Four Years

Eighth Grade

I wasn't completely over you, but you no longer invaded my every thought. I finally started having fun again. I was free of you at least. I only had one class with you when school started, something I was thankful for.

We didn't talk all of the year, and that was fine by me. All I wanted was to get you out of my life, even though you were never a part of it. In the hallways, though, I was unable to keep my eyes away from you, laughing and joking with your friends. It made my heart burn painfully.

To forget even more about you, I immersed myself into my school work, getting good grades every report card, keeping my parents happy. I thought less and less about you every day, and I was happy I was finally over you.

Or so I thought.

My friend and I were gossiping, and she told me you had broken up with your cheerleader girlfriend, and my heart leaped. I had another chance.

But with the school year coming to an end, and exams drawing close, I didn't act on it. Merely studied and tried to busy myself with other things.

I didn't want to like you again and be disappointed when you went back to a stupid cheerleader again.

How lucky was I, when you did go back to her, just like I knew you would, that I had given up on you and moved on.

For now at least.