‹ Prequel: We're All Just Pawns

Soft on the Lips, Rough on the Heart

I knew how this had to look, but there wasn’t much to say.

When I woke up, I was still lying right there on him. I shivered; I had kicked off the covers just like I do every night. I slid off of him quickly and pulled on the new clothes I had packed.

I texted Jacob silently and quickly, glancing up at Spence every few seconds. I sat on the foot of the bed and watched him sleep. He was smiling in his sleep when I got a text back saying that Jacob was waiting for me on the first floor.

I ripped a piece of from a notebook I found on his dresser and left a lipstick kiss on it. That’s all I left next to his warm, unconscious body.

Jacob questioned me mildly on the previous night’s events. He sighed a breath of relief as I finally answered he was really asking; did we have sex?

“Not now,” I whispered as I stepped out of the car and made my way up the stoop.

My aunt was still sleeping soundly as I tiptoed past her room and into my own. I sank down into my bed, clutching the comforter, and wishing I had stayed for just a bit longer.

I unintentionally ignored Reid for a few days. I had gotten really involved with a few dance projects that I just didn’t have time to talk to him as much as I wanted.

The next time I got to see him it was a work day and there wasn’t much I could do or say right there. We exchanged glances and I was like I always am when I see him; a tease.

He was working with Derek, maybe discussing a case, I’m not sure. However, what I am sure of is that Reid looked quite pitiful.

I was just about to walk over to him when my phone went off.

Samson sent me a message that was about three texts long. He was explaining how our ‘time apart’ had made him consider our relationship.

I stopped after text two and shut the inbox. We had no relationship, we had a date. I didn’t reply, but it did get me distracted from Spencer. I forgot that I was about to flirt with him, that I was going to try to somehow apologize for just leaving him.

I was halfway through a pile of filing I had to do when my phone began to ring. It startled me only because no one ever calls me, unless it’s important.

I held it to one ear, and balanced the files between my hands.

“Yello,” I said, laughing at myself.

“Why haven’t you texted me back?” I groaned slightly at the sound of Sams voice.

“Well I’m at work right now,” I said, doing my best to sound irritable.

I listened to nothing but the sound of his voice for several moments. Then he spoke, “Please call me as soon as you get off, please.”

I closed my phone forcefully, my eyes soon after. I rubbed my temple slowly, just listening enough to recognize JJ’s voice. I paid closer attention as she repeated herself and I took the files to third floor like she asked.

I was slammed into the wall of the stairwell soon after coming back up to the BAU.

“I missed you the other morning,” Reid’s breath floated across my face.

I looked up at him, and twitched under the pressure he was putting on my body.

“I’m sorry, I just couldn’t do the whole wake up, and have to leave you thing.” That wasn’t a lie; those were my exact thoughts when I woke up on top of Spencer.

He moved his mouth across my lips, to my chin, and down the side of my neck. But they never touched me. I wanted to lean in for the kiss but my pocket buzzed against his thigh.

I hung my head and wiggled my arm enough to grab the phone.

“Don’t forget to call me,” the text said.

Reid looked down at the word and back up at me.

“Who’s Samson?” he questioned.

I knew how this had to look, but there wasn’t much to say.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this isn't very long. And it's been forever. I've recently moved into school and been swamped. I'm so sorry. Forgive me?