

"I, uh, apologize if I seem forward, but I must speak my mind. This promotion throws into sharp relief that which I have not yet achieved. A marriage to a fine woman. You have become a fine woman, Elizabeth."

Elizabeth began to fan herself hastily and tried to catch her breath, "I can't breathe,"

Norrington, not looking up replied, "Yes, I'm a bit nervous myself."

At first Bernadette thought Elizabeth was pretending to to be shocked and attempting to appear modest and unassuming, but after noticing her sister unsteady movement and rapid intakes of breath only then did she realise her sister was truly struggling to breathe. A few seconds later, Elizabeth fell backwards off of the battlement, and landed in the water below.

"Elizabeth!" Dette shouted, "Father! Father!"

"Elizabeth? Elizabeth! My God!" Norrington cried, acting as if he was going to jump after her. Dette hoped he would not; if he did it was unlikely he would return. It would be best to leave the casualties to one person.

Dette, rushed down after her father and Norrington to the dock, where someone had pulled Elizabeth out of the water.

"On your feet." Norrington spat, pointing to the man who had saved her sister's life. Hardly a thanks for preventing her sister's death, but if that was his way of reproaching the competition to Elizabeth hand then so be it.

Her father rushed over to Elizabeth and helped her up, steadying her as she attempted to move. He asked her if she was okay, and looked her over to ensure she was unharmed.

"Yes, I'm fine," Elizabeth replied hastily, attempting to remove herself from her father's grasp.

"Shoot him," ordered the Governor. Dette saw Elizabeth's sharp intake of breath.

"Father," scolded Elizabeth, "Commodore, do you really intend to kill my rescuer?"

Norrington reached out his hand to thank the man, a gentlemanly gesture, but then to Dette's surprise yanked up his sleeve, revealing a 'P' on the man's arm. "Had a brush with the East India Trading Company, have we, Pirate?"

"Hang him" Governor Swann demanded.

Bernadette's eyes widened in shock. So Gibbs had been right about the hanging of Pirates all those years ago. Childishly, she thought he had just been joking.

"Jack Sparrow?" Norrington asked, upon seeing his tattoo. Norrington ordered that the pirate be handcuffed immediately.

"Captain Jack Sparrow, if you please," the man corrected, a surprisingly brave action considerign her was handcuffed and surrounded by armed soldiers.

Bernadette laughed quietly. Bravery or foolishness? she wondered,

Norrington challenged him as to why he did not have a ship if he was indeed a Captain. The Pirate cheekily retorted that he was "in the market". Mr Murtogg told the Commodore that Jack had said that he was looking to comandeer a ship. Dette scowled Murtogg, the man was obviously trying to worsen the situation for his own selfish gain.

Mr Mullroy then handed Jack's effects over to Norrington, who inspected them critically.

"No additional shots nor powder. A compass that doesn't point north," he unsheathed Jack's sword before continuing, "And I half expected it to be made of wood. You are without doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me," Jack retorted. Dette laughed, audibly this time, and caught the pirate's attention.

Governor Swann shot Bernadette an annoyed look, but she did not see; her eyes were firmly fixed on the pirate stood in front of her.

As Bernadette looked at the pirate, she realised how handsome he was. His deep brown eyes stood out because of the thick black lines around them. She took in every detail of his rugged appearance, from the bandana over his dreadlocked hair, to the beads in his braided beard. She had always thought that pirates would be disgusting looking older men, but with one look at Captain Jack Sparrow, all of her preconceptions were proved wrong.

"Commodore, I really must protest. Pirate or not, this man saved my life!" Elizabeth said, angrily.

"One good deed is not enough to redeem a man of a lifetime of wickedness," Norrington told her. He thought his apparent smart morals were going to appeal to Elizabeth, but it only angered her further.

"Though it seems enough to condemn him," Jack piped up, as the handcuffs were being fastened around his wrists.

"Indeed," Norrington replied, as Gillette moved away from Jack. Dette knew that Gillette moving would be a mistake. In lighting fast speed, Jack grabbed Elizabeth and held her with the handcuffs around her neck.

Bernadette gasped and went to move towards her sister, but she was held back by one of Norrington's men. It had all been very exciting, but now the danger Elizabeth in overrode any feelings of excitement or anticipation Dette might have felt.

"Don't shoot," Governor Swann cried, clearly as frightened for Elizabeth safety as Dette.

"I knew you'd warm up to me," Jack smiled, before asking for his effects, "And my hat," he added.

His effects and hat were passed to Elizabeth and Jack spun her around to face him.

"Now, Miss Swann, if you'd be so kind," he said, gesturing to his effects.

She shoved his hat roughly onto his head and then moved on to fastening his belt around his waist.

Bernadette looked on with jealously as her sister had her arms around the handsome pirate.

"Easy on the goods, darling," Jack said, shooting a sly wink at Bernadette, who blushed and looked at her feet.

"You're despicable," Elizabeth spat.

Jack murmured into Elizabeth's ear before turning and addressing the crowd.

"Gentlemen, m'ladies, you will remember this as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow," he said, pushing Elizabeth into Norrington's arms and fleeing from the scene.

He stood on top of a beam as Norrington shouted for his men to open fire and swung his handcuffs over a rope, sliding down it away from the gunshots.

Norrington screamed for his men to follow Sparrow and then turned to Gilette.

"Mr Sparrow has a dawn appointment with the gallows," he drawled, "I would hate for him to miss it."

Norrington and Gilette followed the rest of the men in pursuit of Sparrow, leaving Governor Swann alone with his daughters.

"That was impressive," marvelled Dette.

"He is a pirate," Governor Swann said, "He is nothing but despicable. You really must not hold a high opinion of him."

He put his arm around Elizabeth and started to lead her back home, stroking her soggy hair out of her face in the most affectionate of manners.

"Well, I think that you were brilliant, Captain Jack Sparrow," Dette said under her breath, looking away into the distance where she had seen him disappear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I do not own, nor do I claim to own, Pirates of the Caribbean. This wonderful world and everything in it belongs to Disney, Jerry Bruckheimer and Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio. My only claim is Bernadette.

Special Brownie points to whoever can spot the Jack Davenport quote. You will know what I mean if you have watched the audio commentary on the DVD.