Status: Finished

Locked Away

Confrontation Isn't Always A Good Thing

I cleaned off the place where I had been eating, grabbed my suitcase, and followed the fresh tire prints in the dirt. They went to my mom's house, I had a feeling, so I walked there. I got there in about an hour, panting and with a cramp in my side and right thigh. My mom answered the door as soon as I knocked. She had a surprised and slightly upset look on her face when she saw me.

"Uh. Hi, Lisa. Come in," she said.

I walked in to see Emily on the couch, studying her thumbnail, and Angela with her arms folded in the chair beside the couch.

"Angela."

"Lisa."

Angela instructed Emily to go to the bathroom and not come out until she was told. When Emily shut the door behind her, I was ready.

"Liar," I hissed.

"Drunk!"Angela hissed.

"What?"

"You heard me. You came to my house drunk, complaining that Ryan was after you and beat you and blah blah blah," she said calmly.

"I was not drunk, I'm pregnant!' I argued.

She scoffed and refolded her arms. My mother stood motionless and silent for a second, then joined Angela beside her. This pose meant I was being ganged up on. She clasped her hands in front of her legs and stared, hard and drilling a hole into my eyes.

"Lisa. You know this family doesn't approve of alcohol. You came, drunk and mumbling to Angela's house, and scared Emily, I'm sure. You're either drunk or hungover now, and I don't welcome that in my house. Leave, please," she said harshly.

My body tensed up.

"And don't expect to be allowed at my house either. Ryan is a good man, and you screwed your relationship with him up, just like you screw everything up. I don't welcome screw-ups. Now leave," she directed.

I said nothing, I just left with my head held high. I needed to get the money from suitcase and go to a nearby hotel now. On the porch, I found $200 wadded up in my bag, pocketed it, and walked. No post-baby fat for me, with all the walking I was doing!

The sun was beating down on me as I walked around the street, most likely looking like a whore. I had dirty, messed-up hair, smeared makeup, ratty clothes, and walked funny. I definitely looked like one when I jogged to the front office of a dirty hotel, but I didn't care.

"I need to stay here!" I almost begged.

The lady looked at me with vacant eyes and asked for my name.

"Lisa Walker," I replied.

"How long?" she asked.

"I don't know."

She nodded and told me the price was $30 a night.

"Is cash okay?" I asked.

"Yeah."

I handed her $30 and she gave me a room key.

"Have a good day," we said simultaneously. We giggled simultaneously, and before we could do it any more, I walked outside to go to room 24.

My feet were relieved when they hit the hot water in the bathtub.

"Ahh," I said, sliding further into the tub.

I bathed, and then soaked, waiting for the aches to go away. I needed to go to the bank, grocery store, and drug store, and also look for a more permanent place to stay. There was too much to do.
..........................................................................................

The shock of cold water all around me jerked me awake. I was still in the bath! I shook my head and jumped out, drying off as quickly as I could. I had so much to do!

I brushed my hair, dressed, brushed my teeth, and left with money in record time. The sky was painted gold and pink, so I knew it was late. I quickened my pace to get to the drug store.

About two hours later, I was back at the hotel. Blisters covered my feet and my muscles ached from carrying bags of food for three miles. I was starving, so I made myself a sandwich and munched on that and a can of peaches. Today, I had spent $71.33. I only had $128.66 left. Not much to live off of.

As soon as I woke up, I needed to go to the bank (and not at an hour where no one is there, like I had today).

Next, I needed to look for a house.