Tremors

court date

Annabelle Greene and Owen Armstrong were in the Widow’s Vale courthouse.
“Annabelle, could you tell me please what happened last night?” the judge asked.
“Yes ma’am,” Annabelle replied. “I can tell you exactly what had happened last night.”
“Please precede to do so.” The judge said to the twenty-one year old Annabelle.
Annabelle, speaking in a bold and confident voice, told her view of the story. She even looked directly at the judge’s blank eyes.

“Owen, you know we can’t go in there.” Annabelle said, stopping outside the door. “I just cant handle the smell: cigarette smoke, beer, and sweat.”
“Come on, you said you wanted me to find a rock club and I did.” Owen explained. So they both went in. “Your right,” he admitted, “It does smell-
“Owen, move!!” she said just a little too late.
“Oops, sorry.” Said an overly flirtatious woman in a tight red leather outfit, two of her beers were spilled on Owens shirt.
“Come on, Owen.”
“Let’s get out of here, Annabelle.”
“See, I told you that going in there would be a bad idea. We can go to a restaurant. Ok?” Annabelle asked. Owen agreed.

“So tell me”, the judge said, interrupting Annabelle’s thoughts, “How did you get to the restaurant?”
“Owen drove us in my car, Ma’am.” Annabelle responded.
The judge nodded and told me to “please proceed.”

“Uh-oh. Blue lights means we have to pull over,” Owen said, with a twinge of nervousness in his voice. Annabelle didn’t even have time to respond, an officer was at each of their windows, signaling for both of us to step out of the car.
“What are you two doing on a deserted road this late at night?” the officer on my side said, eyeing Owen suspiciously.
“We were trying to find a nice restaurant but I guess I might have made a wrong turn somewhere along the line”, Owen responded to the officer on his side.
“You smell like you’ve been drinking tonight.” The officer on his side said.
“ No sir. A woman had spilled her drink on me.” Owen said already annoyed with the stop.
“Could we search your car?” the officer’s asked. Owen didn’t respond. He just stared at Annabelle.
“Yes, but what are you looking for?” Annabelle asked them.
“Nothing in particular. This is a routine for traffic stops.” Annabelle nodded an okay.
Fortunately they didn’t find anything that was suspicious. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the end of it. “Well, even though we didn’t find anything in there, we still have to take you to the police station because you have the scent of alcohol on you.”
“Could we take our own car?” Owen asked.
The officers hesitated before saying it was okay only if Annabelle drove.

“So you went to the police department and they found alcohol on Owens breath. Correct?” the judge inquired.
“Yes Ma’am.” We said in unison.
“Okay and the two officer’s arrested Owen for DUI and that brings us to know where you say that you did not drink and the test was wrong.” Judge Smith now said looking at Owen. He nodded. “Would you be willing to take more test?” she asked.
“Yes Ma’am.”
“What were to happen if the test proves a different answer?” Annabelle questioned the judge.
“If the next test says something different than what the first test has said then there will be a third test and we will take that test as a final answer.
“Okay” said both Annabelle and Owen.
The day after the test.
“Owen, the first test said you had been drinking. Test number two said you hadn’t. The Third test said you had been drinking. Annabelle, you had requested that you be tested the same way. All of your test said you had not been drinking.” Judge Smith explained to both of us.
Owen stone faced was looking down at his feet; he knew he could not win this battle. “What is the consequence of ‘drinking’?” he mumbled under his breath.
“Annabelle, you are allowed to leave. Owen you must stay here for the next forty- eight hours to detoxify and you will be let go. I would advise you to stay away from drinking and driving. Thank you.” And that was that. Judge Smith left the room.
“Goodbye, Owen.” Annabelle said not meeting his eyes.
“Goodbye, Annabelle. I am sorry this happened. Pick me up in forty- eight hours.” He gave her a quick hug and was escorted out of the room.
“I will. I promise. I will be here.” She said to the empty room.
“Ma’am, you’ll have to leave the now.” An officer said, making me jump.
“Yes, sir.”

Forty-eight hours later it was a long drive in the silence as she drove him home. They didn’t speak to each other for another week when something terrible had happened to Annabelle.
♠ ♠ ♠
tell me what you think.
good?
bad?