Status: Active

Beautiful Things Can Come From the Dark

Misery and Fascination

Cami was still trying to chase the nightmare from her mind as she made her way down the stairs to the kitchen. Sam and Emily were already sitting down at the table eating; the tension in the room was palpable.

Sighing miserably, Cami pinched the bridge of her nose as tears threatened to surface. The slight pain made it easier for her to think as she slowly walked the distance from the stairs to the table and sat down, huddling slightly inward as she wondered how much was going to hate the upcoming conversation.

Emily got up from her seat and readied a small breakfast for Cami when she saw that the young woman was making no move to fix her own. On her way back to her own seat she pressed a tender kiss against Cami’s forehead and shot Sam a look that clearly meant ‘NO’, heedless of his fiancés warning Sam asked,

“When were you going to tell us that your mother had passed?”

“Samuel Clayton Uley! That is by no means any of your business! She is a guest in our home, and does not HAVE to tell us anything!”

“Emily, if she’s underage, then yes, it is a problem.”

Cami shut her eyes tight and literally folded herself in half because she wanted to disappear. Emily noticed the poor child’s make shift fetal position and glared at Sam.

“This is not over. I am not happy with you.” She turned to Cami with a small nurturing smile as she gently coaxed the young woman out of her shell shocked position and tenderly placed a kiss upon her forehead. “Come on sweet heart, we’ll eat at the bakery.”

Cami looked up at Emily through watery eyes and nodded. Slowly rising from her chair she clenched her hands into tight fists, nails sharply biting into the palms of her hand and took a deep breath.

The car ride was silent as both girls were lost in their own thoughts. Cami was the first to break the silence.

"I'm sorry I caused you and Sam to fight. It’s entirely my fault... I never should have trespassed on your guys’ hospitality like I have... Shit.. I shouldn’t have gotten in the fucking car to begin with."

Emily shot a concerned look at Cami; it was the longest and most vulgar speech that she heard the girl make.

"First of all, you aren't trespassing on our hospitality, Sam and I are happy to be able to help someone in their time of need. Secondly, us fighting isn’t your fault.. Sam believes in following the rules, to a tee, while I don’t mind bending them on occasion if the cause is just."

Cami sighed miserably but dropped the subject; she recognized the cheerful building Emily had parked in front of.

“Would you mind if I watched you and Joey work for a bit? I think I need a little time to cool down.” Emily asked.

“Of course you can! Well, I certainly don’t mind.” Cami replied, sweeping her bangs behind her ear.

“Alright then, let’s go.”

Both women talked through the chiming door, trying to shed their emotional morning and start anew.

“I’ll be damned, you’re on time!” exclaimed Joey as she wiped the surface of the tables.

Emily smiled at Joey, her mood contagious. “I hope you don’t mind me tagging along for awhile, I just needed to get out of the house for a bit.”

Cami fought to smile, but with her world teetering on the brink of destruction only managed a slight twitch of her lips.

“Of course not, you know you’re always welcome here.” Joey rested her right hand against the table in an attempt to catch her breath, doing minimal work was taking a lot out of her. “Why don’t you grab a seat and I’ll bring you out something to eat while I finish up in here?”

Emily made a sound of protest, but it was Cami who spoke up.

“Take it easy and sit down or something and tell me what to do? I-I am your apprentice after all; it l-looks like you could use some help. I’m n-not hungry, so I could finish cleaning the tables for you?”

“That’s a great idea. Um, the only ones that need cleaning are the ones on the far right of the bakery and when you’re done with that we can get started on the kitchen.”

Cami took the rag from Josephine and started to clean the tables, when Emily was sure that Cami was out of earshot, she leaned across the table and whispered to Joey.

“Sam and I fought this morning about Cami, as it turns out her mother just passed. I’m not sure exactly the situation but she doesn't seem too keen on going back, but if she’s underage Sam doesn’t want to encourage her by letting her stay.”

“Sam’s such a fucking boy scout,” cursed Josephine softly. “Following things exactly to the tee has always been his problem.”

“So you don’t think he has a point?”

“Of course he has a point, she’s underage and should be with her family if they’re good for her but if she’s not keen on going back then there’s obviously something wrong there.” Josephine grimaced from the pain emanating from her rear. “She shouldn’t be forced to go back to an environment that she worked so hard to leave.”

Emily let out a relieved sigh. “I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks so.”

Both adults watched as Cami finished up the last dirty table and started walking towards them.

“Well, I think I’m going to head home, Samuel and I need to have a chat.” Emily scooped Cami into a hug, and tightened it when Cami’s hands tentatively wrapped around her. She smiled thankfully at Joey, said her goodbyes and walked out the door.

Cami looked at Joey thoughtfully, worrying at her bottom lip. “Are you sure you’re up to teaching me? I feel bad that you’re in so much pain. I really wouldn’t mind if you ended up canceling today.”

“It’s just a little cut, nothing that I can’t handle.” Joey slowly stood up from her seat. “Chris should be coming in soon so he’ll put the sugar trays on the table and finish getting this area set up. What we need to do is get the muffin mix ready, since the batch I made earlier this morning already sold out. Sound good?”

Cami nodded, “I’m up for anything. . . Maybe I should warn you I’ve never really baked anything before, so I apologize in advance for ruining anything.” She wrung her hands nervously, maybe this hadn’t been so well thought out, how she was supposed to be good company or really learn what Josephine was going out of her way to teach Cami; all she could think about was how she was going to leave this place without a working car and no money.

Josephine laughed lightly, “Don’t worry about ruining anything, and just relax. Baking is about having fun and putting a bit of love into everything you make. I sound like such a hippy saying that, but it’s what my ma always told me whenever we baked together so it’s tuned into my mantra of sorts.”

Cami couldn’t stop the delicate smile that overtook her face. “You and your mom used to bake together? That sounds nice. I’ll try my best to relax.” She looked around the kitchen area, impressed and more then a little intimidated. “Where do we start?”

“We need to grab some eggs, milk, and butter from the fridge. I have all the other ingredients inside the jars on the table. Oh fuck! Strawberries, we also need some strawberries for the muffins.”

Following instructions exactly as she was told, Cami was slowly but surely was getting the hang of the Kitchen. After some time Christopher came in and was properly introduced, his comments left her ears burning, but she found herself liking his unique personality, a little after that the stereo was turned on and before long Cami was completely enrapt with what she was doing, so concentrated on the muffins before her, she left all her pained thoughts alone.

Cami snapped out of her baking haze when she heard a sharp hiss. "Ohmygod. Josephine, this really is too much, p-please let me take you home. Ch-Chris is here, we've got everything prepped and ready to bake, there is no need to suffer like this!"

"Don't be crazy. I just need to take go smoke a bit and I'll be fine," Joey reassured. "Plus I haven't finished Carlisle's cake! I need to at least finish that!"

Worrying at her lip, Cami struggled with what to do. "If you smoke, and we finish Carlisle's cake, can I take you home after?"

"We'll see," answered Joey. "If I don't feel better then you can drop me off but if I'm fine then we'll finish out the day."

"I-I just don't like seeing anyone in pain if I can help it." Cami began rubbing her dirty hands against her arms subconsciously. "I know it's not my place to ask anything of you, but I would feel better knowing it wasn't my fault keeping you on your feet and in pain."

Joey sighed softly. "As soon as the cake's done you can take me home."

Cami's face lit up. " Oh thank you Josephine! Tell me exactly what do to- or well.. Do you trust me with something as important as the hospital's fundraiser cake? I don't want you to do it.. but I couldn't stand if I ruined something this important."

"Woah, calm down." Joey chuckled. "You can do the actual work but I'll help you out with the instructions and don't worry, I'm pretty sure that this cake is going to be way better than anything they'll be serving at the hospital's cafeteria."

Cami had the grace to blush at her outburst, it really shouldn't matter if anyone cared or had an opinion either way about her, she was leaving at the end of the week and not looking back. Cami blinked hard, pushing back tears and turned her back towards Josephine. "Alright, where would you like me to start?"

"Let's get the vanilla out; Carlisle has a thing for vanilla."

Cami found a large mixing bowl and poured some vanilla into it. "How much vanilla do we need? Usually you only use a lid full don't you?"

"Normally, yes, but I but in an extra half lid for Carlisle's."

Cami nodded absent-mindedly and poured the extra amount into the bowl, looking to Josephine for further instructions.

Josephine continued to instruct Cami on what to do, every once in awhile stepping in to show her how to best chop an ingredient or whisk the mix more efficiently. In no time at all they had finished preparing the cake and placed it inside the oven to be baked. Now all they had to do was wait.

Cami brushed the stay hairs from her face and swallowed loudly, now that the cake was in the oven, there was less to distract from the elephant in the room. Cami immediately pulled her arms to her chest, fingernails biting into her arms.

Josephine turned to look at Cami whom looked incredibly uncomfortable with the current situation. She knew what the young woman was thinking, what she feared to be asked but even though Joey knew all that she couldn't help but part her lips and at least ask the most important question, "Are you alright?"

Cami froze; literally stopped moving for a second until her body demanded oxygen. With a deep breath, she shuddered violently and exhaled slowly. "Honestly, probably not. But does it matter? Probably not."

"It does matter," Joey stepped towards her, placing a comforting hand on Cami's back. "I know that I'm a stranger, that you probably think that I don't care or that your well being is none of my business and you know what, you're right but I'm not the kind of person that can see others suffer without wanting to make it better." Josephine laughed lightly. "That's basically what you told me when you asked me to go home."

"But that was different, physical pain isn't emotional pain." Cami took a small step away from Josephine's hand. "I appreciate the gesture I do, but with everything that's happening, its best if you don't know and so if they come looking for me, you don't have to lie to anyone. Sam will probably call the police and I can't have that happen. I can't go back, you have to understand that. Please just let me get my car fixed and you won't have to worry about me again, I'll be okay."

"Let me help." Joey furrowed her brow. "Sam won't call the police if I tell him not to. You might think that he's the alpha in our relationship but that man does what I say so I can - I can be of help. I know emotional pain is worse but I also know that it's important to have someone to turn to, you shouldn't have to go through it on your own."

Cami turned to face Josephine, eyes glistening with unshed tears. “You can't do this to me, Josephine. Offer me hope, if you can't deliver. I couldn't handle it. It's better if I just leave; I'm getting too attached to everyone here already. I need a clean break and a fresh start, somewhere further away."

"You're going to do whatever you think is best, I understand that, but just know that if you ever need help I'll be more than happy to help in any way I can."

Tears were streaming freely down her face, mouth open, but the words wouldn't come out. The cake timer dinged in the distance before Cami made up her mind. She wanted to so badly to trust this kind woman in front of her, she wanted to believe by telling her everything that it would all be okay, but she couldn't. Not now, perhaps not ever, but she wanted to, so badly. She turned away, not bothering to wipe her tears as she retrieved the cake from the oven

Joey wanted to say something, truly she did, but it was obvious that Cami had had her fill of the conversation, that all she wanted was silence so she could be left alone with her thoughts. Joey obliged her by not uttering another word as she readied the tools to begin decorating the cake when it cooled.

The atmosphere stayed tense throughout the cake decorating and all too soon Cami found herself in front of the hospital. Grimacing, she took a deep breath, turned to the ever compassionate Josephine and mumbled “I’ll be right back.”

Gathering the cake in her arms, she took another deep breath, trying to calm her raging emotions, when she felt that she could successfully fake happy, she entered the hospital.

***

A torrent of violent emotions stuck Jasper; he looked questioningly up at his adoptive father as he struggled internally to stay in control and not be swept away.

Never in his life, undead or otherwise had he felt what he was feeling now. He was choking on helplessness, burning in anger and shame, and drowning in guilt and remorse.

“Ah, Cambria, what a pleasant surprise, here let me take that from you!” Carlisle’s voice drew Jasper from his inner turmoil to see a human woman carrying in the fundraiser’s cake.

Jasper nodded his introduction followed by a southern ‘Pleased to meet ya’ as if on auto pilot; he was still trying to comprehend how anyone, let alone a young human girl could fathom emotions that deep, when he himself could only relate them to his time spent with Maria and even then he wasn’t entirely sure how they compared.

He watched, fascinated as the girl, Cambria, kept her ever fragile façade; never once wavering in her false cheer as she spoke with his father.

Not much was said between the pair as they watched the broken girl walk out the hospital doors. Jasper was quick to follow suit, he needed time to think, to comprehend. In those short minutes in Cambria’s presence his understanding of human and vampire life shifted completely and he wasn’t sure where he stood in either anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, hell.... I'm soo sorry it's taken me this long to get this chapter out! Hopefully because it's lengthy you'll forgive me? Thank you everyone who's stayed on board and commented/subscribed :)