Each Days A Number

Seven.

The boys’ laughter grew louder and louder with each passing second as she drove towards Arizona. Excitement filled the van because the guys couldn’t wait to play the show in their hometown of Tempe that night. All they could talk about was being able to see their family and their friends, and being able to play a great show; Dessie could sense the happiness, and it made her happy to know that her new friends were beyond ecstatic.

A loud scream erupted from Kennedy and a burst of laughter came from Jared to where he couldn’t even breathe; Pat, Garrett, and John, who was in the front seat, yelled “oh” simultaneously and this little incident caused Dessie to swerve a little in the other lane.

“What the hell?” she yelled, trying to look back at the boys and at the road at the same time. “What happened?”

“Jared…Kennedy…hilarious!” Garrett informed through his fit of laughter, clutching his stomach as he sat next to Pat in the middle seat.

“Mom!” Kenny screamed, holding the top of his head with both of his hands. “Jared hurt me!”

“Oh, Lord,” Dessie rolled her eyes at Kennedy’s choice of nickname. “You probably deserved it,” she chuckled.

“No way!” he yelled back.

“He did, Dessie!” Jared called from the way back. “He gave me a wet willy and I hit him,” he explained calmly.

“But, but with his phone!” Kenny whined, causing everyone in the van to laugh. “It’s not funny! My head hurts.” With a pout, he sat back and crossed his arms over his chest.

“You shouldn’t have stuck your spit covered finger in his ear,” she pointed out.

“Sorry for being excited, mom,” Kennedy smirked as he looked at Garrett who had a slight glare on his face for no apparent reason.

Dessie rolled her eyes and drove through the Exit 7 for the Marquee Theater. The excitement level in the van rose as the boys recognized each street she turned on before reaching the venue and pulled up in front; John, Garrett, Pat, Kennedy, and Jared were out of the vehicle before Dessie even put it in park. She climbed out and came around the van to see Garrett waiting a few feet away with a smile on his face.

“I got to the front door before I realized I should’ve waited for you,” he said softly, extending his arm out to her.

She graciously linked her arm through his and smiled. “You didn’t have to; I understand your family and friends are already here.”

“You’re my friend too,” he immediately regretted saying that, but Dessie played it off with a fake smile and nodded her head as they continued their way into the venue.

The guys were huddled in a rather large group, smiling, laughing, and hugging every unfamiliar face that she saw. Garrett’s pace quickened since he couldn’t wait to see the people he’s missed so much the passed three weeks. A frown formed along his lips when Dessie stopped walking, causing him to jerk back from being linked together.

“What’s the matter?” he asked, watching as her eyes averted from the group and back to him, nervously, multiple times.

“I, um, I have to use the facilities. I’ll m-meet you over there in a minute,” she replied, attempting to ignore the uncomfortable feeling forming in the pit of her stomach.

“Everything alright?” Garrett asked her, his blue eyes staring deep in her brown.

“Yeah, yeah totally; I’ll be right back,” Dessie slipped her arm from his and hurried to the bathroom on the opposite side of the oversized room.

Splashing cold water on her face, she gazed at her reflection in the mirror, allowing the beads of water to spill down her cheeks. A heavy sigh slipped from her lips; thoughts of Garrett rummaged in her mind, causing butterflies to sprout within her. They were friends, and she understood that. But it’s not what she wanted.

She wanted to expand their friendship, but Dessie wasn’t sure if that’s what he wanted. What she knew was that he was the best friend she’s ever had who looked out and cared for her. And that’s all that she thought he would want to do. He was helping her out through pure kindness, and she didn’t want to ruin their growing friendship by having feelings for him he didn’t share.

“Be right out!” Dessie called out after a knock pounded twice on the bathroom door. She quickly dried her face and wiped excess eyeliner from under her eyes before throwing the paper towel away. “I said I was fine, Gar- oh?” she cut herself off when she saw Alex Gaskarth standing in front of her. A glare formed along her face and she crossed her arms over her chest. “What?”

“I was just wondering if everything’s alright,” he informed her nicely.

She scratched her cheek as her glare went away. “Everything is fine; why wouldn’t they be?” Dessie walked fully out of the girls’ bathroom and leaned against the wall with her arms still crossed.

He shrugged his shoulders. “Well, I just saw you walk away from Garrett, and thought I’d see if you were okay. You know, if you’re relationship was okay.”

Dessie sighed again, unsure of what to say. They weren’t dating, and that halted ideas in her mind. “I’m good, okay? I have to go now.”

Alex tilted his head to the side. “Something’s bothering you,” he pointed out.

Her eyebrows furrowed and she placed her hand on her hip. “How would you know? You don’t know me, Alex.”

“I can see it in your eyes,” he tucked a strand of her dark hair behind her ear. “We’ll be in Las Vegas tomorrow; if you want, or need to take a load off, just come find me,” Alex smirked and walked off, leaving Dessie standing there more than confused.

Brushing it off, she straightened out her Glamour Kills tee and headed toward the group of people, five of who she recognized. Their chatter and laughter became more apparent and understandable as she neared but none of them noticed her gaining closer.

“Oh there she is!” John informed, throwing his arm around Dessie’s shoulders as she reached them. Garrett immediately felt a wave of jealously wash over him. “Guys, this is our wonderful tour manager that threatens to leave me when I don’t hurry to the van for bus – er, van call,” John chuckled, introducing her to their family and friends.

A chorus of “hello’s” and “nice to meet you’s” allowed Dessie to feel at ease while she smiled and waved back at them. She listened in on their conversation but wasn’t really paying attention when she realized Garrett sneaking glances at her from the corner of his eye. He, too, wasn’t paying much attention to what was going on around him.

“So, dude, you in?” Jared nudged Garrett in his ribs.

“In for what?” he asked, rubbing his side and looking around at everyone.

“Were you not listening?” Garrett’s brother, Trey, threw his arms over his head. “We’re all hungry and we’ve decided to go get something to eat. Are, you, coming, or not?” he asked his brother slowly.

“Uh, yeah, yeah, of course,” Garrett smiled and rubbed the back of his neck as they all began to clear out of the venue. “You comin’, Des?”

“No, I can’t. I have a lot of things to get prepared for, especially for tomorrow,” she told him, slightly lying since she really didn’t feel like being the odd one out of the group.

“It can’t wait until later?” he asked sadly because he really wanted to be around her some more.

“I wish it could,” she played with her fingers. “But I have to talk with everyone else, and stuff,” she fumbled with her words.

“Oh, alright then. I’ll bring you something back,” he smiled, and slowly wrapped his arms around her shoulders in a nice, warm embrace. “See you later.”

“Have fun,” she said in his chest, inhaling his sweet scent before letting him go.

He waved back at her as he walked out, and Dessie sighed heavily. She was clearly falling for him faster than she would have liked, but the doubt she had of him feeling the same way ate away at her. But he did feel the same, she just couldn’t see it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...how 'bout those comments...and subscriptions?

Check out my other stories!:
Jack Barakat;
Craig Owens;
Zack Merrick;
Alex Gaskarth;
William Beckett;
John O'Callaghan.
David Blaise.