‹ Prequel: We're All Just Pawns

Soft on the Lips, Rough on the Heart

“Are you leaving me again?”

“A guy I went on a date with. Apparently he’s under the impression one date equals relationship.”

Spence nodded his head and leaned off of me a tiny bit.

“Are you going to call him?” he asked his face like stone.

“Oh I don’t know,” I admitted honestly. “Maybe, just to clear things up, but I don’t especially want to.”

A corner of his mouth turned up into a smile.

“You’ll do the right thing,” he said and pecked my cheek.

What exactly does that even mean? I watched him walk away. As soon as I heard the door slam shut I screamed, loudly. I made my decision, no calling Sam; he was a big boy, and he could certainly take a hint. I composed myself before walking back up to the BAU.

We played cute little games where he would have to help me carry something, or I would just happen to tag along while Spencer went on an errand, and then we would sneak into a corner. Each time would get a little bit more risky, and it wasn’t long before he was taking off my shirt in random hallways. Something about the thrill level made me wanting more, and I suspect that was his plan all along.

I tried to get him to come with me one day, but he simply said, no. I can’t begin to describe the level of frustration that began there. Reid barely even spoke to me for days, much less touched me. I would have been just plain angry, but when I saw the smirks that accompanied his rejections, I got pissed.

One thing I can say for myself is that Spencer Reid completely underestimates my level of competence.

A few hours after I began to fume, my aunt burst into her office, looking frazzled as usual.

“Are you leaving me again?” I whined, choosing not pout but just to lean my head on the desk pitifully.

“I haven’t left you since you’ve been back!” she replied.

I just lay there. “I guess not, but I just miss you so much.”

Her tousled blonde curls furiously shook. “You’re not coming with us, it is entirely too dangerous.”

I nodded empathetically. “I understand, I do, I was just saying.”

Aunt P turned without another look back, and I thought for a moment that I had lost my skills.
That is, until she came rushing back in with her keys in hand.

“Are you just going to sit there or come pack with me?” I smiled at her question. “Don’t say a word or I will feel like a failure at being an authority figure.”

I zipped my lips and locked with the pretend key.

I climbed onto the jet with Hotch and Aunt P; we were the firsts on.

“Emily, you should know that we’re going to need you to be very conscientious while we’re here. There is someone very dangerous on the loose, and we don’t want you to be hurt,” Hotch said in his stern voice and I nodded. “Good, now I can say that I’m glad you’re coming. You could really have a future in this.”

I beamed and relaxed back into my seat. I watched with a smile on my face as the rest of the team loaded up. It’s amazing how unnoticed I sat, in the back, watching as they began to profile. JJ, Emily, Spence, and Derek chattered away as I dozed off.

I woke just as we landed and the tension in the cabin hadn’t changed much. They had made zero progress on the case, but apparently I was noticed. A baby blue blanket was draped across my shoulders, a pillow under my head.

“Well hello sleepy head,” JJ cooed as she turned to face me.

I merely grunted in response and rubbed my eyes. All eyes were on me, though I wasn’t sure why that was. Spencer’s face in particular was very peculiar. At first glance, his face was angry and twisted. But then I looked again and all I saw was lust, lots of lust. It was one of those combinations you just had to have seen, and I was hoping I was the only one seeing it.

I could feel his eyes on me as we exited the plane and climbed into cars to drive up to the hotel. I had a nice room with JJ, suited with my aunt and Emily. I was thankful to not be stuck with Aunt P and her hovering over my every move.

That first day was super hectic for everyone, but me. I took a swim in the pool, stared out the
window and went to sleep; I couldn’t remember a more boring night. I wish I could say the next day was much better, but it wasn’t. I was forbade to leave the hotel without an escort and since all the escorts were out to work.

I threw on a pair of shorts and a tank top and ran out to the fitness center. I worked there for just a little while before heading back up. I wiped the very thin layer of sweat from my brow and climbed my way to the fourth floor. I had already given up on a good day when I saw Spencer walking in front of me, on his way to his room. I smirked with evil thoughts as I tried to silently catch up.

But of course he turned and looked at me, this time without any visible feeling on his face. I stopped walking, and so did he. Spencer held one long finger to his lips, then motioned for me to follow. I tiptoed, afraid someone would come and ruin the moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh here you go! There should be another update tonight. :) I love you guys. I hope you'll still read this.