Status: On Hold

Friendship is Another Word for Love

Chapter 3

Two hours later I was sitting between my two best friends and drinking beers. Patrick had his hand on my knee and Jonny’s arm was draped over my shoulder. We were listening to a story that Patrick Sharp was telling us about his trip back home. When he finished, Jon looked down at me and smiled.

“So Lys, Pat told us that you had something you wanted to tell us.”

I took a gulp of my beer and looked around the table, I had all their attention. I cleared my throat. “You guys all know how I volunteered at the adoption agency back in September up until the beginning of this month?” I asked. All the guys nodded, so I continued with my story. “Well I met this little girl and her name is Jazmynn and we just sorta clicked.” I smiled to myself. “Well I applied to adopt her and it went through. In two weeks I will be a mother to a two year old.”

“Lys, that’s amazing!” Jon said, giving me a sideways hug.

“This calls for a toast!” Burish yelled. He signaled our waitress and ordered a round of shots.

“Do you have a picture of her?’ Duncan asked.

“Yeah,” I dug out my phone and scrolled through my pictures. When I landed on the picture of Jazmynn playing in the yard of the agency, I smiled. That was the day I had applied for the adoption and I was so happy. “Here you go Duncan.” I smiled handing him my phone.

“Alyssa, she almost looks just like you.” Sharpy said. “She’s beautiful.”

I smiled and thanked him, passing my phone to the other guys. Soon our shots arrived and we downed them. The guys were all fawning over Jazmynn and they haven’t even met her yet. I knew that when they did, she was going to have them wrapped around her tiny finger.

“Hey, you want to dance?” Patrick whispered in my ear.

“Yea sure.” I smiled up at him.

Patrick grabbed my hand and lead me to the crowded dance floor. He spun me around and pulled me into him. Soon our hips began moving together to the beat of the song. I felt Patrick’s hot breath on my neck and it sent shivers down my spine. Patrick and I have danced together before, but something tonight just felt different. It wasn’t a bad different though, just different. Patrick moved his hands to rest on my hips, whilst I moved my one arm around his neck. My pulse was racing through my veins and it wasn’t just because of the dancing. Patrick was having this effect on me.

The song changed from an upbeat song to a slower one. I was about to make my way back to the table, but Patrick’s hand on mine stopped me. He pulled my back into his body as he began to sway back and forth. I took a step closer to him and wrapped my arms around his neck. I looked around the room before meeting his blue eyes.

“So how does it feel to be a mother?” He asked softly.

I chuckled lightly. “I’m not sure. I’m not one yet.”

“Yet. In two weeks you will be.”

I smiled and nodded. In two weeks I was going to be a mother. “Pat, I’m so excited about this. I’ve waited almost eighteen years to become a mom and now I am.”

Patrick smiled. “So no more nervousness about being a good mother?”

“Nope.” I said, popping my lips on the ‘p’.

Patrick smiled and pulled me tighter into his chest. “Do you wanna get out of here?”

“Sure.” I nodded.

Patrick took my hand and pulled me to the table. He finished his drink and grabbed my jacket. As we were leaving I heard Jon and Sharpy whisper something about Patrick and me. Once we were outside, Patrick hailed for a cab and climbed in when one pulled up to the curb. The temperature difference from the club and outside, caused chills to run through my body. Patrick pulled me into his side and wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I snuggled closer to him.

“Lys, what are you going to do with Jazmynn when you have to work?” Patrick asked randomly.

“Um, I’m not really sure yet. I guess I need to look into daycares and things like that. I do know that I’m taking off for the first month she’s with me. That way we have some time to spend together.”

Patrick nodded and opened his mouth and then closed it. “Well…if you can’t find anyone to watch her , I’m more than happy to help.”

“Really, Pat? That would be amazing!”

“It would have to be when I can though.”

“Oh no, yeah I understand that.”

Patrick squeezed m hand that he was still holding. The cab pulled in front of Patrick’s place and he paid the man. We went in and I instantly took off my heels and stripped off Patrick’s jacket. Patrick had disappeared into his room as soon as we walked through the door. He reappeared wearing blue basketball shorts and a white t-shirt. He as carrying something for me to change into.

“Here, I grabbed you something to change into.” He smiled that smirk of his.

I took them out of his hands and made my way to his bathroom to change. When I walked back into the living room, there were no lights on except for the television. Patrick was sitting on the couch and I went to join him. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and with his free hand reached for the blanket at the end of the couch. He tossed it in the air so it would cover us.

“Want to watch a movie?” he asked

“Sure, what one?”

“You pick.”

“How about Stay Alive?” I suggested. Patrick got up to put the movie in and I tried not to whine when he did because he was really comfy to lay on. I loved this movie but also hated it at the same time. It was a good suspense movie, but even thought I’ve watched it many times I can’t play video games for a while after watching it.

Patrick sat back down and I snuggled into his side. I really liked cuddling with Pat, I always have, but I wish it meant more. Not just best friends sharing a blanket and leaning on each other while watching a movie. I wanted there to be something more that friendship between the two of us. Though I doubt that Pat felt the same way about it. He is and always be the type of guy to just have one night stands. Did I want to bring my daughter into that? Of course not, but Patrick was my best friend and I wanted him in her life. I was hoping he would be a father figure to her. I looked over at Patrick and sighed, I was just going to cause myself pain if I continued to pretend that we were a couple. I laid my head on his chest and closed my eyes and let my self do just that, pretend we were together.

When the movie finished I was still asleep, but I wasn’t all the way gone so I was aware of what was going on around me. I felt Patrick lift me off the couch and carry me down the hallway to his room where he laid me down on his bed. He pulled the covers over me and crawled in next to me. He wrapped his arm around my waist and rested his hand on my stomach. I could feel his warm breath on my neck and had to suppress the shiver that rolled through my body. Patrick then did something that threw me for a loop. He leaned over me and placed a sweet kiss on my cheek and whispered,

“I will make you mine, Alyssa Dawson.”

He kissed my cheek again and then laid down next to me. I smiled to myself, he wanted me. I then got comfortable and drifted off to a deep sleep in Patrick’s arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay so I know that some of the guys that I mentioned aren't on the hawks anymore, but they are going to still be on the team in this story...it's called fan fiction for a reason lol.

COMMENTS <3