Status: On Hold

Friendship is Another Word for Love

Chapter 2

The next day I was sitting in Patrick’s living room waiting for him to get home from practice. I was nervous and excited at the same time. I had questions running through my head going a mile a minute. What if she didn’t like me? What if something happens and the adoption falls through? Will I be able to handle being a single mother? Will I be a good mother? I was suddenly more scared than nervous or excited. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts, that I didn’t hear Patrick walking in the door.

“Alyssa I’m home.” He said dropping his bag on the floor. When I didn’t acknowledge him, he moved into my line of sight. “Lys, are you okay?”

“Pat, what if I’m a horrible mom?” I whispered.

Patrick sat next to me and pulled me into his lap. He began rubbing small circles on my back and I rested my head on his shoulder. It was moment like this that I wish we were more than best friends, but I will take whatever I get from him.

“You’ll be a wonderful mom, Lys. I’ve seen the way we are with the kids at the arena and with some of the guys’ kids, you are a born natural with them. I’ve known you for almost three years now and all you have talked about in those three years was about becoming a mother. If anybody is ready to be a parent, it’s you.”

I took a shaky breath and smiled into the crook of his neck. He was right and I knew it, the nerves were just getting to me. “Thanks Patrick, that made me feel a little better. Are you ready to go?” I asked giving him a hug before standing up.

“Let me just go change my shirt real quick.”

“Okay, I’ll be waiting out in the car.”

The ride to the adoption agency was a bit nerve racking. All those doubts that were running through my head were still there nagging me. Patrick could tell that I was still freaking out a little bit and so he held my hand the entire way. When we pulled up in front of the office building, I took a deep breath and made my way to the front door. Patrick followed closely behind me, keeping his hand on the small of my back, giving me strength to keep moving forward. I really had no idea why I was so nervous, I mean I’ve met Jazmynn before.

“Lys, are sure you are okay? You’re shaking.” Patrick asked as we walked through the door.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

As soon as you walked through the door you could hear children screaming and laughing. Instantly a smile spread across my face when my eyes landed on a familiar looking brunette toddler playing with a little girl. I grabbed Patrick’s arm and pulled him closer to me.

“You see that little girl, sitting on the floor playing with the other little girl?” I asked pointing in her direction.

“Which one? The one with blonde hair or the brown?” He asked.

“Brown.” I smiled. “That’s her, that’s Jazmynn.”

“Lys, she’s really pretty.” Patrick smiled. “Just like her new mom.”

I was taken aback by his comment. I turned to look at him, but he wasn’t looking at me. He was looking at Jazmynn play with her friend, a small smile on his lips. I smiled to myself because I knew at that point that I could definitely count on Patrick for help with her.

“Ms. Dawson, Mrs. Shepard will see you now. I will go get Jazmynn.” The secretary smiled.

Patrick followed me as I made my way down the small hallway to the office of the head agent. I knocked lightly on the door and waited for a reply. When I heard a faint ‘come in’ I pushed the door open and walked in. There were two chairs sitting in front of a big cherry wood desk with an elderly woman with grey hair pulled back into a professional bun sitting at it.

“Please have a seat Ms. Dawson.” She smiled, motioning to one of the chairs. She shifted her gaze to Patrick and her smiled brightened. “Ah, I see you brought someone with you today?”

“Yes, this is Patrick. He’s my best friend and I wanted him to meet Jazmynn today.” I smiled, taking a seat.

“Well then let’s not delay this anymore than.” She turned to the phone on her desk and picked it up. “Suzanne, you can bring in Jazmynn now.”

The door to the office opened and in walked in my future daughter with her thumb in her mouth. She looked around the room and smiled when she saw me sitting there. Jazmynn and I bonded on day one of my volunteer shift back in September. Ever since then I have been trying to adopt her and three months later it was happening.

I stood up from the chair and walked over to her. “Hey Jaz, how are you doing today?” I asked.

“Good.” She whispered. She was a shy girl, even after knowing her for almost three months; she was still shy around me. It didn’t help that Patrick was sitting just a few feet away from us.

“Come on Jazmynn, I have someone I want you to meet.” I said picking her up. As soon as I picked her up, she wrapped her little arms around my neck. “Jazmynn, I want you to meet my best friend Patrick.”

Patrick smiled at Jazmynn and she buried her head in my neck, shyly. “Hi Jazmynn.” He said sweetly. Patrick was also good with kids, that’s why I brought him with me. Also there was nothing hotter than a guy who was good with kids. Yes, I’m falling for my best friend.

“So Mrs. Shepard, would it be okay if we took Jazmynn out for a little while?” I asked.

She looked over her papers and smiled. “I don’ see why that would be a problem. You can tell her the great news.”

My smiled grew as Jasmynn turned to look at me curiously. “Awyssa, what does dat mean?”

I smiled at her and hugged her closer to me. “Jaz, I’m going to be your new mommy.” Her response to that was to hug me tighter. I looked over the two year old’s head to the woman sitting in front of me. “When would you like her back by?”

“Before supper, which is at six.” She smiled.

I nodded and stood up and followed Patrick out to his car. I got the joy of watching Patrick put in a car seat before we left. Once Jazmynn was settled in her seat we made our way to my apartment so she could see her new room and get comfortable with her surroundings. After we went to my place, we took her to Patrick’s place because face it I spend a ton of time over there.

On the drive back to the agency Jazmynn fell asleep and I caught myself watching her sleep from the rearview mirror.

“You really don’t have to worry about being a bad mother Lys. Today was just a preview of your lives together and it was a good one.” Patrick whispered, catching on to my emotions.

I turned in my seat and smiled at my best friend. “Thank you Patrick for coming today. I know you would have rather been hangin’ out with the guys.”

“It was no big deal.” He pulled into an open spot in front of the office and put the car in park.

“You can just sit in here-“ My sentence was cut off by the sound of Patrick’s door closing and the back door opening. I didn’t move from my spot and just watched him interact with Jazmynn. He unbuckled the seat and lifted the still sleeping toddler carefully out of the seat. I unbuckled myself and got out of the car. I met Patrick by the door and took Jazmynn’s sleeping form from him. As if seeing him with her didn’t melt my heart enough, he kissed her forehead softly and mumbled a quiet goodbye. I smiled down at my future daughter and then at my best friend, who was still looking at the girl. “You can stay here, I’ll be right back.” I whispered. Patrick nodded and walked back to his car.

Before taking Jazmynn to the room that she shared with another two year old girl name Hannah, I went to the front office to talk to Mrs. Shepard. She was on the phone, but noticed I was there. I somehow managed to pass a message to her telling her that I’d be right back. I took Jazmynn to her room and tucked her into her bed. Pretty soon I’d be able to do that every night. I placed a light kiss on her forehead before walking out of the room and made my way down the hallway to Mrs. Shepard’s office.

“So how was your afternoon with Jazmynn?” She asked when I walked into her office.

“It was very nice. I took her to my apartment so she could see her room and get use to her surroundings and then we took her to Pat’s apartment.”

“Can I ask you a question about you and Patrick?” She asked

“Um, sure.’ I took a seat in front of her. I knew where this was going.

“Are you two seeing each other?”

“No, we aren’t.”

“Are you sure?” She asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes I’m sure. We have been best friends for almost three years now. Would I like to be more than friends with him? Sure.”

“So you’re not dating anybody?”

“No.” I was suddenly worried that was going to effect my application. “That’s not going to hurt my chance for the adoption, will it?”

“No, no, no. I was just wondering because there seemed to be a bit more going on.”

I sighed. “I’m not really sure if there is anything more going on.” I smiled.

“Well I hope everything works out for you.” She opened a folder and leaved through some papers. “I need you to come back in about two weeks to sign the final papers. Then you will be able to call Jazmynn yours.” She smiled.

I practically jumped out of my seat and wrapped the elderly lady into a massive hug, but I kept my composure and just nodded. Inside I was jumping for joy. We exchanged a few more words and then I was on my way. When I got outside I couldn’t stop smiling.

“I’m guessing you just got told some really good news.” Patrick guessed, taking in my smile.

“In two weeks, everything will be final.” I squealed.

Patrick threw his arms around me and pulled me into his chest. “Oh Alyssa that’s wonderful. I’m so happy for you.”

“Thanks Patrick.” We pulled apart and I looked into his blue eyes and felt something jolt within in me. I suddenly had the urge to kiss him. “So I have a question for you.” I said, mentally shaking my head.

“Okay shoot.” He smiled that adorable smirk of his. God what has gotten into me today?

“I was wondering if you would be Jazmynn’s godfather?” I asked.

“Seriously?” He asked, his eyes lighting up. “You want me to be her godfather?”
I nodded my head up and down. “Yeah I do. Pat, you’re the closest thing I have to family. You are also my best friend and I love you to death. I trust you with my life and now I’m trusting you with my daughter’s.”

“Alyssa, I would be honored to.” He kissed my cheek and butterflies erupted in my stomach. “We should go out and celebrate. I could call the guys and we can go out for drinks.”
“That sounds like a really good idea. I haven’t told Tazer about her yet.” I smiled. Ah, Jonathan Towes was also another one of my best friends, but not at as good as a best friend as Patrick. Pat pulled out his phone and went to texting all the guys, telling them we were going out and where to meet us.
♠ ♠ ♠
whoo chapter 2. Now you got to meet Jazmynn =)

Tell me what ya think ;)