Status: Incomplete

Escape

Escape

He was going to screw us, take all of our money just for us to escape. We had nothing; so did everyone and this priest controlled the buses out.
Like the rest of the people here my clan were refugees. Amy was playing with the two children whilst her mother repaired the rucksacks and clothes we had.
I caught sight of the priest walking amongst the assorted baggage. He didn't dress like a priest anymore but I could tell by his behaviour and body language. Something about the Seminary never left those it taught.
He wasn't corrupt but the disaster and attacks had catapulted him into a position of worth and he was milking it.
I followed him down the hall to his office. Catching up as he paused to allowed a family past.
"So how much money do you make from every poor soul Father?"
He had his back to the wall. I was on the opposite side of the hall facing him.
"Don't call me that. I'm a priest no longer."
He quickened his pace as he walked to the door of his office at the end of the hall.
I followed catching the door as it swung shut.
"Your a man of charity Father. Why are you stealing from the poor." I stood my ground in front of the door. I didn't want him dodging me and the questions I had.
"Don't pay the price and you won't go." His tone was flat. He didn't look up from the papers in front of him.
I wanted a reaction. I put my hands on the desk and leant forward carefully prounouncing each word.
"Do you know your exploiting people who've lost everything?"
"Yes" he spoke defiantly. But I saw a muscle twitch in his face. I was getting to him.
"So why betray the church?" I hadn't moved and neither had he. I could tell his resolve was cracking.
"Don't bait me boy or you won't go." I cracked first. Anger was always something close to my surface these days.
I struck him across the face and leapt the desk. He wasn't a strong man nor a fighting man. The Seminary had put paid to that.
He tried to escape but I clamped his feet and pulled. I pushed my knee into his back and prepared to smash the back of his head.
"Do this and you won't go. The drivers listen to me" His voice was muffled by the carpet.
I gritted my teeth. I'd just proved I was still just an angry impetuous young man. I'd risked escape because of my anger at this priest.
"Your leaving us with nothing!"
"You won't go"
I let him go and stormed to the door. Wrenching it open I paused to look as he stood and dusted himself off. He was clearly relieved but I saw little else as I slammed the door.

The man with the hand fungus was asleep by the big doors. He was a tour guide or something; dressed in a beige suit except he wore shorts instead of trousers.
The priest left his office and stood by the far wall.
"The buses are coming , you can all leave"
He didn't look and neither did I. But we were on.
The tour guide looked weary but a smile cracked across his features.
"Oh good. We'll be away soon and safe." He acted like he was touring on a safari.
The priest had said buses and I knew he would only use one. Did he know something?.
Was the Nano getting closer or were the things going to shoot from the sky again?
He had walked down another corridor. I followed crossing the walkway across the forecourt.
I spotted an old man praying through a open doorway. The Lords Prayer evidently the priest wasn't alone. Was the whole clergy here?
Looking across the cityscape I gasped.
My fears were confirmed. A tentacle had struck.
It was a good distance away but it was a tentacle nonetheless. More would strike soon or the Nano would be here.
I was lost. I needed to get back to Amy and the clan. I was alone and the garage was now on the opposite side of the tarmac. The buses had arrived and I saw the begginings of the scramble as they pulled up.
A man tossed his peanuts and jumped the balcony rail. I considered dropping to the roof of the buses. I needed to be with Amy now not looking for this priest.
I needed answers. About the Nano, the tentacles and this new 'safe' place the buses were taking us.