Status: previously known as 'Forbidden Love'

The Right Kind of Wrong

You Have Something Against Hockey Players?

Literally running up the stairs and then jogging down the unfamiliar halls, Emily could only silently curse her own luck, bad luck more like it. It was her first day as a student at UND, and she was running late. Very late!

Classes had started some ten minutes earlier and she hadn’t been there cause she was the worst morning person in the world, and paired with the fact that she after two weeks in the town still didn’t fully know her way around it was a recipe for disaster. She’d been running around her dorm room like a crazy woman trying to get ready when she realized that she should have left already.

Reaching the right door, she stopped for a second and took a deep breath before she quietly opened the door and snuck into the crowded room. Of course the class had to be huge. Trying to keep her heels from making too much sound as she walked up the steps, she smiled apologetically at a guy sitting in the second last seat on a row in the middle of the room and quickly slid into the seat next to him.

She was sure that she had never felt so uncomfortable in her life…

“Ms Larsson, I presume?”

She’d been wrong…

“Yes,” she confirmed, trying to keep the redness in her cheeks to a minimum, but knowing that she was failing miserably as the tall guy next to her smiled widely as he glanced over at her.

“Here at UND we value punctuality,” the professor jabbed as he leaned against the desk and looked up at her.

“Yes, sir,” Emily blushed even deeper as she sank further down in her seat. “I’ll try not to do it again.”

“Good,” he nodded before going straight back into his speech about different marketing strategies.

“That was just a little awkward.”

Glancing over at the guy in a baseball cap that was sitting next to her, she frowned slightly as she thought she recognized him but quickly brushed it away, she didn’t know anyone in Grand Forks.

“You don’t say,” she agreed softly, her blush still lingering. “He’s always like that?”

“I wouldn’t know,” the guy admitted. “I've never had him before,” he smiled widely as he looked straight at her, his blue eyes sparkling with mischief.

“I'm Emily,” she introduced herself.

“Taylor,” he replied, shaking her hand before they both turned to look at the professor and at least appeared to be paying attention to what he was saying.

Glancing at the tall, blonde guy beside her, Emily couldn’t help but feel like maybe things weren’t going to be so bad in Grand Forks after all…

Putting her notebook along with the many papers that had been handed out into her messenger bag, Emily quickly stood up, happy to finally get to stretch her legs as the class was finally over. It had been a long time since she’d been so utterly bored in class…

“That was real bore,” Taylor stated as they slowly walked out of the hall along with everyone else who’d been there.

“You don’t say,” she agreed. “I really thought I was going to fall asleep the way he kept rambling on. I haven't been that bored in class since I was in high school.”

“You and me both,” he smiled at her as they turned down the hall. “You leaving now or do you have more classes?”

“No,” she shook her head. “Well, I have one later today, tonight really, but I was thinking of getting something to eat, granted I don’t get lost doing it,” she smiled humorously, she’d been getting lost for months when she first moved to St Paul and something told her it wouldn’t be nearly as scary here.

“We could go together and I can show you around,” he suggested hopefully.

Looking at him for a moment, knowing that all he would ever be was a friend, she weighed pros and cons before nodding slightly. “Sure, I’d like that.”

“Great,” he beamed as they continued down the hall. “So where are you from? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“What says that I'm not from around here?” she asked coyly, not really looking forwards to reveal how she’d ended up there.

“First, I haven't seen you around,” he pointed out. “And this is a class for juniors and seniors, meaning that you must have been going somewhere else and you have a slight accent, it’s not Canadian, so…where are you from?” he asked smirking.

“I don’t have an accent,” she disagreed laughing.

“No, you don’t,” he agreed, happy to have her smiling widely.

“I moved here about three years ago,” she said. “I'm originally from Sweden,” she revealed as they continued down the hallway.

“Oh,” he nodded slowly. “You like it here?”

“It’s really not that different,” she told him frankly as they turned a corner and she ended up walking straight into another person.

“Sorry,” she apologized quickly, looking up to see a tall redhead frowning deeply.

“Whatever,” he grunted annoyed, brushing passed them angrily.

A slight frown across her face, Emily looked back at the guy who was storming down the hall, people moving to make room for him. She was sure she’d seen him before…

“Rude,” Taylor mumbled darkly as he glared at the guys retreating back.

“What?” she asked surprised as they continued walking down the hall.

“That guy,” he motioned over his shoulder. “They all just think they can do whatever they want,” he stated annoyed.

“They?” she frowned, wondering what the hell he was talking about.

“The hockey players, they walk around like they own this place, like they’re some sort of Gods just cause they can skate around on a piece of ice and push each other into boards every weekend,” he rattled off darkly, his animosity shining straight through.

“You have something against hockey players?” she asked pointedly.

“They think they’re gods,” he pointed out frankly.

“I played hockey for a few years, I've dated several hockey players and half my senior class in high school was hockey players…” she told him evenly. “Don’t you think you're generalizing just a little?” she questioned.

“Oh, I didn’t…” he tried to backtrack quickly. She didn’t look like a hockey player so he had just assumed…

“Oh you did,” she disagreed. “Don’t take out whatever misplaced anger you have on a group of people you clearly don’t know,” she instructed him frankly.

“I'm sorry, I wasn't…” he apologized sheepishly, silently wondering how he managed to dig himself such a large hole in just a few seconds.

“Just don’t do it again,” she stated simply as she headed down the stairs, leaving him to follow behind and as much as she wanted to make new friends, those prejudgments was something she could do without.