Status: Trinity is eating cherries I am not

Is There a Place Left There for Me, Somewhere Where I Belong?

Chapter 4

Gwendolyn's POV
The sky was clear and dark, as if a black sock was covering the earth. The whole pack sat on a cliff, staring at the starry sky. " I think we should go hunting." Soren suggested, getting up.

"I'll come too!" Trinity offered almost immediately, leaping onto her feet and smiling. The whole pack stared at her, there bright eyes glowing. Gwen shivered, feeling quite uncomfortable and she realized that Trin must have felt the same way too, for she sat back down and swallowed. Soren sighed,

"Alright then, Trinity and I will go hunting, does anyone else wish to come?" Silence... Gwendolyn shifted on her paws, she knew Trinity was a great hunter. Much better than herself... In a flash of leaves and dust, the two wolves disappeared into the nighttime.

"So... Let's go back to camp, I'm tired. What about you Gwendolyn, are your tired?" Travis interrogated. Travis was a pale grey wolf with shining yellow eyes. Gwen could tell he was straining to make conversation, and Gwen complied, because he was friendlier than most.

"I'm pretty tired too," was all she could say when Brook, the weakest wolf of the pack, interrupted,

"You're tired?! Already? I think maybe we should appoint a new omega (the name for the weakest wolf)" Brook was a dark grey wolf with wild golden eyes. She was stuck-up and snobby. Gwen immediately disliked her.

"Alright guys let's go back, we can meet Trinity and Soren at the lake." Evelyn suggested, already getting up. All the other wolves leapt up too, and with that, they left. As Gwendolyn followed the pack, Valerie, the packs' healer, explained the history of the lake.

"It was a hundred years ago, when Animati lived near this lake." Gwendolyn drew her breath in. Animati were the oldest descendants of wolves. They were large terrifying beasts. With long and sharp teeth, long and slender limbs, they ruled the forest. Until they became extinct from a massive human invasion. Legend had it, that Animati still lived but... "The Animati carved this lake with there mighty paws, and the rain would swoop in and fill the lake up. They would drink from this lake every full moon. So, every full moon, we bathe in this lake, and sometimes I'll receive visions from our Gods. After the strays came to the forest all my visions have disappeared, however." By the end of the story, the pack had approached the lake. It did look like it was carved from the ground. The lake itself was carved deep into the ground. It was filled with water at the moment, and in awe, Gwen dipped her paw in the surprisingly warm water. She couldn't believe Animati used to drink form the very water.

"Mysteriously, the lake gradually fills as the moon waxes and wanes." It was the broad voice of Soren, who was explaining the tale the Trinity. She was dragging a caribou carcass. The caribou's neck was snapped in her mouth, and Gwen could see all the delicious meat. Her mouth watered at the thought of it.

"Dinner time!" Trinity exclaimed, throwing the carcass onto the ground. The pack said nothing, as they were hesitant to except prey hunted by a stranger. Gwendolyn's eyes filled with sympathy as she saw her friend look crestfallen.

"Well? What are you waiting for? Let's eat!" Soren announced. The pack advanced towards the caribou, but they still didn't start eating.

"That's it? That's ALL you could find?" Brook shrieked, looking grouchy.

"Shut up, food is food. We haven't had a meal in days!" Cadmus snarled. He was a rather small light grey wolf with silver eyes. He was also the brother of Zephyr, a black and silver wolf, with identical eyes.

The pack tore into the meat, and Gwendolyn and Trinity hesitantly followed. How strange it was to eat all at the same time without an Alpha to eat before you. Gwen and Trin exchanged looks and also, began to tear the meat apart.

At daybreak, the Gwen wasn't completely full ,but she was satisfied at the moment. She curled up on the cliff next to Trinity. She wasn't completely sure how long they would stay with the lone wolf pack, but however long, Gwen was determined to become helpful.