Status: Working on Chapter 14 currently. :)

High Queen Layla, It Has a Nice Ring to It

D O U Z E

“Layla, please? I need you here.” Peter begged, he had one last chance to convince her to stay before she left, and he was really starting to wear Layla down. But she wouldn’t be Layla if she weren’t stubborn so as much as she wanted to just kiss him and agree to stay, she couldn’t.

“Peter, what use will I be here? In fact, I’ll probably just be a burden.” Layla told him softly, her hand resting against his cheek as she smiled sadly at him. He looked confused and angry then.

“Why would you think that?! You could never be a burden!” Peter asked furiously. Layla chuckled at him.

“If I’m here while you’re busy trying to fight, then what’ll you be doing?” She questioned him knowingly. He sighed.

“Trying to impress you.” He muttered as she smiled at him.

“Exactly. You’ll get cocky and lose focus. You need to focus on the duel.” As she told him this he sighed in defeat, pulled her into his arms and nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck.

“But with you gone I won’t be able to focus either, I’ll be too worried about you.” He mumbled, and Layla’s smile faltered as she noticed just how serious he was. Then she began to think. Just a week or two ago, she hated him.

So maybe hate was too strong of a word— she strongly disliked him. He had annoyed the crap out of her and he was so childish. He kept trying to hit on her, and back then she just figured it was because he thought she was a challenge to get, which she was. She saw him as this immature jerk that had no idea how to feel anything but lust, and who was controlled by testosterone.

During the time they had spent in Narnia, she had come to understand his behaviors even before she had remembered everything. He had been going through a sort of Narnia withdrawal. It must’ve been a PTSD of some sort, Layla could only imagine how horrid it would’ve been for her as well if she had left remembering everything. He had turned out to be a different person.

“Layla, it’s time.” Carissa informed her sister bringing her out of her thoughts, peeking into the makeshift bedroom the High King and his queen had shared since that first night a few days ago. Layla nodded, and Carissa disappeared allowing Layla to turn back to Peter who had pulled away and sat upon their bed, his face buried in his hands. Smiling sadly, Layla bent down and gave him a gentle kiss on top of his head.

“You don’t need to worry about me.” She told him picking up the pouch of items she had packed for the trip, “Now are you going to come see me off, or should I just—”

“No, I’m coming.” Peter grumbled running his hands through his hair as he stood up, then he took her hand in his before they made their way to the improvised stables.

~*~

Once they reached the ‘stables’, Peter and Layla stopped. Layla gave him one last smile before she began to walk away, but Peter wasn’t having it as he pulled her back, his lips meeting hers in a kiss that tried to convey all of their lost emotions for each other. When they finally pulled apart they were only a centimeter from each other, their lips still just barely touching as they caught their breaths.

“I love you.” She whispered against his lips.

“I love you too.” He muttered back with what was possibly the biggest smile Layla had ever seen him have on his face. With one last peck, he led her over to her horse, where he helped her up.

Once she and Yvainne were settled onto their horse, and Susan and Lucy were settled onto their own they prepared to set off.

“Wait!” Jared called out, running to catch them before they set off.

“What is it you big goof?” Layla asked her brother with a smile on her face. Her brother made a face at her before he approached Susan.

“I just wanted to wish you all good luck, and give this back to you.” He said pulling something out of his belt.

“My horn!” Susan exclaimed obviously surprised, before confusion took over. “I thought Caspian had it?” she pointed out in a questioning manner.

“He did, but he gave it to me before the raid. Said he thought it might come more in handy for me now than it would for him.” He told her with a blush rising to his cheeks.

“Ooooo! Jerry has a crush!” Layla taunted earning laughs from all but the two in front of her, Susan’s cheeks turning a light red as well.

“Why don’t you hold onto it? You might need to call me back.” She told him thoughtfully, and in the most flirtatious way possible for Susan. With that she and Lucy set off, and not far behind them Layla and Yvainne followed.

“You might need to call me back?” Lucy mocked as they rode.

“Oh, shut up!” Susan replied, embarrassed.

~*~

As soon as Layla and the others had set off, Peter had to get ready for the duel. As he put his armor on, he couldn’t help but think of all the memories he and Layla now had together. Would they still be there when they made their way back to their world? Or would she erase them again? He hoped for the former, and not just for his own benefit, but for Layla’s, Yvainne’s, and the rest of the Wynter’s as well. Layla was so different now from when they had first come back to Narnia. She wasn’t as cruel, nor was she as angry. She seemed to have found her peace in those memories; she found her stability in him.

“Pete.” Edmunds voice broke his thoughts. He turned to his brother, who then solemnly informed him, “It’s time.”

~*~

The cheering and shouting was near deafening as Peter and Edmund exited the howe and approached the stone area where the Stone Table had once lived. Carissa and Glenstorm were already waiting for the two others, and on the other side were Miraz and his crew.

They stopped in an archway where Edmund held the sheath out so Peter could draw his sword from it. When Peter did, the cheering intensified, as if the situation had just become real. Miraz mimicked Peter’s actions across the small impromptu arena. Both members of the duel stepped forward, and there was an eerie silence in the field while everyone waited for the first move to be made.

“There is still time to surrender.” Miraz offered the young King as they began to circle each other.

“Well, feel free.” Peter replied watching Miraz closely, trying to anticipate his move.

“How many more must die for the throne?” Miraz scolded as if speaking to a child and not a King who had ruled over a country for many years. This sparked Peter’s anger and frustrations from that day back at the station. He may be young, but he had seen more and done more than any other kid his age! He may be young on the outside, but within he was wiser than anyone would ever suspect.

“Just one!” Peter spat, and with that he had had enough waiting. Peter sprang at the other King and with that the duel commenced.

~*~

They hadn’t made it far into the forest before they heard the sounds of other hooves and a call of, “Ride!”

“They’ve seen us!” Lucy called as Susan and Layla gave each other a look. They both knew that the two younger girls had to keep going no matter what. They urged their horses to move faster as they continued into the woods, stopping at a place where the trees were scarce. Both Layla and Susan dismounted their horses.

“Take the reins.” Susan told Lucy and Yvainne.

“What are you doing?” Lucy asked worriedly, Yvainne looked at her sister and the two exchanged looks that conveyed what the other was saying. Yvainne nodded to her sister as if saying she understood, before turning to Lucy.

“It looks as if we’re on our own from here Lucy.” Yvainne told her sadly, before she set off again, Lucy followed shortly behind and Susan drew her bow. Layla turned to face the oncoming soldiers and murmured a protection spell for the girls as they stood waiting. Susan turned back and connected eyes with her little sister one last time before the two disappeared from sight.

At the sight of the first soldier Susan readied her bow and once they were in range, let an arrow loose. Layla on the other hand had a spell she was casting for them for protection, a shield of sorts. It would let arrows out but not in. Susan had shot down at least five soldiers before one made it close enough to swing at her, the other that was left using his horse to knock her over.

That was when they came. Jared and Caspian suddenly appeared on horses and quickly eliminated the remaining threats. Once they were gone, Jared made his way over to Susan.

“Are you sure you don’t need that horn?” he asked holding his hand out to her causing Susan to smile as she grabbed his hand and jumped onto the horse. Caspian came over to Layla and pulled her onto his horse, a smile on his face.

“What’s got you so happy Mr. Prince?” Layla asked.

“What? Oh—nothing.” He replied, but Layla gave him a knowing look as they made their way back towards the Howe.

~*~

As they arrived back at the Howe, they found Peter was doing rather well in his duel. He had lost his helmet, sure, but he had also put a cut into the other King’s thigh. Peter had just recovered from having being knocked to the ground when he caught sight of the two horses making their way to the arena. He sighed a bit in relief at the sight of Layla, but his heart froze when he noticed who was missing.

“Does His Highness need a respite?” Miraz questioningly mocked noticing Peter’s attention elsewhere.

Peter was breathing hard as a sharp pain hit his shoulder, and while he wanted to finish the duel, he wanted to see Layla and figure out what happened more, “Five minutes?”

“Three!” Miraz commanded, still having to have some sort of power. Peter didn’t much care for the small power trip, more concerned about his love and siblings.

The two made their ways to the opposite sides of the arena, Edmund picking up Peter’s helmet and helping him limp over to the side as much as he could. As soon as Layla was off of the horse, she ran to Peter catching him in an embrace which he returned with the arm that wasn’t in pain. She held onto him as though her life depended on it, so over her shoulder, he looked Susan straight in the eyes, “Lucy? Yvainne?”

“They got through... with a little help.” Susan replied indicating Jared and Caspian. Caspian was off to the side in a similar embrace to Peter’s and Layla’s but with Carissa. The two shared a kiss before making their way over to the other five. Once Caspian was within earshot Peter made sure to have both his and Jared’s attention before he smiled at them both.

“Thanks.”

“Well, you were busy.” Caspian replied and Jared nodded his agreement. Layla noticed Edmund’s relief as well at hearing that Yvainne was alright for now, even though he didn’t voice it.

“You better get up there.” Peter told Susan motioning to the ledge above the Howe where the archers were all waiting. “Just in case. I don’t expect the Telmarines will keep their word.” He added as an afterthought. Layla was standing behind him at this point, still extremely close but far enough away that Susan was able to give him a hug. “Ah!” He hissed at the pain shooting through his arm, causing Layla to jump. Once she noticed the look of pain upon his face she lightly placed her hand on his arm, letting her magic dull the pain. She smiled as he relaxed under her touch.

“Sorry.” Susan apologized as she pulled away.

“It’s all right.” Peter replied with a small smile.

Giving him a sad smile, Susan told him one last, “Be careful.” Then she made her way towards the Howe so she could climb to the ledge. Layla took Susan’s spot in front of Peter then.

“How badly does it hurt?” Layla asked him, concern written across her face.

“Pretty badly.” Peter gritted through his teeth. Edmund glanced between the Narnian’s and Peter, and reminded him to keep smiling. Peter turned to the crowd and with a big fake smile upon his face he held up his sword, which they replied to with loud cheers.

Peter sat down then and while Jared took his sword, Caspian took his shield off of his arm, causing Peter to gasp in pain. Layla stood back with her sister now though she still grimaced at the obvious pain on his face. “I think it’s dislocated.” Peter said referring to his shoulder. Edmund quickly came around, preparing to push his joint back into place. Peter was breathing hard as a single terrifying thought ran through his head. “What do you think happens back home if you die here?”

The morbid question lay in the air as Peter waited for a reply. He glanced back at Layla before looking at his brother, whose face conveyed that he was shocked that Peter even thought to question whether he’d make it home or not. “You know you’ve always been there, and I never really—Ah!”

Peter never got to finish his thought then because Edmund pushed the joint back into place. Peter was gasping for air as Edmund told him, “Save it for later.” Edmund moved to grab Peter sword then, as Layla rushed over pulling his face into her hands. She muttered a quick spell that would dull the pain without requiring her to be touching him, and then pulled his face down to hers giving him a quick kiss.

“I love you so much, you thickhead.” She told him with a smile. “And I believe in you.”

He smiled back at her leaning down to kiss her one last time as a silent reply before pulling his shield back onto his arm and taking his sword from Edmund. Layla moved back to stand with her sister, Caspian, and her brother as Edmund offered Peter his helmet. Peter shook his head declining the offer before stepping forward once more.

As the battle commenced once again, something flashed before Layla’s eyes.

More soldiers and they were surrounding Lucy and Yvainne.

Layla was confused as to what that was but shook it off, refocusing on the battle before another flash appeared.

Caspian with his sword held at an angle, as though he was about to slaughter someone.

‘What is going on?’ Layla wondered, once again trying to focus on the battle but unable to because yet another scene flashed before her.

Miraz lying on the stone with an arrow in his side.

She was able to focus on the battle long enough to see Miraz elbow Peter in the face, as Peter had his arm twisted behind his back before she caught the last flash.

Susan dangling from the ledge, her only tether being Trumpkin’s hand.

“Respite!” she heard Miraz call as the crowd began to cheer.

“Layla, are you all right?” Carissa asked as Layla swayed slightly before gaining her balance once again.

“Yes, I’m fine.” She told her sister reassuringly with a smile before turning back to the scene before her.

Miraz was on his knees and Peter had his fist pulled back for a blow, but was hesitating.

“Now’s not the time for chivalry, Peter!” Edmund shouted at him but slowly Peter dropped his hand. Finally he dropped his hand and began to walk back to them, giving the King the respite he requested. But Miraz wasn’t having it. Picking up the sword that lay discarded Miraz went to deliver a blow to the back of Peter’s head.

“Look out!” Edmund yelled at his brother at the same time as Layla screamed, “Peter!”

The warnings came just soon enough that Peter was able to not only dodge the blow but use it to his advantage as he thrust the sword into the other king’s shoulder under his armor.

Peter pulled the sword out and Miraz fell to his knees. All was silent as everyone waiting for Peter to kill the Telmarine King.

“What’s the matter boy? Too cowardly to take a life?” Miraz taunted after a minute of silence and waiting.

Peter looked at the king with distaste as he lowered the sword. “It’s not mine to take.” He spat through gritted teeth before turning to Caspian and offering him the sword.

Caspian stepped forward and grasped the sword, eyes trained on Miraz. Peter bent over picking up his own sword and moving back towards the others. As soon as he was in her reach, Layla pulled him close to her in an embrace before turning so they could both see what the Prince was doing.

The second flash came true before Layla’s eyes as Caspian had the sword angled down towards Miraz. They could all see Miraz’s lips moving but none of them could quite hear him, then Miraz looked down and Caspian let out a scream thrusting the sword down.

But there was no bloodshed from the Prince.

“Keep your life. But I am giving the Narnians back their kingdom.” Caspian said just loud enough for the group off to the side to hear.

Caspian then returned back to the others, Carissa giving him a kiss and telling him how proud she was of him as the two began to make their way back towards the Howe. The Narnians cheered behind their Kings and Queen as they figured it was a victory. But Layla knew better.

“It’s not done.” She mumbled.

“What?” Peter asked her in confusion before they heard the groaning from behind them. Turning back towards Miraz, Layla found the third flash unfolding before their eyes. They all stared in disbelief as the King’s man shouted, “Treachery!”

“Fuck!” Layla shouted as she turned to Peter, “Get ready! This is about to become bloody!”

“They shot him!” the man yelled to his people. “They murdered our king!” He called as he pulled Miraz’s sword from the ground where Caspian had left it. Then he ran back to his men.

“Be Ready!” Peter shouted back to the Narnians who all shifted into fight positions.

“Peter!” Caspian screeched from where he was stood with Carissa. One of the soldiers was coming at them, and Peter moved forward, engaging him and getting a few hits in before beheading him.

“Go!” He called to those left standing close to the arena.

Carissa made her way up to the ledge, Caspian jumped on his horse ready to do his part when the time came and Jared joined Peter, Edmund, and Layla. Across the field the Telmarines began using their catapults, shooting stone balls flying over towards the Narnians.

The Telmarines surged forward then, and Layla watched as she muttered, “Here we go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello My Lovelies!

I hope you're all doing well! I know it's been a long time since I updated, but here's the next chapter. My classes start back on Wednesday so I'm not sure when I'll be updating next, but to semi make up for it, this chapter is 7 pages long as 9 point, Verdana font and a little over 3,250 words. I hope you enjoy it!

Also I've edited chapter 1 and begun posting this story on tumblr, so if you want to reread chapter 1 I corrected some mistakes and added a little more detail, and if you want to look me up on tumblr my username is kimbakimothy.

Happy Reading!
Kaylee Lovett xx