Status: Completed :)

A Particular Needle

Part Twelve

I woke up to my phone vibrating. I quickly picked it up and headed into the bathroom so I wouldn't wake Spencer.

"Hello?" I asked as I answered it, trying to be as quiet as I could.

"Venus? You're in so much trouble!" my mom shouted from the other end.

"Mom, I'm not three, you don't control me," I reminded her. "I hate Blake. I don't ever want to see his face again, let alone eat dinner with him. Accept it."

"I'm not about to accept that," she told me. "Venus, you and Blake were so great, I don't know what kind of a mother I would be if I didn't teach you that you have to work at things, especially relationships. Just because you had a little fight, doesn't mean it should be over for good."

"It wasn't a little fight! Mom, just please stay out of my business. I know what I'm doing."

"Your father wants to speak to you," she said quietly.

"Hey Venus," I heard him say. "Where are you? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, Dad, I'm fine," I laughed, he was always so concerned. "I'm at Spencer's."

"Oh really?" I could practically hear his smile. "You should bring him over today, since I'm off. I want to meet him."

"Is Mom okay with that?"

"Yeah, yeah, she'll be fine," he whispered. "She's listening." I heard my mom yell at my dad in the background. "Oh, relax Pauline. Listen Venus, bring him over today around lunch, Jenna's mom suggested we should all get together so I'll arrange a barbecue at our place so it won't be as awkward."

"Nice Dad," I laughed.

"I got your back," he chuckled. "Don't worry about last night either, your mother is going to try and make you feel bad about it, but we're both just glad you're okay. I ended up having to call Blake's parents and telling them you came down with something."

"You should have just told them the truth."

"I thought about it, but it meant a lot to your mother. Even though she couldn't be more wrong in this situation, I didn't want to put her on the spot. You getting sick was just as good."

"Dad, how many people do you think will be over today?"

"Hm, well your mom has already called Jenna's and Taylor's parents, I'm sure the neighbors will be coming too, why?"

"I was just wondering at how many people Spencer would be meeting," I admitted. "I think this is promising, but it's still so early."

"If it doesn't work out, I'll make up a lie to tell everyone, okay darling? I'm getting pretty good at it, I think."

I laughed. "Thanks Dad, I'll see you later, okay?"

"Bye honey," he said before I hung up the phone.

I walked out of the bathroom and back into Spencer's bedroom, only to notice he wasn't there. Had he even been here this whole time? I checked the clock, it was almost nine. He could be working on a case.

I'm not sure how the whole FBI thing works. I noticed a letter on the end table and a visitor card. Spencer had been called in, but he'd be at the office all day. He said if I wanted to visit him, I could. I thought that sounded like a pretty cute idea.

I realized I didn't really have anything to wear except that frilly red dress. My mom would flip if she found out I wore that out on a date with Spencer. I thought quickly and called Taylor to bring me some clothes.

"Finally you're here," I greeted her half an hour after I called her.

She had a H&M bag in her hand that she gave to me. I look inside to see she had done a good job of selecting me an outfit from her wardrobe. Taylor and I didn't exactly have the same taste. I wore t-shirts and jeans while she wore halters and skirts. She found me a pair of acid washed jeans and a loose blue shirt that fell off the shoulder. I matched it with the runners I had in my bag.

"Your hair is a mess," Taylor laughed as I came out of the bathroom, changed.

Taylor had no problem making herself comfortable in Spencer's apartment. She was lying on the couch with the TV on and eating some wine gums she found in his cupboard. I'm going to have to explain why those are missing later.

"Shit, I forgot," I mumbled.

I spent another half hour just fixing my hair and make up, then I was finally ready. I put my dress and heels in the bag I had brought and slipped the visitor pass around my neck.

"You think you could give me a ride to your mom's work?" I asked Taylor.

"Sure."

She clicked off the TV and we left.

*****

"Well, look who it is," Prentiss said. She smiled at me.

She was leaning against Morgan's desk, talking to him. Spencer was leaning back in his chair, involved in the conversation as well.

"Hey," I said sheepishly.

"So you decided to come after all," Spencer said.

"Yeah, I actually wanted to talk to you," I told him.

"Hey Morgan, we have to go, we've got that thing," Prentiss said.

"We do?" Morgan questioned.

"Yeah, that thing, remember?"

"No." Morgan shook his head.

"Oh for Christ's sake, let's go," Prentiss cried as she began to pull him away. She managed to slip me a wink.

"So what's up?" Spencer asked as I sat down in Morgan's chair.

"My dad wants to meet you. My parents are having this barbecue today, and Taylor's and Jenna's family are going to be there. A few of my neighbors are going over as well, and he wants me to bring you," I explained. "You don't have to come if you don't want to, I know it's like a big step meeting the rents and all. They wouldn't make it awkward, but it's totally up to you. You can tell me if you don't want to go."

"No, I do," he told me.

"Really?"

"Yeah, it sounds like fun. I'll get to meet your dad and maybe change your mom's opinion about me."

"Well the first half of that sentence will come true," I teased.

Spencer laughed. "So what are you doing til then?"

"I don't really have anything planned."

Spencer smiled at me. "You can stay here."

I pulled a chair from an empty desk up to his. He had a case file on his desk that he was looking through. I gasped at the pictures that were included. Spencer quickly closed the file.

"Too much?" he asked.

Before I could answer, JJ hurried passed and told Spencer to meet in the conference room. He picked up the case file and turned to me before he left.

"I might not make the barbecue," he said.

*****

"Hey darling," my dad greeted me.

I followed him into the backyard. My parents had brought the card table from the basement outside and my mom was now placing plates and cups on it.

"You're early," my mom stated.

"I know."

"I'll bring some chairs up from downstairs. Venus, can you help me?" my dad asked.

I nodded and we headed back inside. My dad and I carried up about twenty lawn chairs. My mom had extra chairs for the patio set, which only regularly sat four, in the shed which she had pulled out, too. By the time every thing was ready, it was already two and Taylor's family showed up. Every one else showed up in the next half hour. Everyone except Spencer. It wasn't long until my dad asked to talk to me in the kitchen and brought him up.

"So what happened?" he asked.

"Dad, why do you assume something happened? Can't he just not be here?"

"Venus, are you okay?"

"Yes, Dad, I'm fine! Spencer just had a case, okay? It's nothing."

I kept telling my dad and myself I was fine, but I was truly scared. Spencer was miles away, trying to catch a serial killer. Anything could happen to him. It was normal to be scared and there was nothing wrong with me, but I can't help but feel like there is. I'm terrified he won't come back. I remember just how brutal the killer in Cancun was. I couldn't be around that ever again, let alone do it for a job.

What if another girl runs down the street in heels while it's pouring rain? What if he happens to be there to help her and she falls head over heels?

"Your mother invited Blake," my dad sighed. "I told her not to, but she went and did it anyways."

"I don't want Blake, Dad, I want Spencer to come home safe." My voice was shaky because I was trying to hold back tears.

Every one here noticed there was something wrong with me, I've barely been talking all day. I realized it, but I just didn't think Spencer would have such an affect on me, so I tried to ignore it. I guess I'm not as good at faking it as I thought.

My dad gave me his car keys. He didn't say anything, but I took a hint. I hurried into the backyard and rounded up Taylor and Jenna.

"Do you guys want to ditch?" I asked.

"Have you been crying?" Jenna questioned.

I shook my head. "Allergies. So what do you say?"

"Let's do it." Taylor shrugged and the finished off her drink.

"Did my mother give you alcohol?" I looked in her finished cup.

Taylor grinned.

"I'm not going," Jenna declined.

"Look at all these people here, they're not going to even notice," I assured her. "And it's not like they control us. Come on, Jenna, act your age."

Taylor laughed. "You're such a bad influence, let me drive."

"Tay, no, you can practically smell the wine on you."

"That doesn't matter as long as we don't get pulled over," Taylor protested.

Jenna shook her head at Taylor in disappointment. "I'll see you guys later."

"Aw c'mon, you're a big girl," Taylor taunted.

Jenna just rolled her eyes and walked away. Taylor laughed as we left.

I had no idea where to go, but I knew I couldn't go home until tonight. Taylor was all giggly, because that's what wine does to her. Taylor always drinks red wine if she's going to drink any alcohol.

I watched her mess around with the radio. I drove out of town, just because I felt the need to get away. Spencer could so easily leave every thing here, including me. Why can't I do the same?

Outside of town, there was a little bar. There were only three cars in the parking lot, so I decided this could be a good place to hide.

Not that I was hiding, because hiding is like running away from something that scares you. I was not scared of my mother, nor Blake.

I was scared of confrontation.