Status: Finished

Locked Away

Wake Up

"Welcome home!" I whisper-yelled to Lillian.

Her eyes shot around, looking at her new home. Thank goodness we were now here. Valerie held the basket they sent home with me and Will followed behind with a grin on his face. Valerie got in front of me and lead me to the nursery, which I thought just held a crib and a dresser. To my astonishment, it was now painted pink and the theme was roses. Roses were framed and hung on the wall, the sheets in the crib had roses, and she had a rose rattle. Other toys had been placed in a bin shaped like a flowerpot and a stroller sat in the corner. I squealed in happiness and gave them both a one-armed hug.

"You knew we were fixing up the room!" Will said.

"Yeah, but not this gorgeous!"

I looked in the dresser drawers. Sure enough, they had been filled with clothes and diapers.

"You really didn't have to do this," I said.

"We wanted to," Valerie told me. "And don't pay us back, it was too fun to do."

I began to cry in happiness and they circled me in a group hug. I had to put Lillian in her crib to really hug them. Before long, she started crying. I picked her up and sat in the rocker they had placed beside it. Valerie and Will left and turned out the light, leaving me alone to rock her to sleep. She was hard to get to sleep, but after about half an hour, her eyes were shut and her breathing was steady. I put her in her crib and left the door open.
It was almost midnight, so I told Valerie and Will that they could spend the night.

"Thank you so much," WIll said in a tired voice.

"You can sleep where you want. I will sleep in Lillian's room tonight," I told them.

They nodded in reply and got up to get ready for bed. I decided to change in the living room since my pajamas were already in there. I would get a blanket and pillow and sleep in the floor by Lillian's crib after I locked the door and shut off the lights, which I was doing at the moment. The bathroom light was still on, but Valerie was still in there. Everything was right, so I made my bed where I was going to sleep.

"Good night," I said to Lillian, giving her a kiss. "I love you."

A little while later, I was asleep. Sometime in the night, I heard a banging noise. Someone was at the door. I went to the living room and peeked out the door.

It was Ryan.

"Wake up!" he yelled.

He stood there for a minute, then almost fell over. He was drunk again.

"I'm pounding on the door! C'mon Lisa. I'm not like I was before."

He almost hit the porch again, then began to whisper.

"Where the hell are you?"

He continued this pattern and everytime he got louder.

"Where the hell are you when I need you?" he shouted.

I grabbed the phone and dialed 911. I told the operator everything that was going on and gave him my address. He told me that the cops would come soon. Almost immediately, I heard sirens, so I went to wake Valerie and Will. The sirens woke up Lillian, so I ran to retrieve her.

Before I knew it, red and blue lights flashed in my front yard and police dragged Ryan away. We all went outside and watched as they read him his rights. A policeman asked me questions, and I told him that yes, I knew Ryan, and that I was afraid of him. He nodded and they drove away, taking Satan himself off to jail. He had kept me locked away for so long, it was time for him to be locked up. I didn't need him anymore. I didn't need a lying sister and a mother that never believed me. I had what I needed, standing on the front porch, right there with me.