‹ Prequel: We're All Just Pawns

Soft on the Lips, Rough on the Heart

“We’re going to have a great life, you and I."

“Someone call the cops,” Spencer barked, grabbing a handkerchief from his back pocket and picking up the knife.

“We are the cops,” Morgan said with an awkward laugh.

Reid slammed his fists on the counter. “This isn’t fucking funny. Emily is gone, probably far away from here, and it’s my entire fault.”

Slowly, and somehow faster than Garcia and Morgan could comprehend, Reid recalled everything he could about Samson.

“I should have made sure that she took care of it. I knew that guy was creepy, and I never even met him.”

Derek rubbed his fingers across his goatee, and he turned slightly away from the others. “I just don’t understand,” he said quietly. “Why are you blaming yourself so much for this? Why did she talk to you about him? And how are we going to find them?”

Emily’s POV

Blindfolded and handcuffed, Samson walked me slowly through a maze of halls. Finally, a door clicked behind us and I was able to sit and rest. I felt around with my hands as soon as
I was released and I was nearly positive I was on a bed.

His clammy hands brushed hair off of my collar bone before removing the blindfold. There weren’t any windows, but the soft blue paint on the walls lightened my mood. Sam emptied his pockets onto the bedside table, quickly grabbing a ring with two keys on it.

“I don’t want to see any bruises on those pretty wrists of yours,” he said and slipped the cuffs off quickly.

I rubbed my wrists and scooted as far away from him on the bed as possible. My head filled with an insane pressure, and I could feel the tears sliding down my cheeks.

“Don’t cry, no don’t cry.” With a tissue that he pulled from his jacket pocket, Samson dabbed at my eyes. I flinched and he stood. “I suppose it will take a while for us to get to a better place. It shouldn’t have come to this. We’re just so right for each other, and you can’t see that.”

I thought his spiel would never end. But finally he excused himself to the restroom and I had time to think. I patted my pockets down. My phone was on the counter, by the flowers and I
had nothing else with me.

My heart raced when I saw Samson’s blackberry, just lying on the table. Quickly I dialed the only number I knew, my own. I heard the toilet flushed and replaced the phone right where it had been. I rearranged myself on the bed as if I had never moved.

“We’re going to have a great life, you and I,” he explained with a smile.

Spencer’s POV

Before Derek, Penelope, or myself could call for any backup my phone began to ring. Or rather, I thought it was my phone. We checked around and found Emily’s cell behind the vase. The screen lit up, Samson Cell. I answered it briskly, yelling her name. Garcia took the phone from me and placed it on speaker phone. Morgan shushed me.

The voices were very quiet, but we could definitely hear a male and female. I knew it was

Emily; I had no doubts about that.

Mumbles turned into words. Garcia or Morgan had slipped a pad and pencil into my hands as soon as I started to babble out a translation of the phone conversation.

“Can’t you tell me anything about where we are?” Emily questioned and I could hear the
slightest tremble at the end.

“No, no, no. You’re too smart. I can’t let you get away from me again,” the man, Samson, muttered.

I ran my left hand through my hair, tugging as hard as possible. Words were slipping out and I couldn’t catch them. Garcia tried to give me a reassuring touch, but I just flinched and made her continue pacing. We were wasting time not calling in back-up, but we would waste time waiting on the backup.

I started chewing on the eraser of the pencil, waiting to understand something. I knew I was past the point of stressed. I don’t chew on pencils.

“You have to tell me something about this place Samson. I demand to know where I’m starting my family.”

She moved closer to the phone. I could hear it. She called on purpose. That’s what happened. Emily is too clever for this all to be an accident.

“A family?” his voice was now the one to tremble.

“Well of course,” she said assertively. If I was about to throw up from worry, I might be able to find this amusing. “If you expect to have a new life with me I’m going to need to start a family eventually.”

Samson’s voice grew louder. He was closer to the phone, and to Emily.

“I’m so happy to hear you say that,” he exclaimed.

Penelope shrieked, “I’ve got it!” and my heart stopped.

“What was that?” Samson asked and Garcia grew paler than usual.

Emily lied her way into a distraction, as we all held our breath. Garcia made her way to the very state of the art computer in the living room. She motioned Derek nearer and his smile grew wide.

“What’s this? Who did you call?” I sharply inhaled, still scribbling down the words.

Emily stuttered. “No one Sam. You must have done that silly butt dial thing,” she chuckled.

“Why has it been on for more than a half hour then? You don’t have you phone. Someone
must have answered. FUCK. We’re going, now.”

It all happened so quickly I wasn’t sure what to do. Garcia was applauding herself and all I could do was trip my way over the rug.

“Morgan, call for help now. He figured out that she called us and he is not happy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
To anyone who is still reading this... Sorry my hiatus was longer than the last ice age. <3