Distortion Disorder

Torture Sessions; Darynn

We all know that school is all but the place we want to be; the teachers, the homework, the rules, a peers. I know you don't need me to tell you that.

I walk into the school and pass the students on their break. They're staring at me, making me cross my arms across my chest awkwardly; I know what they're staring at. I rush passed, looking solely at my shoes as I grasp onto my books tightly. I slip into my Geography class and grab a late slip on the teacher's desk before passing Darynn on the way to my seat.

I watch him tap his pencil on his desk, making him look even more paranoid that I am. Everyone knows he's gay, I just happen to be the only one who doesn't dwell on the fact. Actually, I don't dwell on much... I haven't even talked to the kid. But I see him look over and I give him a lighthearted smile as I hear another jock spit an insult, and a paper airplane collide with his leg. Unfortunately, the same happens to me within a short period of time.

I fill out the late slip and place it next to the attendance on the teacher's desk. He mumbles something before taking it from me and giving me a weird look. I return to my desk and begin today's lesson, trying my best to block out the rest of the room.

Darynn

My pencil decides to tap against the smooth wooden desk I'm forced to sit at every day; my restless hand not helping the situation. The second hand is ticking it's way around the clock and shows no sign of stopping. The kid in front of me turns and glares as me from under his thick-rimmed glasses- I'm obviously annoying him in his effort to learn. The teacher is glaring at me from the front of the class- I'm obviously annoying him in his effort to teach.

But, I can't help it. Despite the fact that the class has barely begun, I can't wait for it to end. I can't wait for the entire student body to spill out into the halls before heading home to fuck in their parent's bedrooms. Maybe then they'll be too preoccupied to spit their little insults at me. Maybe then I will finally be able to get these voices out of my head.

"Fag," they whisper, just in time for another note to fly across the classroom to land on my desk. I don't bother opening it. I already know what it says.

Each day when my alarm clock goes off, I debate staying in bed. But my father wouldn't like it if I dropped out. He says that 'school is the main building block for life'. He doesn't understand that it doesn't matter what building block you have, you can't fit in anywhere if people aren't willing to accept you in society.

Then again, I know lots of people who hide who they are in their efforts to fit into society. It never seriously hurt anybody. Pretending to be something I'm not could never hurt me, right? Especially when I know who I am really. I know who I am...