Status: On Hold

Friendship is Another Word for Love

Chapter 12

********

That night Jazmynn and I sat on my couch in our Kane jerseys, and watched the pre-game program on TV. I’ve been staying with Patrick, but we decided that Jazmynn’s first night should be in her own house so Patrick was just going to stay with me instead. Patrick had skipped out on his pre game nap to hang out with Jazmynn. I still made the pasta dinner that I normally made for him because I wanted something to be normal with his pre game schedule. Things were going to be really different now because now I had another person to care for. When I brought Jazmynn to the house she went straight to what she knew was her room

I opened the door and Jazmynn darted from next to me and ran straight to her new room. Patrick and I chuckled at her excitement for her new home. I followed behind her and stood in her door way as she got a feel for her room.

“Do you like it Jaz?” I asked as I helped her onto her bed. She nodded and wrapped her tiny arms around my neck. I smiled and hugged my daughter back. “Welcome home, sweetie.” I whispered.


I smiled to myself as I watched Jazmynn hug the bear that Jon had gotten her. That was the first thing she saw in her room and hasn’t let it out of her sight since then. I snapped a picture of her and sent it to Jon along with wishing him good luck. I had already sent Patrick his good luck text accompanied with a picture of me and Jaz in our jerseys.

When the game started, the television had Jazmynn’s full attention. Even though she had no idea what was going on she followed the puck up and down the ice. When either team scored and the guys celebrated, Jazmynn would clap and giggle. If I cheered she cheered and clapped along with me. I couldn’t help but laugh when Burish and Sean Avery got into a fight and Jazmynn turned to me, eyes wide.

“That’s not nice, Awissa. He hit him. He needs to be put in time out.” She said to me all serious.

“And he will be honey, Uncle Adam too.” I laughed.

“Who Unca Adam?”

“The one in the red shirt heading to the penalty-” I looked at her, she wasn’t going to know what I meant. “To time out.”

“Oh, so we want da wed to win?”

I nodded. “Yes, Patrick plays on the red team. He’s number eighty-eight. We are wearing his jersey.” I smiled when they showed his face on the screen.

“Dats him!” Jazmynn exclaimed.

“Yes it is.”

We continued to watch the game and Jazmynn would ask me questions about hockey or things in general, as best as a two year old could. I was shocked when I had first met Jazmynn by how much and how well she could speak. Most two year olds knew the basics: yes, no, mom, dad, more, doggie, among others. During the first intermission I took Jazmynn to her room to put her pajamas on. We had a bathroom break as well since she was still young and getting use to the ‘big girl potty’ as she was taught to call it. We made it back to the living room just as the second period was starting. Jazmynn, still hugging her bear, climbing into my lap and snuggled into my chest.

Just as Jazmynn was falling asleep, Patrick got a penalty called on him. “Come on Pat,” I groaned as he skated to the penalty box, still mouthing off to the ref.

“Ohhh, Pat is in twoble. He’s in time out.” Jazmynn said with a yawn.

I chuckled and picked her up. “Come on, let’s get you to bed.” I carried her to her room and laid her down on her bed. “So, how did you like your first day here?” I asked her as I covered her.

“I liked it, I like you as my mommy.” She smiled and then yawned. “Is Pat my daddy?”

I looked at her and tried to think of a way to answer her. “No sweetie he’s not.”

“Otay.” She yawned again and hugged her bear closer to her.

“Go to sleep sweetie. If you need anything just yell for me.” I turned on her butterfly night light and put the guard rail on her bed. I kissed her forehead and headed for the door, leaving it open. I went back to the living room to finish watching the game, but my thoughts were else where. I guess that was one of the many questions that I was going to have to deal with while having a toddler in the house. I half watched the rest of the game and waited patiently for Patrick to get home and since they won he would actually be I the mood to talk to me.

I checked on Jazmynn before heading to my room to put on my sleep shorts and one of Patrick’s shirts that I stole. I added some fuzzy socks and went to the kitchen for a glass of wine. I sat on the couch and watched the post game interviews and summary and then the Penguins game they jumped to. My phone vibrated on the coffee table and I saw that it was Jonathan calling.

“Hey Captain, good game.” I smiled,

“Hey thanks. I got your picture, she’s so cute.”

I chuckled, “Yeah she is. She hasn’t let go of the thing since she got home.”

“Well I’m glad. Would you mind if I came over sometime tomorrow to meet her?”

“I don’t see why that would be a problem. I’m not going anywhere.”

“Okay, I’ll be sure to call before I come over.”

“Thanks Jon.”

“No problem.”

Just as I was hanging up with Jon, Patrick walked through the door with his hockey bag and a duffle bag. He smiled at me when he spotted me on the couch.

“Hey,” He said leaning over the back of the couch and kissing the top of my head. “How was your night?”

I smiled. “It was good, Jazmynn and I had a great time watching the game.” I stood up and joined Patrick in the kitchen. “What’s with the bags?” I asked

He looked over his shoulder and shrugged. “Figured I didn’t want to drive back and forth between our places so I just got some things after the game.”

“Oh okay.” I placed my glass in the sink and leaned against the counter. “So, I’m pretty sure Jazmynn likes hockey.” I chuckled when I remembered about the penalty box.

Patrick pinned me against the counted and kissed my neck. “What are you laughing about?” He asked

“You remember when Bur and Avery had that fight?” I chuckled.

“Yeah, why is that funny though.”

“Just hold you horses and I will tell you in a second.” He huffed and rested his head on my shoulder and I began running my hands through his hair. “Well, Jaz was almost asleep by that point but awake enough to know what was going on. Once Avery threw the first punch she sat up and said ‘that wasn’t nice. He hit him. He needs to be put in time out’.” I chuckled again and Patrick started laughing. “Wait before you say anything. When you got that bogus tripping penalty she looked at the TV and said, “Pat’s in trouble. He’s in time out.”

Patrick pulled away from me and started laughing hysterically. “She said that?” He asked when he could finally breath.

I nodded because I couldn’t say anything at the moment because I was laughing so hard. “She did, and I couldn’t tell her she was wrong because technically she’s not. You guys are put in time out so to speak for two, four, or five minutes.”

“Well I guess that’s one way for a two year old to learn something new, apply what they already know to it.” He smiled.

“Very true, very true.”

We made our way to the living room and watched some TV before we went to bed. I didn’t know how to bring up what Jazmynnn had asked me earlier. About and hour later Patrick and I went to bed, but I couldn’t fall asleep. The question Jazmynn asked me before she fell asleep was still bothering me.

“She’s out like a light and still hugging that bear damn Tazer gave her.” Patrick said as he stripped off his shirt and changed into basketball shorts.

I yawned. “Jealous?” I asked, turning on my side.

“Yes,” He said placing a kiss on my lips.

Patrick climbed into my bed and I instantly moved to cuddle into his side. We’ve been sharing a bed for almost entire week now and we’ve gotten a routine down. He’d get in, I’d scoot next to him, he’d wrap his arm over my shoulders, I’d drape mine over his bare chest, I’d rest my head on his chest, he’d rest his on mine, and we would hold hands. It was something that has become almost automatic and very comfortable, almost natural. In fact this entire sharing a place and bed together was very comfortable, it was again border line natural. I didn’t tell Patrick, but I was wishing that we would move in together. I was shocked with myself though with thoughts about moving in together when we’ve only been dating for about a week.

You’re ready for that because you know that deep down Patrick is the one. The one you are going to spend forever with and grow old with. My sub-conscience told me. It was true though, everything about Patrick and my relationship felt natural. It made me wonder if other things would feel as natural as all this does. My thoughts quickly turned from sharing a place together, to the kiss we shared earlier and then some.

I looked up at him and saw that he was already asleep. I would try and maybe talk things over with him tomorrow if I wasn’t too scared. I snuggled further under the blankets and sighed. Today was one of the best days of my life and I was happy to share it with Patrick. I leaned up and kissed him under the chin and he responded by squeezing me tighter to him. I closed my eyes and drifted into a peaceful sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
SHE'S HOME. I know most of you were waiting for this part and I have to say it was my favorite part to write so far.

That last chapter got some awesome feedback, thanks to everyone that commented. Let's go for 10 comments on this chapter. Tell me what you think of Jazmynn and give me some input on Alyssa and Patrick's relationship. Where do you want to see it go?