Status: previously known as 'Forbidden Love'

The Right Kind of Wrong

It’s the Subway Holiday Classics

Books spread out over most of the table surface between them, Taylor and Emily was studying together in one of the many different couch-areas in the school buildings. They were working on a project together and had spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out what they were going to focus on during the presentation.

Scribbling down yet another few notes on the papers before her, Emily glanced down at her cell phone and cursed under her breath as she realized what time it was. Once again, it had clearly gotten away from her.

“I have to go,” she announced, beginning to sort through the books and masses of papers to find what was hers and what was Taylor’s.

“Why?” Taylor asked surprised, in the middle of typing away on his laptop.

“I have somewhere to be tonight,” she revealed, looking a bit sheepish as she wasn't going to tell him it was a hockey game knowing how he felt about that. It wasn't as if he couldn’t figure it out on his own anyway, The Subway Classics was something most of the students on campus were chatting about at the moment, it was going to be a test to see how the team stood up against unfamiliar opponents. “And I have to get ready,” she added as she stuffed her papers together and wrapped them in a plastic folder.

“It’s that hockey game isn’t it?” he questioned, struggling to keep his voice even as to not aggravate her. He was still not happy about how much time she was spending around them, but he’d learned his lesson and he’d made a promise with himself to keep his mouth shut and then be there for her when her imaginary world came down like a house of cards.

“Yeah, it is,” she confirmed simply. “Maybe I can call you tomorrow and we can get together to try and get this at least half done?” she asked as she struggled to close her bag, it was at times like these she loved having a car.

“Sure,” he nodded, watching her get her last things together and stand up from the couch, throwing away her trash.

“Great,” she broke out in a wide smile. “See you later,” she threw over her shoulder as she hurried down the hall and towards the stairwells.

It was times like these he loved, getting to see her so carefree and happy. Not to mention, her dimples were to die for and only served to make her even more attractive in his eyes.

Glancing back down at what he’d written, he thanked his lucky stars that he managed to get her to agree to work this project with him and not anyone else in the class. It served as a great excuse for them to spend more time together, and maybe he could even make her realize what a big mistake she was making by getting involved with the hockey players…

Sighing heavily, he was slowly coming to realize it would be a lot harder than he’d previously thought but looking out of the windows, a small smile spread across his lips as he saw her exiting the building and heading straight for her small, adorable car. The first time he saw it he’d been sure she was joking, but the more he got to know about her, the more he realized it fit her personality.

Watching her stuff her bag into the trunk and jog around the car before getting in behind the wheel, he silently vowed to himself to get her to see reason and soon. And if not…he was going to be there to pick up the pieces when whichever hockey player was on her mind ultimately screwed up. Like they always did.

Picking slightly at the hem of the team-sweater she was wearing, reaching further down her legs than the unzipped jacket she also had on, Emily was starting to feel rather uncomfortable. She’d promised to meet Chris out by his car after the game and she’d lingered in her seat as long as she could before actually leaving the arena, but she was starting to feel puck bunny-ish.

It wasn't fully as ‘desperate’ as after the only NHL game she’d been to in her 23 years, but still, waiting by someone’s car in the dim parking lot, behind an arena still felt wrong. And she had already entertained the thought of leaving – several times in fact.

But she had promised, so she stayed, leaning slightly on his dark pick-up and ignoring the fact that she was probably getting both her jeans and her jersey slightly dirty. Though a rather confident feeling told her that Chris wouldn’t be all too happy about the later, considering he was the one who’d given her the sweater in the first place.

He early on felt that her lone sweatshirt and the one T-shirt she owned with UND/Sioux print on it wasn't sufficient supporter gear, so he decided to get her a real jersey. And having been around hockey players and other sports for as long as she had, it didn’t take her long to figure out that the jersey had been used and washed a few times before it was given to her.

Considering that she’d spent the previous three years donning a maroon and gold jersey with Carlsson printed on the back, officially ‘branding’ her as a girlfriend and practically a property of one of the Gophers’ right winger, she had been slightly skeptical about accepting the shirt. She really wasn't sure that she would be able to walk into an arena with VandeVelde printed on her back, but he’d ultimately surprised her, cause as she turned the jersey around, it didn’t have a 29 on the back. She’d been informed that the person who’d had the jersey had already left the school so she was currently walking around with a big 14 on her back, topped off with the name Miller across her shoulder blades.

Glancing down at the watch on her arm for the umpth time since leaving the arena, she suppressed sigh as she promised herself that if he wasn't there in five minutes, she would head back home without him. She was officially starting to freeze her bum off.

“Sorry!”

The voice that was growing almost too familiar in such a short time caused a soft smile to spread across her lips as she pushed herself away from the large vehicle behind her. “I’ll think about it,” she replied as he got closer to her.

“Time simply got away from me, and I'm really sorry,” he continued apologizing.

“Don’t worry about it,” she assured him. “But just for the record, I am freezing.”

Apologizing once again, Chris proceeded to unlock his pick-up and both of them climbed inside it before he drove out of the parking lot, being one of the last to do so after the day of continuous activity around the arena.

“So do you feel up to going to the party anyway?” he asked as he settled into his seat and drove down the streets even Emily was starting to find familiar.

“Yeah, I mean, if you want to,” she shrugged slightly, she wasn't a party-pooper, she wasn't going to say no to a celebration party, especially when in the presence of someone who might want to go.

“Take out and a movie?” he threw out there, watching her from the corner of his eye, happy to find a smile spreading across her lips.

“Sounds great,” she nodded as she leaned further back into the seat and watched the buildings pass by outside the truck.

She didn’t need to look over at Chris to know that he was smiling and something about that caused her to smile as well. Though something else could also have been the cause of that; turning down going to a party was something that never happened when she was together with Erik. And whilst it was unusual, it was nice, takeout sounded a lot better than loud music and alcohol at the moment.