The Secrets of Billie Joe Armstrong

Chapter Eleven.

Image

It's funny how in one moment, everything can change.

In one moment, someone you love can disappear and never see you again.

In one moment your live could be made of broken.

I remember that day when my life crashed around before me, hurting my ears and head like I was standing under a powerful waterfall, the pressure forcing me deeper and deeper under the water.

That was the second I put the letter down and began to think. I could have kept my son if my mother had ditched me earlier. I suddenly wanted Grace, and Billie Joe, and more importantly, I wanted Andy.

I found myself walking through the airport to a pay phone. I dialed the Adoption Agency's number.

"Hello? Californian Adoption Agency, how may I help you today?"

"Um, my name is Ollie Armstrong. My son Billie Joe was placed up for adoption like... A few days ago? Is he still there? Can I possibly get him back?"

"I'm sorry, your son has been adopted three days ago."

I heard a dial tone instantly, and my life crashed before me yet again. I had given up my son forever.

_____________________________________________________________

- Twenty Four Years Later -

"Olivia? Have the articles been put on Susan's desk?"

"Yes."

"Ahh, merci!"

I finished work and started down the Champs-Élysées and toward my house that I shared with my daughter, Claire and my husband, Mathieu. As I walked rain started to fall, and I opened my small black French umbrella. I tugged and fixed my silk scarf that was tied around my neck. I loved living in Paris, but never does one day go by where I don't stop thinking about Billie. He's always on my mind. I legally changed my name to "Olivia" when I had enough money to move to France.

I arrived at my apartment building a few minutes later and let myself in. I could smell the aroma of baking bread and cheese from the bakery next door. Claire was in her room working on some book she was making with her future dreams in it. She was fourteen and already had major ambitions.

"Bonjour Maman." Claire said when she heard me come inside. She walked out of her room, her boyfriend Jacques behind her.

"Bonjour ma cherié, et Jacques. Comment ça va?"

"Bien, merci, Madame. Et toi?" Jacques asked politely.

"Bein. Claire?"

"Ah, oui, bien. Salut!"

Claire and Jacques disappeared into Claire's room and I started cooking dinner.