Status: On Hold

Friendship is Another Word for Love

Chapter 16

The past few days have been crazy with hockey, PR, all the adoption hearings, and today’s press conference. I knew things were going to get worse for the three of us and I was scared. What if it messed up my relationship with Alyssa? That would kill me because she’s been a solid fixture in my life for three years now and for me that was a long time to keep someone, a girl, around, even if we weren’t dating those entire three years.

I didn’t want to expose Jazmynn to this so soon, but last night when we went to bed Alyssa made a good point. If I didn’t do this then it would be hell for me to walk around the city with Jazmynn. We would never be left alone. That was another thing that was bothering me, never having privacy. I’m use to it and Alyssa kinda is, but not Jazmynn. I sighed and ran my hand through my curls.

“Kaner, are you okay?” Jon asked taking a seat next to me.

“Just nervous.” I admitted

“You have every right to be, but don’t worry everything will be fine. You’ll have me, Jaz, Lys, and Coach Q up there with you.” He clasped me on the back. “You’ll be fine.” He smiled.

I sighed and smiled at my best friend. “Thanks Jon.”

“Not a problem Pat.”

Just then the doors to the locker room opened and in walked my two favorite girls.

“Daddy!.” Jazmynn yelled running over to me.

I looked at Jon. “That’s the best thing in the world to hear.” I smiled.

“Better than ‘the Chicago Blackhawks are your Stanley Cup Champions’?” Alyssa asked, walking up to us.

“Okay maybe being called ‘daddy’ is the second best thing. For now.” We all laughed, I smiled down at Jazmynn and my smile grew when I saw her shirt. “Jaz, I like your shirt.” It was my shersey, but instead of it saying “Kane” it says “daddy”

“Thank you, mommy gave it to me.” She giggled.

Alyssa shrugged and smiled at me. “I figured that today was an appropriate day to give it to her.”

“And you were right.”

Jon pretended to pout. “What, I don’t get a special shirt?”

Jazmynn giggled and reached for Jon. When he had her in her arms, she placed a kiss on his cheek. “No silly. Patrick is daddy now, so he get’s the special shirt.”

“But I’m your favorite Uncle Jon.” He smiled, tickling her.

Jazmynn rolled her eyes and I chuckled, wrapping an arm around Alyssa’s waist. Just then Coach Q came into the locker room.

“Kaner, are you ready? Because everyone is out there.” He said then smiled at Alyssa. “Good to see you again, Alyssa.”

“Hey, Coach.” Alyssa turned to Jazmynn. “Jaz, can you say hi to Jon and daddy’s coach?”

Coach Q looked over at me and smiled when he saw the smile on my face. Jazmynn shyly said hello from Jon’s lap, before burying her face in his chest. Once the introduction was done, the five of us made our way out of the locker room and into the area where the crew had set up the press conference. Coach took the podium first and as he spoke, I held Alyssa’s hand, giving it a tight squeeze. She was nervous, I could tell, but I was too. We were opening up our personal lives and things would not be the same from here on out. But we could handle it, Alyssa and I have been in the spotlight before, when we first became friends. Every reporter paired us as a couple since we were always seen around the city together. When she went to Buffalo with me one summer that’s when the major couple accusations started. We had fun with them too, I smiled at the memories of us sharing a ‘kiss’ when we knew there were cameras on us, when really we were just whispering horrible jokes in each others ears.

“I’m going to bring Patrick to the podium now, he has some news for you all.” Coach Q said, stepping away from the podium.

I walked up to the mic and looked at all the reporters standing there with their recorders and cameras. I took a deep breath and let it out. Just then, Alyssa and Jazmynn both joined me at the podium. I smiled when Alyssa slipped her hand into mine and gave it a squeeze.

I turned to the reports. “Thanks for coming out today. I know we usually talk about what we expect in the game tonight, but before we get to that. I have an announcement to make.” I took another deep breath and looked at Alyssa. “As of yesterday afternoon, I am now a father.” There was a collective gasp among the reporters and they were stunned silent, but that didn’t last more than two seconds. Soon questions were being fired at me from all different directions.

“Patrick! Patrick! Did you know about the baby?” One reporter yelled.

I nodded before speaking. “Yes I did, my best friend adopted her. Then we started dating and it just seemed right to adopt her as well.”

“Who is this best friend, gone girlfriend?”

I gestured to Alyssa. “She’s standing right next to me. You all may already know her. We’ve been best friends since I was drafted with the Hawks. Her name is Alyssa and this is our daughter Jazmynn.”

“Alyssa! How are you adjusting to the life of a hockey player’s girlfriend?”

Alyssa looked around. I knew she wasn’t expecting to get questions yelled at her, but before I could tell her she didn’t have to answer she leaned into the mic.

“I’m fine with it. Like Patrick said, I’ve known him and hung out with him and the team for the past three years. I’m use to the cameras and the gossip. It’s nothing new to me.”

“How long have the two of you been seeing each other?”

“Um, a couple of months.” I was done with the questions. “That’s it for now. I would like to just ask that everybody please respect our privacy. Thank you.” I stepped down and gently guided Alyssa and Jazmynn back to the locker room.

“I would say, let’s go out to dinner, but we have a game tonight.” Jon said, grabbing his equipment bag. “I’ll see you later, Kaner. Lys, are you coming to the game tonight?”

“Please mommy?!” Jazmynn cheered. “I haven’t gotten to see one in real life.”

“Yeah, Jon we’ll be there cheering you guys on.” She said.

Once I had my things together, Alyssa, Jazmynn, and I made our way home. On the way home, my phone was going off the hook, I eventually turned it off. I didn’t want to deal with the guys right now or even my family. Though I knew I was going to have to call my mom soon. When the three of us got home, Alyssa put Jazmynn down for a nap. I got my things for the game ready before laying down for my pre-game nap. Alyssa laid down next to me and I wrapped my arms around her waist. This was one thing I loved about home games, taking my pre-game nap with her.

“I love you, Patrick.” Alyssa whispered.

I smiled down at her and kissed the top of her head. “I love you, too, Lys.”

Soon Alyssa’s breathing evened out and I laid there staring that the ceiling. So many things were running through my mind. The press conference this morning, the fact that Jazmynn and Alyssa were actually going to be at the game tonight, the ring that was sitting at the bottom of my drawer. A smile graced my lips when that thought crossed my mind. I had gotten it on one of the road trips to Buffalo after the Olympics. I took Jon, my mom, and Eric with me to help pick out the ring. Mom was so excited that Alyssa and I were finally together and that I was going to propose to her. I just didn’t know when I was going to do it. I had actually thought about doing it today after the press conference but decided against it.

You’ll know when the time is right. My dad’s words echoed in my head. But I wasn’t sure if I really would know when the right time would be. Trying not to wake Alyssa up, I pulled open the drawer and pulled out the felt box sitting at the bottom. I opened the box and examined the ring, I did this every once in a while since I bought it, hoping something would come to me. Next to me Alyssa stirred and I panicked, slipping the box under my pillow and closing my eyes. When I heard her breathing even out again, I took the ring out of its hiding spot and stuck it back in the drawer, shutting it as quietly as I could. I wrapped my arm around Alyssa and fell asleep until my alarm went off.

The buzzer sounded and Chelsea Dagger filled the United Center, we had just shut out the LA Kings. I was extremely excited that we won for Jazmynn’s first live game and to top it off I also scored a goal on a break away from the penalty box. As we left the ice I looked towards the seats where Lys and Jaz were sitting and smiled when I saw them both jumping up and down. Despite it being almost eleven at night, Jazmynn was wide awake, but I knew that wasn’t going to be the case once we got her strapped in her seat and started driving home.

“Yo, Kaner!” Adam Burish’s voice caught my attention. “Are you going out to celebrate with us tonight?”

I shook my head. “I can’t, man. I drove Alyssa and Jamzynn here tonight. Plus it’s way past Jaz’s bed time as it is.”

“Lame.”

“You know you’ve turned into quite the softy ever since Jazmynn came into the picture.” Patrick Sharp said standing next to me.

I sighed. “Yeah I know, but I actually realize that I need to be responsible if my girlfriend is going to have an adopted child, or any child for that matter. I can’t be out partying at all hours of the night and morning.”

Patrick held his hands up in defense. “Hey, I’m not judging you. I think it’s great you are stepping up and taking responsibility . Most guys your age wouldn’t, especially if they were professional hockey players like you.” He placed a hand on my shoulder. “I’m proud of you Patrick.”

I smiled. “Thanks, Sharpie.” It meant a lot to me to hear someone tell me that outside of my family, especially after everything that I’ve been through the past couple of years. It wasn’t just Alyssa adopting Jazmynn that caused me to become more responsible, but more Alyssa herself. I saw how I acted upsetted her and worried her. Sure she partied with the team every once in a while, but it was the times she wasn’t with me that got to her. So many times I have called her drunk out of my mind to come pick me up and no matter how mad at me she was she couldn’t just leave me in some bar. Those nights I would crash on her couch and wake up the next morning and not remember a thing.

Still thinking about the times Alyssa has literally saved my ass, I stripped out of my uniform and headed for the showers. A couple of more times I was asked to join in the celebrating tonight, but each time I decline with the same reason. I could see the married guys with families of their own giving me approving looks. I didn’t care what the others said about me, I loved Alyssa and Jazmynn with everything I have.

Once I was back into my suit, I said goodnight to the team and made my way to the family lounge where I half expected Jazmynn to be asleep, but there she was running towards me as I walked into the room. I dropped my equipment bag and caught her.

“Daddy!” She cheered and I smiled. “You winded! And I got to watch!”

I chuckled and picked her up, carrying over to where Alyssa was standing talking to Abby. “I know, baby girl. I’m glad you got to see me play. Did you have fun?”

She nodded her head. “Mommy bought me blue cotton candy and I danced to the music.” I smiled I had seen her during a TV timeout dancing to Hot Chelle Rae’s Tonight. The jumbotron also caught her.

“I know you were, I saw you.” I smiled. Jazmynn yawned and laid her head on my shoulder. All the excitement from today was catching up to her, that along with it being three hours past her normal bed time. “Hey babe.“ I said placing a hand on the small of Alyssa’s back and kissing her cheek. “Hey Abs, how are you tonight?”

“I’m fine, how are you? I saw the press conference today, you both looked so happy up there with her.” She smiled looking at Jazmynn, longingly. It was no surprise that Abby wanted kids, Patrick did too, but ‘not yet’ he kept telling everyone.

“I’m good, speaking of her, Lys we need to get home. She’s already asleep.” I chuckled looking at her.

Alyssa smiled and said goodnight to Abby before saying goodnight to the rest of the wives and children in the room.

“I’ll grab your bag for you since you’ve got her.” She said, hauling my large bag over her shoulder.

I tried not laughing watching her carry my bag, but couldn’t hold it in any longer. “Here, let’s switch. I don’t want you hurting yourself.”

She pretended to pout, but put the bag down anyway. Carefully we managed to get Jazmynn into Alyssa’s arms.

But as soon as we started walking for the car, Jazmynn started stirring. “Daddy?” She croaked.

“I’m right here, sweetie. Mommy’s got you right now.” I told her, rubbing her back. That seemed to satisfy her because she fell back to sleep. The ride home was quite, I could tell even Alyssa was tired. “I’ll put her to bed. You go on in and get ready.” I kissed the top of her head and chuckled when she yawned and went without a word, but not before giving Jazmynn a kiss.

I slipped into Jazmynn’s room and used the hallway light to maneuver around, that way I wouldn’t wake her up. This was my favorite thing to do, putting Jazmynn to bed. There was just something about tucking her in and watching her fall asleep. Not worrying about pajamas, I laid her in the bed and covered her up. I placed the bear Jonathan gave her next to her and kissed her one last time.

“Goodnight, Jazmynn. I love you.” I whispered, before switching on the butterfly night light in the corner of the room. Leaving the door open a crack, I went to the room that Alyssa and I shared. I chuckled when I saw that Alyssa was already under the covers and asleep as well. I slipped into the bathroom to brush my teeth, then I stripped down to my boxers and climbed into bed. Instantly, Alyssa curled into my side.

“Hmm, ‘night, Pat.” She mumbled.

I kissed her forehead. “’Night, Lys.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry. I have been so busy for a while with getting ready for school, work, vacation, and to be honest my other stories. But I have finished one of them, so now I only have 3 active stories to work on. So hopefully updates will be more frequent because I think I have an idea where this story is going finally. THe only thing is, I start my freshman year of college on friday, so I won't have as much time as I use to to work on stories. So PLEASE PLEASE be patient with me. School does come first.

Anyways, this A/N has become a long one. I hope there are still readers out there. If there are comment and tell me what you think. Hope this long update makes up for being so crappy with the updates =)