Status: Finished

Locked Away

Angel

"Excuse me, sweetie."

I ignored this voice, thinking that this person wasn't talking to me.

"Isn't your name Lisa?"

That was weird. I guess they were talking to me. I looked around until I saw the lady that had checked me into my room. She was looking at me.

"Uh, yes," I replied.

"Looking for a place?" she asked, noticing my real estate ad papers.

"Yeah."

"Ah."

She sat down beside me, looking over my shoulder. This was awkward.

"Nice lobby," I said, wishing she would scoot back a little.

"Thank you. Are you having a nice stay?"

"Yes, actually," I admitted. I hadn't realized how helpful the trashy little place had been.

I really wished she would lean back. About now. But she didn't.

I stood up, grabbing my papers. Privacy was sounding better and better.

"I need to be going. Nice to see you again," I said.

"You too."

Thankful to be away from that woman, I hauled ass to my room. After locking the door, I threw myself on the lumpy bed and kept looking at places. A few apartments and cheap houses were in my "Yes" pile and expensive and shitty apartments were in my "No" pile. All I needed was a one bedroom apartment or house with a kitchen. Some good places came with two bedrooms, which I was just as happy with, since they were of equal price. It would be great for me and...

And...

Damn! I didn't even have a name. The baby wasn't due in nine months, but still. Oh my word, I hadn't even been to gynecologist! Whoa. The house-looking was going to have to be put on hold. I had to go to the doctor.

When I walked outside, the lady working in the lobby was getting into her car.

"Hey Lisa!" she called.

"Hey!" I called back. "Where could I find a gyno?" I asked once I made sure no one else was around.

"Oh, I'm actually going to one now. What a coincidence! Want a ride?" she said.

"Um, ok!"

I jogged to her car and got in.

"Dr. Straughn is excellent," she told me.

I nodded and wished for her to be quiet. I hoped she wouldn't ask-

"So what brings you here?"

"Long story short, my boyfriend is a jackass," I said.

She nodded, as if she really understood. She was silent the whole way to the doctor's office.
She sat in the waiting room while I filled out paperwork and answered questions. A few minutes later, I joined her and grabbed a magazine and waited for my name to be called.

"Lisa Walker?" a nurse with a clipboard called out.

I stood and walked to her. She led me to an examination room and instructed me to sit and wait for the doctor. I did as she said and looked at the diagrams of the vagina on the wall until Dr. Straughn came in.

"Hello!" he said. "I'm Dr. Straughn.

Dr. Straughn was tall with black hair and glasses. He was middle-aged, but very good looking.

"So what brings you here today?"

"I'm pregnant. Is there anything you need to do?" I said timidly.

"Yes, we'll need to check you out and make sure everything is going right. If it is, you'll be good to go."

I closed my eyes and let him do an examination. Think happy thoughts. In about an hour, he told me everything was okay. I got up to leave, thanked him, and went back to the waiting room. The lady who brought me here was paying for her visit.

"And how much was Lisa Walker's?" she asked.

"$45," the receptionist said.

I fumbled for some money, but she paid for me.

"I've got it," she told me.

What an angel. And I didn't even know her name...