Status: Completed :)

A Particular Needle

Part Nine

I rolled over on my bed. I stared at my cell phone which was at eye level. Do I turn it on? I’ll have to if I want to call Spencer. Do I want to call Spencer? Stupid question.

I ended up turning my cell phone on after a few minutes of debating with myself. I read through all of the texts and wrote down all the people that called me so I could call them back later. Right now I decided on calling Taylor.

“Hey V!” Taylor exclaimed.

“Since when did you get caller ID?” I laughed.

“Okay, I have no idea what I did, but when I came home my parents gave me a new phone with caller ID, Internet access, and a whole bunch of other stuff.”

The line went quiet for a second or so. We both knew she hadn’t done anything, Clarity is the reason she got that phone. I knew Taylor’s parents. Whenever she did something really well, like won a hockey game or dance competition, her parents would smother her in gifts. I can only imagine what she’s getting now that they realize it could've been her in Clarity's place.

“Are you busy today?” I asked her. I wasn't prepared to sit around the house and be left with the opportunity to let my thoughts get the best of me.

“Actually, my mom pulled some strings and I’m supposed to head down to the FBI Academy.”

“Are you serious? That’s so awesome, Tay! You’re going to love it, I know it.”

She laughed. “Yeah, I hope so. I’m really excited. She says she’ll give me a tour and I’ll get to see her office and stuff. What are your plans for today?”

“I don’t have any, but I’ll probably just find someone to chill with.”

“Wanna come?” she offered. “That guy you like might be there.”

“Taylor, you’re forgetting about Blake,” I reminded her, laughing lightly, because this was typical Taylor behaviour.

“Oh, I didn’t forget,” she scoffed. “He’s a tool. I like the badass FBI guy better.”

“I don’t think badass is the correct term."

“So he’s kind of on the pipe cleaner side, but he can still be badass!”

“I guess you’re right,” I snickered. “I’ll get my mom to drive me over to your house then.”

“No, it’s cool,” Taylor told me. “My parents have been bending over backwards lately, we’ll come pick you up, okay? Be ready in about an hour.”

“Got it, see you soon.”

*****

I saw the familiar BMW pull into my driveway. I told my mom where I'd be and she said she'd have cookies made for me by the time I got home. It was just like her to do.

"Hi Mrs. Strauss," I said as I got into the backseat.

Taylor leaned towards me from the passenger's seat. She was smiling.

"Hello Venus," Mrs. Strauss said back.

She was very serious. Taylor's dad was nearly always laughing and having a good time, but her mother wouldn't relax for a second. She scared me. I was glad I wasn't Taylor, because if I ever did anything wrong I think I would cry if Mrs. Strauss yelled at me.

"Mom, can we stop at Starbucks?" Taylor asked her.

I could see Mrs. Strauss nod in the middle mirror. Taylor knew what I would want.

After Starbucks, we headed over to the Academy. It was literally like going through airport security, minus the fact we got to keep our drinks. Taylor and I had to wear visitor cards around our necks.

We followed Mrs. Strauss around for an hour. It took an hour and all she did was briefly show us around. The last place she took us was to the BAU, since she knew Taylor loved everything about profiling and this is the place she'd want to ask the most questions. Mrs. Strauss asked Prentiss to show us around and answer our questions. Apparently they had arranged this before and Prentiss said she'd love to do it.

I had no idea Mrs. Strauss worked with the team we saw in Cancun. Taylor obviously didn't either, because she didn't say anything at the hotel. She even seemed surprised to see the FBI team.

"If you girls need anything, you know where my office is," Mrs. Strauss told us. She had showed us her office previously. She turned to Prentiss before she walked away. "Thanks for this, Emily."

Prentiss just smiled at her and then looked at us.

"How are you?" she asked as she looked specifically at me.

"I'm doing better," I told her while smiling.

"It's still so recent," Prentiss sighed. "It'll get easier."

She started walking and we followed her. She showed us their conference room and we met the blond girl I didn't recognize last night. Her name is Penelope Garcia, but everyone gets called by their last name. She was super friendly and showed us what she was allowed to. Some things were obviously confidential.

We stopped by Hotch's office. I haven't seen him smile yet, but I think I will soon. We also stopped by Rossi's. He looked just delighted to see me. I didn't really talk to him, but Taylor asked a few questions just like she had the others. He said it was nice to see me again, but we both knew that was a lie.

Finally she showed us the ground desks. When you went down a few stairs, you were on a level with tons of desks and people rushing around. She showed us her desk. It was right beside Morgan's and in front of Spencer's. Morgan was at his desk. JJ was standing and talking to him. Spencer wasn't anywhere around.

"Hey ladies," Morgan greeted us. "I'd know that face anywhere." He laughed as he looked at me.

I kind of blushed a little tiny bit.

"Oh, I remember you too," JJ piped up. "You're from the Cancun case, right? I never caught your name."

"I'm Venus," I told them. Taylor nudged me ever so slightly. "And this is Taylor. She wants to join the BAU someday."

"It's very nice to meet you," Morgan said to Taylor as he held out his hand. Taylor was all bubbly as she shook it.

"What brings you guys here?" JJ asked.

"I'm giving them a tour," Prentiss explain. "Strauss's orders."

"Want something to drink?" JJ offered.

Taylor shook her head, but I nodded. She had Morgan waist deep in questions about the BAU. Prentiss showed me where to go and I went ahead. Not because I was thirsty, but because this would buy me some time to look for Spencer.

I cleared my throat and steadied myself against the counter. Spencer turned around as he stirred his coffee.

"I thought you might be here," I laughed.

"What are you doing here?" He looked puzzled.

I was a little shocked with his greeting, but I tried to hide it when I answered him. "Taylor's mom...um, I guess you'd call her Strauss...she arranged a tour for Taylor and me."

He still looked puzzled and now a little uncomfortable.

"Is there something wrong?" I looked out the doorway to where Taylor was harassing the other members of the team. "I'll go."

"How is, um, Blake, I believe it is?" he asked.

"Is that what this is about? Why would you tell me I could call you if you aren't over it?"

"Did you really just ask me that?" It sounded like a question, but it was clearly rhetorical.

"I didn't mean--Spencer, you know what I mean! I understand it's, uh, different since I'm with Blake, but--"

"Different? But? Do you hear yourself?" He stepped a little closer to me. He paused for a second before he looked at me sympathetically and walked past.

I turned and watched him walk over to where Morgan, JJ, Prentiss, and Taylor were. I slowly walked over to hear Taylor and Spencer getting along famously. Taylor loved all the long answers she was getting about the BAU.

JJ had to look over some new cases and Mrs. Strauss had called Prentiss into her office. Morgan wasn't doing anything so he asked me if I'd like to go for a walk and I agreed. We walked away and left Taylor at Spencer's desk. They enjoyed each others company because Taylor was good at listening and Spencer was good at talking.

Morgan lightly pushed on a door to expose a room for me.

"Prentiss showed you the interrogation rooms?" Morgan asked. "Oh wait!" He paused dramatically after he said it and then laughed.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. "You're hilarious, Morgan. Did you think of that one yourself?" I questioned sarcastically.

"It took me all night."

Morgan's smile was one of the happiest smiles I've ever seen. It made me smile from ear to ear after one look.

We walked in to the room and I placed my hand on the table. I remembered the one in Cancun, it looked almost exactly the same. The chairs were a little different and the room was a little bigger, but it still had that cold terrifying feel to it. I remembered falling to the ground in the rain with Spencer being the only one to help me. I pushed those thoughts out of my head for now.

"This room is intimidating," I said.

Morgan looked around at the room as if he was seeing it in a new light.

"Have you ever been on the other side of the table?" I sat down in the chair closest to the door, where the Agent would sit. Morgan looked at the other chair and slowly sat down. "Scary?"

Morgan leaned back in the chair with one hand on the table and he shrugged. "I'd be more terrified if I didn't know exactly what the person interrogating me was thinking."

"You don't know what I'm thinking." I smiled playfully.

"I know you want the truth, and I know you're going to do whatever you can to get it out of me. I also know that you want to go to the victims family and tell them you caught the sick twisted person who did this to their loved one." Morgan tensed up somewhere during what he told me. I only noticed because he relaxed noticeably after.

"You okay?" I asked softly.

Morgan nodded and I left it at that.

We walked around a little bit more and then we headed back to where Spencer and Taylor were. Mrs. Strauss had appeared, telling Taylor her dad would be there in a few minutes to pick us up.

"I guess we've got to go now," Taylor said.

"Bye Morgan," I squealed as I squeezed him.

Morgan let out a breath and laughed. Then Taylor said goodbye to him and they started talking. Spencer sat down at his desk and seemed to isolate himself from us. I stared at him as he was reading, thinking of the right thing to say.

"V, my dad's here. He just texted me," Taylor told me.

"Your dad texts?" Morgan asked.

"He's faster than I am," Taylor laughed.

Spencer looked up at me.

"Okay," I said back to Taylor, even though I didn't turn around.

Spencer let himself up from the chair and stood in front of me. "See you later, Venus."