Status: previously known as 'Forbidden Love'

The Right Kind of Wrong

The Forbidden Transfer

Sitting behind the wheel of her black VW Beetle, Emily ran her fingers through her lose hair and tapped her finger against the wheel in sync with the beat of the song playing on the radio as she tried to keep her mind focused, driving down the I-29, surrounded by nothing but fields.

Miles and miles of wheat fields…

If she hadn’t driven in similar surroundings before, she was sure she would have been either freaked out and sure she had made a wrong turn somewhere or bored so completely out of her mind that she would have fallen asleep. Not that she was far away from it at the moment, but she had followed her mother’s advice of stopping often and walking around the car at least twice, to keep the blood flowing. Or something, she hadn’t really been paying attention to what she’d been talking about as she was loading her stuff into the minimal trunk as well as the backseat.

When she enrolled university some three years prior, she’d been pretty sure it would be the only time she was encountering a new school, an unfamiliar campus as well as unknown roommates, quirky professors and strange traditions. But as with a lot of things, her college career had taken an unforeseen turn some weeks, months earlier.

Closing her eyes for a moment, pushing the thoughts, memories and more importantly the pain away, as she’d promised herself, practically sworn, that she wouldn’t go there again, she refocused her gaze on the boring road. Sometimes she wondered if there wasn't anything they could do to make the country roads more interesting. It wasn't as if the oncoming traffic would be disturbed, especially considering there were none. She was pretty sure it had been at least half an hour since she even passed another car…

Watching the whichever-number sign announcing just how long she had till she reached Grand Forks, ND pass by, she frowned slightly. She’d driven the exact road about two times previously, both times with far more exciting company than three cardboard boxes in the backseat.

It wasn't so much that she had anything against the town itself…or well she did… Shaking her head, she silently cursed herself for having an internal battle with herself over something so stupid. If she wasn't so used to it, she would for sure have thought she was going crazy.

If asked some four years earlier she wouldn’t even have been able to tell you which state Grand Forks was in, much less what their University was named. And here she was, heading straight for its campus…life sure works in mysterious ways sometimes.

The sign welcoming her to the town passing by, she glanced around at the passing buildings skeptically. She was a city girl at heart, had always and would always be, so why the hell was she moving to a town with at most 50,000 people in it…?

The green and white on the buildings she knew to belong to the school caused her to frown and scrunch up her nose slightly. Those would take some time getting used to, that was for sure. She had never really been a big fan of green…though she had a suspicion that stemmed from a bad experience involving cucumber and something that didn’t sit well with her when she was younger; she’d been throwing up green bits for hours…

Watching the sign outside the large brick building just outside the car as she was waiting for the light to turn green, she couldn’t shake the feeling that she was trespassing, entering enemy soil or at least walking into unchartered territory. And it was a feeling she didn’t like.

Slowly driving down the road that would soon end up being familiar, she couldn’t help but question why she was even there in the first place…

Smiling widely as she jogged up the familiar stairs in the apartment building, Emily waved at the familiar form of Tony Lucia before heading down the hall she’d walked down more times than she could count. She was really supposed to be in a class for her course in English, but ever since she’d gotten the call, she’d been practically bursting with excitement and she couldn’t wait to tell Erik.

She literally couldn’t wait, so she was skipping class. Turning the corner, the door she knew all too well came into view and she actually squealed a little as she hurried over. Knowing he would most likely be in bed, still sleeping as it wasn't passed noon yet, she used the universal key; her school ID, just like he’d once taught her in freshman year.

Pushing the door open, she gently closed it behind her and frowned slightly at the mess that was taking up most of the apartment, and for a moment she was really, genuinely happy that they had yet to take the step to move in together. They were engaged, but they were both a little too comfortable where they were to try and move in together, they sort of figured they could hold that off till they graduated, or at least till their senior year.

Stepping over a pair of well-worn sneakers, she sucked her lower lip between her teeth and quietly continued further into the apartment. She’d been there so many times she could – and often did – navigate it in her sleep, or with her eyes closed.

Rounding the corner, she frowned slightly as she saw the strangely familiar top lying in a heap on the floor, but she shook it off, it was probably one of the ‘puck bunnies’ who’d forgotten it during the weekend. And anyway, many people had to have it in their closets.

A sound reaching her in the otherwise quiet apartment, she cocked an eyebrow as she slowly continued forwards. She could attribute it to the TV, but a feeling of dread was already forming in the pit of her stomach and she was unable to do anything about it.

The feelings of excitement and happiness slowly disappearing, she reached out her hand and closed her eyes as she slowly turned the handle, carefully pushing the door open. Her breath catching in her throat, she didn’t know whether she should laugh, cry, scream or just a combination of all three.

Her darling fiancé was having sex with someone who clearly wasn't her, in his bed. Where she’d slept an uncountable number of times.

Not moving, not making any sound, her eyes grew as she recognized the dark red hair of the woman he was in the middle of screwing. It was locks she’d envied for years, that she’d braided, cut and styled on several occasions.

Her darling fiancé was having sex with Britney. The first and only girl she’d gotten even remotely close to since arriving at the school. The girl she shared all her problems and most of her secrets with.

The bitch was moaning loudly as her fiancé was pushing her higher on the bed with each thrust.

Her darling fiancé, whom she’d dropped her whole life for, whom she’d moved half-way across the world for, whom she’d changed her dreams for, was screwing her roommate…

Swallowing, she forced her tears away and quietly slid the solitaire diamond ring from her left ring finger, not moving her eyes away from the scene unfolding before her eyes.

“Having fun?” she ground out as she managed to finally regain control over her own feelings.

“Emmy!” Erik exclaimed surprised as he froze mid-thrust, his eyes widening as they landed on her.

“Don’t stop,” Britney moaned.

“I hope she’s worth it,” Emily stated evenly.

“What…?” Erik faltered slightly as Britney finally realized they’d been caught.

“This…thing…between us, it’s over,” Emily said, her voice surprisingly steady. “I don’t want to see you ever again.”

“Baby, please,” Erik tried as he moved away from the redhead beneath him, covering himself with the sheets.

“Don’t baby me,” Emily glared, an evil glint appearing in her eye. “I gave up everything for you and this is how you repay me?” she spat at him. “I really hope you know what you're doing, cause you’re not going to be seeing me anymore,” she announced.

“We can work this out,” he pleaded.

“There’s nothing to work out,” she retorted, barely acknowledging the way Britney was trying to shrink away from sight. “And you don’t need to go anywhere Brit, I'm leaving,” she threw out as she sent a downright dark glare in her friend’s direction. “You screwed this one up real good,” she announced, shifting her gaze towards Erik. “Won’t be needing this anymore,” she added as she glanced down at the sparkling diamond ring in her hand, before launching it with surprising strength and accuracy at the man she’d been so sure she would spend the rest of her life with.

“Emmy,” Erik tired as he fumbled with his boxers, trying to get them on without displaying his obvious arousal.

“Don’t,” she growled at him as she refused to turn around. “This isn’t…I'm never going to forgive you,” she promised him, lingering for a moment before she walked out of the apartment, feeling nothing at all. Not the happiness from before nor the anger and disgust from minutes earlier. She was simply numb…


Right…cause her best friend and roommate had been ‘doing’ her fiancé behind her back. Or her fiancé had cheated on her with her best friend and roommate…whichever version you preferred really.

That was the reason she was making the ‘forbidden’ transfer from University of Minnesota to their biggest rivals…University of North Dakota…