Status: thanks for reading/commenting/subscribing!----check out the sequel summary>>>>>>

Cutting Out Paper Hearts

chapter one

May 09, 2000
It was my birthday, my fifth birthday. I was so happy, but maybe that was because kindergarten was almost over and summer was nearing. I thought I was going to spend it with my mommy, daddy, Denny, and my best friend Roy.(At that time, I couldn’t say his actually name, so he was just Roy, not Roydon.)

Denny was going to take me and Roydon to the park by our house. He would be finishing off second grade and had just celebrated his seventh birthday four days before. We never really got into birthdays too much, seeing as we didn’t have much family. Only an aunt, cousin, and a grandfather. None of them, though, bothered to call or come over.

My mommy told me to put on my spring coat since it was still a little chilly outside. Denny helped me with my coat, then slipped on his own. He grabbed my little hand in his bigger one, like mommy said to. We walked out the back door with Denny scolding me for being too slow.

My slowness didn’t matter once we reached the sliding back doors of the Barnes’ house. Denny peered through the glass; a frown appearing on his face. I frowned as well, tugging on his sleeve since he had long ditched my hand. “What, Den? What?” Denny shook his head, grabbing my hand once again and pulling me back home. I protested the whole way, glancing back at the vacant house we were leaving behind. “Denny?”

“Just drop it, Bay. Forget about them.” I frowned deeper, watching Denny’s back as he trudged up the stairs to his room with a slam of his door. It made my flinch. Why was he acting like this? I looked through our own sliding glass doors to the house we had just been standing by. No one was outside and it looked like no one was inside either. A single tear slid down my cheek.

That was the day the Barnes family moved away without a word. That was the day I had lost my best friend without warning. That was the day I promised to never forgive him.

But I did miss him. A lot.