This Is Your Moment

1/1

It felt like there was a permanent hole being burned in Jason Sumner’s pocket. He always carried the little black box with him everywhere, in case the proper opportunity to propose would show itself. He wanted it to be perfect; he wanted his girlfriend to remember it fondly. The time never seemed to be just right, and so it had been two years since he bought the ring. She had no idea, of course, and Jason was thankful for that.

He was returning home from an exchange program that was offered through his college. He was in his senior year and he thought it might be a good idea to broaden his horizons, and she had said it was a wonderful idea as well and for him to take lots of pictures. They had said goodbye and he had flown off to Paris, leaving her at home in New York for two weeks.

Now he was on his way home, the little black box in his pocket as usual. He was horribly bored, having already doodled all over his napkin and his hand. He sighed, reaching for one of the magazines in the seat in front of him in defeat. Jason would normally never read these things, but he was at a loss for what to do. They were ten minutes from landing, and everyone was getting antsy. His girlfriend had already promised to be there, and he was just anxious to get off the plane and see her again.

He flipped through the pages with boredom and disinterest, not really looking at the items on the page. He was about to close it and put it away when a small piece of paper floated out of magazine, landing face down in his lap. He frowned, picking it up and reading it. In blue ink, it read this is your moment. The right time is now! It was like a sign from heaven. He felt the presence of the diamond ring in his pocket more than ever, and he knew that it was now or never.

Finally the plane landed, and he jumped up, grabbing his bags and running down the aisles, walking off the plane and dashing into the gate area, his eyes darting over the crowd until he found her. He ran up to her, wrapping his arms around her and spinning her around. She squealed loudly and happily, kissing him quickly and wrapping her arms around him. She held him tightly until he put her down, his eyes shining brightly with excitement.

“Veronica, there’s something I have to do.” He said, taking a step back and grinning. She watched him with confused eyes but nodded, figuring it would be quick.

“Veronica Hudson, I love you with everything in me. I don’t want to spend any day without you, I want to spend the rest of forever with you. Will you please do me the honor of marrying me?” He asked, sliding down onto one knee and opening the box, showing off the sparkling ring. Her hand flew to her mouth and she smiled widely, tears coming to her eyes.

“Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!” She exclaimed and he grinned, slipping the ring onto her finger and picking her up, twirling her around again, forever grateful to his sign from heaven.