Status: thanks for reading/commenting/subscribing!----check out the sequel summary>>>>>>

Cutting Out Paper Hearts

chapter seven

I’m not one for baby-sitting.

In fact, I hate most children under the age of ten. That’s why I didn’t want to see the new neighbors in the beginning when I only thought they were annoying young kids and not the stupid family that did move back here. All little kids do is sit around and be annoying as fuck or run around and do things they shouldn’t and be annoying as fuck. I understand, though, that some little kids are extremely cute and sweet and you could never hate them for as long as you live, but that’s our opinion; this is mine.

Baby-sitting. I feel sick just thinking of that word. Why is it even called that; I mean, that just makes me not want to baby-sit just by the name. Baby and sitting; baby-sitting, sitting on babies. See, that’s why Baby-sitting is wrong because it can so easily be changed to ‘sitting on babies.’

“So, Denny, Bailey, you’ll watch Nikki and Eddie while we’re off with Jenna and Harper?” Mom asked standing between us and the TV. Denny hissed at her, gesturing for her to get out of the way so he can watch cartoons. I turned my attention to Mom. She was dressed all fancy in her favorite dress and her hair done up like she likes it best. Dad left for a work thing yesterday after the Barnes family left.

“We? Dad left for Chicago yesterday, Mom.” I reminded her with a confused look on my face. Mom smiled at me, switching the hands her purse was in to ruffle up my hair. Denny shifted beside me, watching Mom like she was high or something. “You’re not-”

“Bailey! Of course not, I love your father. I meant Bethany, dear, she’s joining me since your father can’t come. Plus, she hasn’t seen Jenna and Harper in so long and they miss her.” Just in time the doorbell rang and Bethany rushed in looking all dressed up like my Mom. Mom walked over to Bethany, smiling wide. “You look amazing, Beth. Jenna called a couples minutes ago; they’re on their way over.” Great, annoying kids.

“Thurstan and Roydon are coming over too. I figured the kids…” her eyes flashed toward me with a bit of uncertainty, “wouldn’t mind having a few extra hands around to watch Nikki and Eddie. I also wanted them to make new friends, but that didn’t happen so Bailey, Denny, you’re stuck my boys.” Stuck; she picked the right word.

“Thanks Mom, we appreciate that.” Thurstan said sarcastically as he and his brother entered our house through the open front door. Denny shifted beside me so I hit his arm. Thurstan, with his hand in Roydon’s, came and sat in the two recliners. Thurstan gave me a rude look then flashed Denny a smile. Roydon just turned to the TV with extreme interest.

With all the kids watching TV with all their attention, Jenna and Harper came by unnoticed with Nikki and Eddie. Well, if Jenna hadn’t of ruffled up my hair and kissed the top of my head, they would have gone fully unnoticed. Jenna used to be my baby-sitter, then Harper-her husband- would come by and baby-sit me too. They had Nikki and Eddie seven years ago. Nikki bounced onto my lap with a giggle, wrapping her arms around my neck for a hug. I patted her back as a weak hug, sort of ignoring her for the TV. Eddie sat between Denny and me on the couch.

“Be good, Bailey.” Mom warned, kissing my head and then Denny’s before leaving with her friends to go wherever them old people do.

Baby-sitting was going smoothly until Denny decided it was time for dinner. Thurstan and Denny started cooking on the stove until a fire occurred. Denny grabbed Eddie, Thurstan grabbed Nikki, and I ran out of the house. We watched the fire from the front lawn while Denny spoke with the woman on 9-1-1. I bit my lip, looking around for Roydon.

“Thurstan!” I shouted, grabbing the older boy’s arm and gesturing around like a mad woman until he understood me.
♠ ♠ ♠
uh oh. :(