‹ Prequel: Animal I Have Become
Status: On the works.

Mind Games

Friend or Foe

"Guys, this is Damon - he's just transferred here," Ryan introduced us.

My heart stopped beating and sweat started to form on my forehead. Damon walked up with a smile on his face as he shook hands with the other boys. When he finally turned to shake my hand, I froze.

"Don't worry," he smirked, his arms still out. "I won't bite."

As much as that sounded like a normal thing to say, it somehow send shivers down my spine. Nonetheless, I put out my hand towards him.

"Nessie," I muttered under my breath.

"A pleasure to meet you, Nessie," he leaned down and kissed the top of my hand and I felt myself blush from embarrasment.

I'm not going to deny that as much as it was cheesy, I actually felt excited.

He turned and did the same to Wynter, who was just staring at him with admiration. But as soon as he kissed the top of her palm, he turned and sat right in front of me.

Everyone started talking; even I tried to join in the conversation. Throughout the whole period, I could feel Damon watching me with scrutiny. I looked at him a couple of times but he made no effort to look away.

There was something strange about him - like how he wasn't like any other human boys in the school. There was a different aura that seemed to be coming from him.

Then again, it could all be my paranoia.

"Man, it's raining like crazy," Bryan looked out the window and everyone in the group followed his gaze and agreed in unison.

"Let's skip classes," Miles suggested and there was another round of agreement.

"Looks like we're taking Sidney's car," Ryan added and Sidney gave them a look of horror.

"You're kidding right?" he looked around the group. "My car's only for two people!"

Everyone started laughing, including me. Then, Wynter looked at me and asked, "You're coming along, right?"

I shifted awkwardly and tried to smile.

"I'd love to but -"

"Here we go," both Bryan and Sidney sang.

"My parents would freak if they find out about me skipping classes," I told them truthfully.

Leo is going to be in my next class and if he realizes I'm missing, I'm pretty sure he'd blab about it to my parents.

"Where is the rebel in you?" Sidney sighed as he shook his head.

What I said next totally surprised me. "Maybe I'll meet you later after school instead?"

Everyone stared at me with a surprised look. Even Boone.

"You guys can take my car," Damon finally spoke as he threw a set of keys to Ryan's direction.

"You're not coming?" Ryan asked and Damon shook his head, his eyes on my figure for a second before looking away.

"Nessie and I will catch up with you after school," Damon repeated my words and I felt myself being annoyed.

The guys started to stand up, as usual, Boone was the first to walk away. Only Wynter remained seated. Bryan had to carry her up as she protested that she could stay and keep me company.

As soon as they were gone, both Damon and I kept quiet, the other party not saying a word. Instead, I reached out and grabbed my bagpack and stood up.

To my annoyance, he did the same. I turned and glared at him for a second before finally mustering up the courage to speak to him in the eye.

"Okay, seriously. What's your deal?"

"Deal?" he asked and cocked his head back with a frown. "No deal. Just walking you to class."

"Yeah right," I scoffed and crossed my arms. "I saw you staring at me the whole time."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know staring at a beautiful person is a crime -"

"WHY WERE YOU LOOKING AT ME?" I demanded, resisting the urge to slap him in the face.

"Don't you feel like there is a connection between us, Nessie?" he looked into my eyes and I felt my head floating.

I opened and closed my mouth - words unable to escape me. Those dark eyes - it is like a black hole sucking me in.

I shook my head and snapped out of the trance I was in.

"No, I don't," I snapped and gripped onto my bagpack tighter.

"I'm sorry," he finally said, his smile faded. "It was a stupid joke to make. I think I should go leave you alone."

As he started to walk away, I took a deep breath regretting my bitchy attitude towards the new guy.

Perhaps it was my paranoia kicking in. Damon from my dreams isn't real. This Damon and dream Damon had to be coincidental - it has to be.

"Wait!" I called out unsure if I was going to regret my next move. When he stopped with his back facing me, I added, "Let's go to class together."
♠ ♠ ♠
Bad move or good move, Nessie?

Nikkie, Deidre & Desiree, thank you beautiful people for commenting. I love love love you guys!

Told you I would post the chapters as often as I could. ;)