Status: Trinity is eating cherries I am not

Is There a Place Left There for Me, Somewhere Where I Belong?

Chapter 6

Gwendolyn's POV

Gwen said nothing, too shaken to even breathe properly. She turned to Trinity, who looked just as shocked as Gwen felt. Oh god, she didn't know which was worse. Dying, or losing her best friend. " T-Trin?" Gwen managed, " What are we going to do?" By now, Gwen was on the verge of tears. The thought of death coming to either Trin or herself terrified her. Gwen looked in her friend's violet eyes for hope. She saw them widen, then narrow angrily.

"This is all crap!" Trin spat, " Y'know, it's our job to bring back the Animati. Even if one of us dies on the way there, we can't be selfish and just sit on the sidelines! Gwen, we're going." Trin's jet black fur bristled with new found confidence, as Trinity's words gave Gwen some confidence as well.

" Okay!" Gwen exclaimed, " Let's go! We can leave right away!" She turned toward the pack expectantly, but instead of an enthusiastic reaction, she saw the pack mutter to themselves. Completely unsure. " Come on! Evelyn? Valerie? Travis?" Gwen turned to each one, though they shied from her odd eyed gaze.

" Soren?" Trin demanded, stepping toward the red furred leader. Soren was silent for a moment, pondering the decision, before heaving a sigh.

"I'm sorry, my pack and I will support your efforts, but we cannot come on this mission with you. Even if we only send a few members to go... We can't afford to lose more members." Gwen cocked her head curiously,

"What do you mean?" Valerie stepped forward,

" About a year ago, we had accepted a stray dog into the pack. She had promised to serve us like any other wolf. She was the baby of the pack and we spoiled her. After a few months, she grew older an became much different from us. Eventually, she betrayed us for her own kind and assisted them in attacking our lone pack, trying to gain control of it. Two members were killed in the attack and our new recruit had abandoned us." Gwen bristled with impatience, baring her teeth,

"Well that isn't fair!" she snarled. " We aren't stray dogs and Trin and I are supposed to save the Animati! We would never betray you!" Gwen noticed the doubt in everyone's eyes and looked at Trin. " I give up," Gwen sighed.

" I'm going to ask you one more time," Trin pleaded, " Please come with us. We need all the support we can get." The pack was still undecided and shook their heads.

" Sorry," Soren said, bowing his head.

"Fine," Trin mumbled coldly, " Let's go Gwen." Trinity turned around and Gwen followed. She was hurt, angry, and shocked at the same time. Both wolves trotted toward the forest, head down, tails sagging. It was nothing compared to their usual playful chase and banter. Gwen felt herself become swallowed up by the forest's shadows. It was a bit more familiar at least. It was the same part of the forest from when she was running from the strays. The small thin trees waved at Gwen as the wind gently tousled their leaves.

" Let's hunt," Gwen suggested, trying to break the awkward silence. She looked at Trin, who shrugged in agreement. It was around the middle of the night, a perfect time to hunt unaware animals, snuggled cozily in their burrows. Gwen raised her nose to the air, trying to detect the scent of prey. Her ears pricked for the sound of circling birds, but met a rustle behind her. " Whazzat?!" Gwen gulped, turning around sharply. Trin's back was arched, ready to attack the rustling in the leaves.

" Show yourself," Trin demanded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, we haven't written in a LONG time. Usually we type this up on an Itouch so we had no idea how short our chapters were. We promise longer chapters, really! A huge thanks to our readers and our two subscribers. If you could, leave a comment so we'd know who you are. If you don't feel like it, that's fine. Happy reading!