‹ Prequel: We're All Just Pawns

Soft on the Lips, Rough on the Heart

“Hey kid, she’s not even legal yet,”

I looked up at him through my lashes. I wasn’t sure if that move had ever actually worked in real life, but by the way he was swallowing hard I figured it was now. I put my hand up to my mouth to cover a laugh. I pushed backwards and went back to the rest of the team. Gideon and Hotch gave me hugs and began to have an argument between them as to where I should attend college. I didn’t listen after a few minutes; I knew where I was going anyway. And Spencer was just too distracting.

“So what do you think?” one of them asked and I just shrugged, sliding away before I had to give an actual answer.

I flew past Spence and Derek and circled around behind without them noticing.

“So Morgan, how young is too young?” This time I just knew it was about me. I grinned deviously, slowing to listen for more.

“Hey kid, she’s not even legal yet,” Morgan replied, the smirk obvious in his voice.

“I wasn’t- I mean- how did you?” His stutters ended with him clearing his throat nervously.

Morgan started to turn more to Reid and I skated away to avoid that embarrassment. This was just way too easy. I couldn’t let him win this quickly. I leaned against a wall and pulled out of my phone.

Jacob said he’d have me a date for tonight in fewer than thirty seconds, and though I thought it was impossible, he didn’t even have to hang up the phone to find me someone.

“Are they icky?” I asked, completely serious. That quickness gave me some major apprehension.

“I am appalled at your lack of faith in my taste, now go away,” he hung up on me and I smiled. This was going to accomplish so many things; pay back, leveling the playing field, and just plain fun.

I skated to Reid.

“Have you seen my aunt?” I asked, putting on a face that said I’m a perfect little angel.

“No, but is there something I can help you with?” he looked absolutely confident. I hated to do this…

“Not unless you can give me permission to go on a date tonight,” I gave a full grin; he tried not to let his disappear. A little voice told me how outright mean this was, and how I could be risking my chances with him, but I couldn’t just go plunging into this. It was my turn to hold the cards.

I skirted around him as soon as I caught my aunt’s blonde hair. She thought it was a great idea that I go out. It made my tummy feel warm that she had dropped her suspicions long ago.

I pulled a black sweater on over my bright red tank top. My aunt’s figure lingered in the doorway, as I hopped up and down in front of my mirror. My quasi-room was reassembled upon my arrival. I was using it as a giant changing room for my date; clothes were thrown into and onto everything. It was horrible that out of all the things I owned, I had on my simplest outfit; jeans, tank, sweater, the perfect bowling ensemble.

“You look ravishing darling,” my aunt said with a wink. “There’s a young man who has been sitting on our couch for about five minutes.”

I growled slightly, throwing my hands up. “You’re just now telling me?” I slipped on some

Sperry’s and ran to the living room. I was about to apologize my brains out when my breath got caught in my throat.

This guy was legit and nothing like Jacob or Reid. He was obviously ripped, not like crazy steroid-ripped, but like hot damn-ripped. His tee shirt was stretched across his broad chest and led down into some decently tight fitting jeans. Did I already say hot damn? Because I definitely meant to.

“Hello,” I murmured, running a hand across my mouth to make sure I hadn’t been doing more than mentally drooling.

“I’m Samson,” he reached a hand forward. His grasp was tight, and I smiled up at him.

“Emily,” I said not being able to force out anymore.

“So are you in school?” my aunt asked almost nosily from her place on the fall wall. I shot her a desperate look, hoping she would let us go without a bunch of questions.

“I’m starting my second year at the art institute ma’am.” I bit my lip to keep from laughing at his manners. Manners are so cute when a guy sounds sincere, and he did.

I tugged on his hand that I was still holding from our shake. “I love you Aunt P, you’re beautiful,” I smiled.

Just before the door closed she shouted, “Sucking up doesn’t get your curfew taken away.”

Later that night, I arrived home at almost eleven o’clock.

“Home already?” My aunt called to me and I kicked my shoes in a pile by the door.

“He has got to be the most stupid person that I have ever met,” I rolled my eyes.

She snorted but didn’t follow through with the laughter after I shot her a “go to hell” look. I watched her transfer a few dishes from the dishwasher to the cabinet before Aunt P turned to look at me.

“Before you even ask,” I began, taking my place on a bar stool, “yes, he was that bad. He only talked about how good looking he is. And while we were discussing something I told him he was biased and I was then forced to explain the word biased to him.”

I woke up the next morning ready to cave into the fabulous Dr. Reid. The date was stupid, and I had a genius to go find at work. I did my best to remember the things he liked about me. I put on a pair of four inch stilettos to show off the one thing I did have: killer dance legs.
I took long strides walking into the office. I have to be completely honest, I wanted him. And I wanted him in every way possible. This was completely opposite of how things normally felt. Usually life passed me by slowly, but for now, things were whizzing past.

“Nice shoes hot stuff,” my aunt said and I turned around. She gave me an awkward look and I kicked one foot cutely.

“You know how I do. After that date last night, I needed to look good,” I said with total confidence, all the while running my plans through my head.

“Hey Emily,” a voice said and my knees shook a little bit.

“Hey Spence,” I said. I ran my hands down my shirt, trying to smooth it out. I bent my knees a little and tugged my bermudas down.

His hands were in his pockets, obviously balled into fists. There was some kind of ease about his body though; it was one that I wasn’t aware he could possess. “How was that date?”

Really Spence, I thought, you really want to talk about my date? I tried to look bored, tried to give him the hint. But he stood, slightly smiling, and waiting for my answer.

“Honestly, it was a snooze fest. He was a classic narcissist,” as soon as I said it, I laughed; Sam wouldn’t have a clue what that word meant.

Reid nodded sympathetically and turned away from me. I considered grabbing his arm to stop him, but didn’t. I wish I had, because it was just so hard to watch him leave.

When I saw the piece of paper that was sticking out of my purse I assumed it was something of mine and brushed it off. During a slow period at work I reached around for my iPod; and that’s when the note fell out. I scooped it up with one hand and slipped in an ear bud with the other. It was written in the same script as the last note I had received at work.

"Meet me tonight at seven.
Plan on being there a while.
You won’t be sorry."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry guys! I've been so stuck with this story, and I've been flooded with all these other ideas. :(