The Wordsmith

The writing was clever, and unique

Words on paper is her profession, and I first found out about her a few days before my eighteenth birthday. Maggie Stiefvater's book, Shiver, was on the stands at Barnes & Noble, and the cover had caught my eye. I read the jacket of it and thought, 'I have to get this. It can be their birthday present to me.'

Shiver in tow, I went to my dad, who was browsing, and asked if he could get the book for me. He said he would, since I suggested it could be a birthday present.

I have never regretted that decision.

The writing was clever, and unique. It was refreshing, and wild. Maggie Stiefvater's words on paper were amazing, and I thought I could learn from her, from how she wrote Shiver, and the way her words flowed.

One day, while on LiveJournal, I found her blog. I was ecstatic, to find that an inspiring author was on that website. Not wanting to feel like a stalker or anything - not like it would've mattered - I 'watched' her, meaning I followed her blog.

Her blogs were witty, and very helpful to aspiring writers. She would also blog about her day sometimes, and write rants and amusing things. She'd also write about how to get published, and other helpful advice. Two blogs that she had written I remember rather clearly, and have stuck in my head ever since, and help me keep going in life, and in writing.

The most recent one helped me believe in my writing. It was about getting published. She talked about how to get published, and that it's a long, hard road. That if you don't get published the first time, you probably just weren't ready, that you needed to practice more and not give up on it. She wrote towards the end, "Don't lament the terrible statistics. Don't look for magic formulas to getting published. Just write better. Learn everything you can. Write the next book. Get published. The odds are with you, Jedi, if you do."

That encouraged me to keep writing, and that I'll get published one day. Maybe not in the next few years, but once my writing is good enough, ready enough, that it'll soar with wings.

The other blog, was about finding your special person. Now, I've never had a romance, or a boyfriend. Forget me having been kissed; never have done that either. She talks about the 'true love' aspect, and how that there is a person out there for everyone, as long as they are willing to look. That there's a 'Sam' for every girl, meaning that there's a person for you, even if you don't know it, and even if they're right there in front of your nose and you don't see it. "Real love lets you be the person you're meant to be. It makes you a bigger person, not less of one."

It makes me feel like I will find someone, even if they may be a best friend, or someone else.

Maggie's my writing hero because she puts her words into something believable, and speaks her mind. She's helpful when needed, and downright funny when needed.

And I know I'll still think that when I go to get her next book, Linger, when it comes out.