Status: Rewriting. New chapters will be added soon!

Shadows, Sails and Pirate Tales

Chapter Six

The day passed quickly, Jack stayed in the cabin for a long time, and the waters were smooth. Soon enough it was coming toward the end of the day. Jack surfaced from the cabin. He found that they were much nearer than he had expected. They would be there by tomorrow night.

"Pass me my compass lad," He called to Will. He had been careful to only let Will have the compass, so they would stay on track.

Will threw it to him. "Are we near?"

"Should be there by tomorrow night," Jack replied.

Will's face lit up at the prospect of seeing Elizabeth soon.

Dette, who had been in the crow's nest, climbed down and was walked down the steps. She nodded slightly at Jack before walking down the deck, stopping near the figurehead to look out across the water.

"Dette!" Will called, "We are near! We should be with Elizabeth by sunset tomorrow!"

Dette, turned, and smiling at Will said, "Elizabeth will be pleased to see you."

Will grinned before turning back around to Jack.

"I will go and tell the crew," Will told him.

Jack nodded, he was unsure whether to go and speak to Bernadette.

Deciding that he should go and talk to her, he began walking over to her, planning what he was going to say, as not to make a fool of himself.

"Miss Swann," Jack said, softly.

"Oh, Captain," Dette said. She was still startled, even though he had spoken softly.

"Are you alright? you look ... not alright," Jack asked her.

"Yes," She replied, "I am very well, thank you."

"Ah, Ok then," Jack mumbled, not sure what to say.

"Are you still tired?" Dette said, referring to the reason that he was so irritable that morning.

"No, I think I may have trouble sleeping tonight though," Jack said, absentmindedly.

Bernadette looked up at him, clearly upset.

"Miss Swann.. these last few weeks... have been... good" Jack mumbled, "And... I just wanted to... you know... Just... well.. tell you that.."

Dette looked at him, "Tell me what?"

"I... You... You are a very good swordsman." Jack said, kicking himself for not being able to tell her, "You'd beat me in a duel any day," He laughed.

"Well, thank you Jack," Dette said. She had been hoping he would say something else.

Meanwhile, back by the captain's cabin, Gibbs was stood by Will. They were watching the silhouettes of the pair on the sails.

"I knew 'e took a fancy t' 'er" Gibbs told Will. "Can see 't 'n 'is eyes."

"I think," Dette said to Jack, whilst looking down at her feet, "I will go to bed."

"Aye, aye, 'tis late," Jack nodded.

Dette walked over and kissed Jack lightly on the cheek. "Goodnight Jack."

Jack took her hand and kissed it. "Goodnight Bernadette."

Once Dette had gone, Jack walked over to Jack and Gibbs.

Dette, who had forgotten to say goodnight to Will, came back out from the cabin. She kissed Will on the cheek and said her goodnights, before returning to the cabin.

Jack watched her shadow, until it could be seen no longer.

"She got ye good," Gibbs told Jack, before turning in.

"Big day tomorrow, eh son," Jack said to Will, "The return of ye bonny lass."

"It is," Will agreed. "Night Jack."

Jack was left alone on the deck. After standing there for a while, he decided to turn in himself.

He walked up to the door, and pushed it open very quietly. Jack tiptoed in, and looked around at the bed, where he expected Dette to be. Instead, Bernadette was sitting in the chair, her head resting on the desk, asleep. Jack walked over to Bernadette, and carefully lifted her into his arms.

Carrying her over to the bed, she awoke. "Jack?"

"Yes," he replied, laying her down on the bed.

"Stay with me," she whispered, sleepily.

"I'm not going to leave you," Jack said, smiling down at her, and taking off his shoes, he climbed into bed next to her.

"Promise me," Dette whispered.

"I promise," Jack said, pushing a strand of hair from her face.

"I love you," she whispered, snuggling into his chest where she quickly fell asleep.

"I love you too," Jack said, almost inaudibly.

Wrapping his arms around her, Jack fell asleep.

Will left the Crew's quarters, and upon opening the door, could see the cove.

"Jack," He called, running toward the captain's cabin "Jack!"

He threw open the door, but stopped dead when he saw Dette asleep in Jack's arms.

"What?" Will said, a look of pure shock on his face.

Bernadette, who had been awoken by the light, blinked a few times, before realizing that Will was stood in the doorway.

"Jack," She whispered, nudging him, "Jack."

Jack opened his eyes and saw Will.

"Ah, Mr Turner," he said, sitting up.

"Dette," Will said quietly, "Come here."

"What is going on?" Will asked Dette.

"Nothing," she insisted.

"I am not blind Bernadette," Will said, glaring angrily at Jack.

Bernadette looked at Will and then at Jack. Will saw the look on her face.

"Don't tell me you think you love him," Will cried.

"I do," Bernadette mumbled.

"No you don't, he's just made you think that!" Will shouted, exasperated, "He is a PIRATE!"

"But...but..." Dette trailed off, "I'm sorry Will."

"It's not your fault," Will said, "Go on deck, I want a word with the Captain."

Dette nodded and after looking back at Jack, left the cabin.

"Alright," Will said, walking over to Jack, "What do you think you are doing?"

"Me? What? Nothing," Jack replied, jumping out of the bed and putting on his boots.

"Making her think she loves you," Will shouted.

"Me? What? No," Jack said backing away from Will.

"She's 18, How old are you?" Will said.

"I'm not too sure myself, savvy?"

"Leave Dette alone," Will threatened, "If you hurt her, you have me to deal with."

And with that Will, left the room.

In about an hour, the Interceptor entered a lagoon. The crew all stared at the skeletons and wreck strewn in the water.

Will, who turned to see that Jack was nowhere near Dette, asked Gibbs how Jack got his compass.

"Not a lot's known about Jack Sparrow before he showed up in Tortuga with a mind to go after the treasure of the Isla de Muerta. That was before I met him, back when he was Captain of the Black Pearl." Gibbs explained, as Dette walked over and joined Will.

"What? He failed to mention that." Will said, surprised.

"Well, he plays things closer to the vest now. And a hard-learned lesson it was. See three days out on the venture the first mate comes to him and says everything's an equal share. That should mean the location of the treasure, too, so Jack gives up the bearings. That night there was a mutiny. They marooned Jack on an island and left him to die but not before he'd gone mad with the heat." Gibbs continued.

"How did Jack get off the island?" Dette asked Gibbs, intrigued by Jack's past.

"Well, I'll tell ye. He waded out into the shallows and there he waited three days and three nights till all manner of sea creature' came and acclimated to his presence. And on the fourth morning, he roped himself a couple of sea turtles, lashed 'em together and made a raft." Gibbs told them.

"He roped a couple of sea turtles?" Will said, not believing that it was a true story.

"What did he use for rope?" Dette asked.

"Human hair. From my back. Let go of the anchor!" Jack shouted, suddenly appearing by them.

"Young Mr Turner and I are to go ashore." Jack told Gibbs.