‹ Prequel: We're All Just Pawns

Soft on the Lips, Rough on the Heart

Skinny arms wrapped their way around my torso...

I was finally relaxing. A few hours ago my aunt and I had arrived back at her apartment and the festivities had begun. First I just had to frame my diploma, according to her that is.

“Aunt P,” I pleaded as soon as I heard the doorbell ring.

“Oh hush, you knew this would happen,” she said and I smiled because it was true.

Jacob and JJ came barging in, gift bags hanging from their arms and smiles plastered across their faces. I was bombarded with hugs; hugs so tight that after just a few seconds I couldn’t breathe.

I suddenly started to cry. I forgot how good it was to be home, sure I had been home last summer, but it wasn’t as good as this was. My plans were to go to college right there in D.C. and spend some time with my aunt. I did the right thing by separating myself from Spencer, but I missed just being with people who really love you.

I hadn’t changed a lot in the two years I had been gone. I’d grown almost a whole inch and my hair was hanging halfway down my chest. Some art kids had convinced me to take some new risks with fashion, but other than that, I was completely the same. So yes, my first thought when I came in was Spencer Reid.

Jacob had baked me a cake, and it was delicious. We shared a piece and some stories. He told me of his new boyfriend, and I felt as though I had missed so much. I mean, I was lucky he showed up to this little soiree.

Their presents were adorable: tops and scarves. I couldn’t help but feel guilty they had gotten me anything at all. And my guilt doubled when I asked them to leave; I was so tired.

I jumped out of bed the next morning. So happy to be waking up in that stupid loft apartment I almost did cartwheels. And then I remembered eighth grade P.E. and our gymnastics unit, and I decided that was about the worst idea ever. I did however put on the most fun outfit I could find: a blue and white striped romper and white knee socks.

My aunt called at about ten-thirty to say that she had left some flash drive at home and ask if I would bring it to work. I said yes, not like I had anything else to do. I made a little change in her suggestion of my transportation though. She told me taxi, I was thinking roller skates.
They were something a friend had given me when I was at school. I told her I was no good, and she vowed to help me. It took five months, but once I learned my balance on them I was unstoppable. I put my hair into a tight, high ponytail and raced out of the door.

I was gliding the front door of Quantico in what seemed like no time at all. I paused only as long as I had to for my aunt to tell them I was coming, and I kept on skating. On my way through the halls I caught sight of my aunt. She smiled at me.

“When did you start stealing my amazing fashion sense?” her question made me giggle and
I hugged her. “You’re just in time Emily dear!”

“And what exactly am I in time for?” I asked, spinning circles around my aunt.

“The team’s back!” her shout echoed the hall.

I started racing down the hall, eager to see everyone. My feet nearly slipped from underneath me but strong hands caught my fall. Derek Morgan smiled down on me and I jumped to put my arms around his neck.

“When did you get back junior P?” he asked and spun me in a circle.

“I just got in yesterday. I’ve missed you big guy!” I yelled and squeezed him as tight as possible as he let me down to my feet.

Skinny arms wrapped their way around my torso and before I could let my heart beat too wildly Prentiss let out a squeal and hugged me firmly. I started to weave around the office.

“Like my moves?” I called out, moving backwards. I hit someone and they fell to their butt. I reached a hand around to help them, knowing just who it was with my luck.

“Good to see you too,” Reid said. I observed how his hair had gotten a bit longer. Hey, was he trying to copy me? He nervously laughed and I smiled, counting the number of days till I turned eighteen—ninety-two by the way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a little something for you who have already subscribed. I feel guilty because I will be leaving Friday and won't be back for eight whole days. D: