A Project Human Story: A Dead One

In It, The Red Burns

Nights like this one were frantic. What I could describe as inky blackness that blanketed my room brought upon me nightmares. Nightmares that will never stop. In these nightmares I’m running through the rain that throws itself down on everything. I can feel my clothes clinging to my skin, my hair whipping around as I tried desperately to find my way through the darkness in the streets.

Downtown was never suppose to be that dark.

In that darkness there was someone who could easily catch up to my weak, insufferable speed but they chose to tease me. Using their speed to become only feet away and then fall back again. I couldn’t tell if they really wanted to catch me or to wait for me to wear myself out of breath. In these nightmares, I was feeling my throat burn and my lungs on fire. My muscles were tense and just waiting to give up the run while I was running out of downtown and alleyways to maze through.

When these nightmares would fade just before his hand could catch my shirt and drag me back, I’d sit up and pant; caked in sweat. There was nothing but those nightmares for the past six months now. During the day I would never let them plague my mind like I use to six months ago…no, the reign of these dreams were reserved only when the sun was down.

I would like to think I have control over these nightmares, and maybe I do if he hasn’t caught me yet. I’m not even sure if he is a he. But whatever he is I know he controls me while I’m asleep.

I glanced over to the cat whose silhouette I could see in the window near my bed and I whispered to him, “Do you think a nice, warm shower would do me good, Clove?”

His head moved to catch my eye, but between him and I the darkness was too thick to see. Even if he understood me and he would have answered or not, I got up anyway.

The air in the room was colder then myself once I lifted away the sheets, glad to feel the way it made me shiver against the goose bumps.

That shiver shifted from a good feeling, to one that made me turn my back to the window as Clove stood with his back arched. Two burning, red orbs blinked back at me. A scream was caught in my throat when my body went rigid. Could it dare be those eyes of the man from yesterday? I couldn’t think about it, I didn’t want to think about it. I fled to the bathroom, slamming the door shut and willing those eyes to fade from my mind.

But unlike the nightmares, those eyes didn’t fade as I shifted out of my clothing and stepped under the warm water I prepared. Those eyes didn’t fade from my mind as I jumped out of the shower, happy that I made good time to take a shower so early I could try to enjoy my breakfast along side the sunrise. Even while I was preparing my breakfast and waiting for my jasmine tea to steep they were still with me, prickling the hairs on my neck and tickling at my spine.

By the time I had finished everything and the sun was peaking out above the buildings and work was just around the corner I had forgotten about my nightmares but disappointed I hadn’t forgotten about those eyes.

I pounded my feet down the four flights of rickety old wooden steps to the bookshop, greeting my boss with a forced smile.

“Are you alright, Jade?” Mark asked kindly with a look of sheer concern on his old face.

Of course I wasn’t alright, because I wanted those eyes out of my head but, “Oh yeah, I’m fine. Just a bit tired.”

Thankfully I don’t scream when I have nightmares…at least I don’t think I do, and if I do then no one hears me. Other wise everyone would know just why I’m always groggy and baggy-eyed.

“Have you unlocked the door?” I asked him and he shook his head no.

Handing me the keys he spoke, “If you want you can go on a head and do that.”

I did, and ended up wishing I didn’t. I released a small shriek with upon lifting my head from turning the keys in the lock when my eyes locked with those red ones. This time though, they were attached to a face. That familiar, judgmental one from yesterday. He slammed his palm with the application against the glass of the door and a wide smirk on his face.

I opened the door and was about ready to shout in his face when he pushed through me and into the store.

“You need caffeine or something. You seem a bit shaky.”

Wasn’t it those eyes I saw in my window this morning? I stared at them, wondering, but all I saw was his cocky attitude. Not the freakish glow from the ones this morning.

“I don’t need anything.” I said curtly, “Returning your application?”

“No need to be rude, and isn’t it obvious enough? I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t.” He returned the rudeness with a sneer on his face. A pure, evil sneer to go along with that energy of his bursting this time from his body instead of just lightly rolling. I wanted to gag out for air, but perhaps that would give me away if he was conscious of his power.

He slid the application across the counter, giving me a lasting smirk along with his eyes and with a flash of black left the store, the bell ringing in his wake. My heart was beating against my chest as I let my head fall between my folded arms. I was anything but ready to face this day…anything but.