Status: previously known as 'Forbidden Love'

The Right Kind of Wrong

A World of Changes

Having spent the last weeks of her junior year consciously ignoring her former fiancé as well as her still-roommate, Emily fled the state and even the country as soon as final exams were done. Erik hadn’t taken the breakup as smoothly as she would have liked, especially considering he was the one who cheated on her, and he’d been popping up everywhere she went. They had never had any classes together and in difference to some of her friends who had boyfriends in the school; they had never really met up outside the classrooms unless they had somewhere to be, together. Yet there he was…

At first it had been just annoying and somewhat embarrassing as she wasn't keen on everyone knowing that he’d cheated, and then it was just a pain, he never seemed to get the message.

Britney on the other hand…well that was even worse seeing as they shared an apartment together. She’d tried solving that problem by crashing on a friend’s couch and only returning to the apartment when she really needed something. Sadly Britney had taken on a bit of a schizophrenic approach to it all. At times she was completely null, not seeming to care at all, other times she was deeply sorry and apologized constantly, and sometimes she was downright rude, claiming that it was her own fault she’d been cheated on, and that she certainly didn’t regret it.

The later only served to show that Britney didn’t really know her at all. It had only served as an accelerator for her slowly building anger, and she would or wouldn’t admit that she had been the one who spread the ‘secret’ that Britney had indeed been bedding the boyfriend of the captain of one of the spirit squads for the past two years…

She didn’t like to know how the other girl had taken it, but she knew that it was better to know than find out by walking in on it…

Surviving the last weeks of the school year, she’d booked a ticket back to her home country and had proceeded to stay with her family for most of the summer. Not having seen them for a whole year always banked for a nice reunion and as she’d walked off the plane on home soil once again, she’d broken out in a wide smile and realized that it had never felt so good to be back there.

Spending the weeks reconnecting with old friends and family as well as traveling to Greece with her closest cousins, she had slowly started distancing herself from the heartbreak that had previously felt like it would destroy her whole life. The pain was still very much there and she doubted it would go away anytime soon, but it felt good to be able to do more than just function.

No to mention her cousins all promised to severely hurt him if he ever messed with her again…

And it was on one of the white beaches in the Greek isles that she fully realized that she wasn't going to be able to return to University of Minnesota – Twin Cities in the fall. She wasn't going to be able to walk across the campus, sit in the same halls and talk with the same people as before, because…well, because nothing was like it had been.

With the help of her laptop and a mobile internet connection, she spent an entire day sitting at a boardwalk café, researching and weighing her options back and forth. The easiest was to just transfer to another of University of Minnesota’s campuses and finish her education there. But a small part of her felt like that would be like running…which it was but… She also realized that she had a bit of a vindictive streak that wasn't about to just lay down and take it, and it was because of that she was currently starting her first year, as a senior, at University of North Dakota.

Neither of them could probably have told you that there even was a school named University of Minnesota till they both enrolled there, but during the years there, as an athlete, Erik had embraced school spirit and rivalries to a full, and – of course – it didn’t hurt that he had went up against North Dakota on several occasions.

Personally, Emily had pretty much taken to the Gophers just cause of Erik, and whilst they slowly grew on her, they weren’t as important to her as they were to her fiancé…ex-fiancé.

And if she knew him like she thought she did, her turning up at North Dakota would hit where it hurt more than anything else…

Which was exactly why she had applied for a transfer to the school with the Fighting Sioux as a mascot…

Returning to the states after summer vacation, she’d flown to St Paul, collected her car and most of the stuff from her old apartment and set out on the drive up to Grand Forks, a drive she had always been sure she would only do when the Gophers met the Sioux up there. Apparently she’d been wrong.

After sending in the applications for a transfer, she’d been surprisingly calm, she had good grades, averaging on a 3.8GPA and there had been no doubt in her mind that she would be accepted. So when the letter finally came, she’d simply arranged her travel and living arrangements before making the long trip over, leaving her home country with a promise from family and friends to not let Erik know where she was.

She was going to move on from him if it so was the last thing she did. Or maybe not quite so morbidly.