Status: Finished

Locked Away

Whoa

I must have fallen asleep, because I woke up the next morning, aching all over and feeling like I had a bad hangover. The dim blue light streaming through the window pierced my head and reminded me about yesterday. I groaned and got out of the bed. There was no use in feeling sorry for myself and being a sloth all day.
I followed the sound of cereal being poured into bowls.

"G'morning, Emily," I said with a yawn.

She looked up like she was peering over sunglasses.

"Morning," she said stiffly.

"That's a cute shirt," I remarked politely, trying to make conversation with my niece.

"Thanks. It's new," she replied coolly.

Emily slid the bowl of Frosted Flakes to me. She poured a glass of orange juice and buttered toast and then gave them both to me.

"Thanks."

"Mmmhmm."

"Anything wrong?" I asked.

"Nope."

I decided to just be quiet and eat while I waited for Angela to get out of the bathroom. There was an awkward silence hanging over Emily and me as we ate. I silently prayed for Lisa to hurry.

My prayers were answered. Angela emerged from the bathroom with curled hair and a navy dress, smelling of Navy perfume and lotion.

"Hey Mommy!" Emily exclaimed. She ran to her mother for a kiss.

"Morning, Lisa," Angela said in a sharp tone.

"Morning."

I looked down at my spoon and saw the reflection of Angela looking suspiciously at me. I ignored it and kept eating.

"Lisa, I get home around 5:30. Emily gets home at 3:15 and I usually have a babysitter for her, but could you be the babysitter instead?" Angela said in a rush.

"Sure. I wanted to do some shopping today but I'll be home in time to meet her at the bus stop," I answered.

"Okay."

Angela poured herself a cup of coffee and nibbled at her toast.

"Coffee?" she offered to me.

"Um...sure."

I waited for the mug to be handed to me and then gulped it down. I wanted out of here very quickly.

"Gotta go. Bye Emily. Bye Lisa," Angela said, kissing Emily and then kissing me.

"Bye," Emily and I said in unison.

When Angela shut the door behind her, Emily told me goodbye, grabbed her backpack, and left too.

"Wait a second..." I said.

There was a problem.

"It's Saturday."